Budget 0-20k Keyboard for typing experience - in a budget

Ssreek

Adept
I've been using this keyboard model for almost 7 years (bought a new one of same model after 3 years and now the 2nd one is also dead).
In the recent months, I have been required to type a lot of content. So I'm looking for something that offers a better typing experience.

I've never tried any mechanical ones, though I am not sure if I would get good ones under 2.5k budget. I will probably a buy a better mechanical keyboard, like rk keyboards, in a year or so.
But for now, need something that could help do the job better, and also last atleast 2 years without giving any trouble.

Let me know if there are any good keyboards for my purpose. Doesn't matter if wired or wireless or backlit or membrane or mechanical, typing experience is priority.

Last edited:
If you want to just try out mechanical keyboard, HP GK320 could be a good starting point. I haven't used other mechanical keyboards, so can't comment on how good it is relative to those, but as compared to my previous Logitech wireless, it's a significant step up in typing experience.

It's a bit tall and loud, so you might need a separate palm rest and the noise might bother. But it's available for 1.3k (and there's one in the market place for even lower), so a good starting point if you just want to try.

Your budget ? Is it 20k or 2.5k ?
Rs.2500... I wouldn't ask if it was 20k :p

If you want to just try out mechanical keyboard, HP GK320 could be a good starting point. I haven't used other mechanical keyboards, so can't comment on how good it is relative to those, but as compared to my previous Logitech wireless, it's a significant step up in typing experience.

It's a bit tall and loud, so you might need a separate palm rest and the noise might bother. But it's available for 1.3k (and there's one in the market place for even lower), so a good starting point if you just want to try.
Will check it out...this popped in my suggestions when i was checking for tvs keyboards

Rs.2500... I wouldn't ask if it was 20k :p

Will check it out...this popped in my suggestions when i was checking for tvs keyboards
TVS Gold is significantly better than HP GK320. Have used both.
2.5K is on the lower side/entry side for a good quality mechanical keyboard. For better build quality, you might have to increase your budget a bit. Royal Kludge keyboard can be found for around 4K and up. If budget is firm, go with Red Dragon models. They are pretty close to RK but some features might be missing. TVS Gold might last longer than all these, I think. But last time I used them was years ago, so I am not sure if they are still maintaining that quality.

TVS Gold is significantly better than HP GK320. Have used both.
2.5K is on the lower side/entry side for a good quality mechanical keyboard. For better build quality, you might have to increase your budget a bit. Royal Kludge keyboard can be found for around 4K and up. If budget is firm, go with Red Dragon models. They are pretty close to RK but some features might be missing. TVS Gold might last longer than all these, I think. But last time I used them was years ago, so I am not sure if they are still maintaining that quality.

My initial plan was to upgrade to RK87 or RK100, esp for gaming and general use, after a year or before.
But the present keyboard suddenly doesn't work and I have to buy one. That's why looking at alternatives in this budget. The only feature I'd require here is typing experience. Tvs ones had good reviews but they changed keys and designs now. Need to see if anyone from our forum bought and experienced new ones.

My initial plan was to upgrade to RK87 or RK100, esp for gaming and general use, after a year or before.
But the present keyboard suddenly doesn't work and I have to buy one. That's why looking at alternatives in this budget. The only feature I'd require here is typing experience. Tvs ones had good reviews but they changed keys and designs now. Need to see if anyone from our forum bought and experienced new ones.

I can vouch for RK87 and RK100 both. Typing was quite comfortable and nice. Check this out -
If possible, give it a try. They are well-made for the price. Which model to pick is based on your usage/keys needed.

I can vouch for RK87 and RK100 both. Typing was quite comfortable and nice. Check this out -
If possible, give it a try. They are well-made for the price. Which model to pick is based on your usage/keys needed.

Bro, I have no doubt they are great. Heard some vgood reviews about them. But can't invest 6k yet. That is the case.
Hence, need something within 2.5k, for now.

TVS Gold is significantly better ..
+1 for TVS Gold. They are indeed the hardiest keyboards I have ever used. I found the loud click and the feedback to my liking but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I had one with Cherry Blue keys which I sold and went low profile with a MX Keys. I should add that if you are into a heavy typing, a palm rest makes a lot of difference and please do not skimp on getting a good keyboard if you are looking to prioritize on a comfortable typing experience. It does pay off in the long run.

Can you tell me what's the battery life like at 10 hours of use per day?
I have since then upgraded to GMK67 and don't actually remember charging times for RK ones. I estimate it's around 3-4 days or more. Also, I like to keep LEDs on, so more often I used the keebs plugged in. Wireless is only handy when you want to use it with another pc, laptop or tablet. On the desk with my main pc, I prefer wired. Don't have to worry about charging.

Currently considering following keyboards..let me know if anyone experienced them.

1. Redgear Shadow Blade Mechanical Keyboard
  2. Redragon Kumara K552
  3. HP GK320
  4. Skeptical about TVS keyboards, as many said the design/switches are changed. Didn't find any old ones in olx. Have to see where I can find such old ones on Hyderabad.
Recently bought the HP GK320 for office use and I am loving it. At home I am using HyperX Alloy elite but I enjoyed more typing on the gk320.

Cosmic bytes and reddragon mechanical keyboards in this price range are good. I have been using cosmic bytes CK-16 firefly for the past 2 years and is satisfied with it.

Cosmic bytes and reddragon mechanical keyboards in this price range are good. I have been using cosmic bytes CK-16 firefly for the past 2 years and is satisfied with it.
Thanks for the suggestion...Didn't even remember Cosmic byte... Keyboard collection seems good.

Redgear shadowblade is out of the question, even though it's great with features, many reddit posts say it's no longer in production and they provide some other model as replacement in case something happens.

Cosmic Byte CB-GK-34 Firefly seems the better option, with full swappable switches...Will wait if there is some discount/sale, otherwise will mostly get this one.

Thanks for the suggestion...Didn't even remember Cosmic byte... Keyboard collection seems good.

Redgear shadowblade is out of the question, even though it's great with features, many reddit posts say it's no longer in production and they provide some other model as replacement in case something happens.

Cosmic Byte CB-GK-34 Firefly seems the better option, with full swappable switches...Will wait if there is some discount/sale, otherwise will mostly get this one.
look you will have good experience with mechanical kb if you take the right one with right value for money. CB n stuff have very poor quality and they start giving issues quite soon. Source - feedback from actual users.

if you just want for timepass and trial, you take a used TVS Gold with Cherry red keys (blue are noisy) for 7-800 and make do till you can save for a nice one.
Or go upto to 4000 and take Royal Kludge kb with your desired format and brown switches. Browns have good tactile resistance (albeit very slight) to give a good typing feel. Reds are quite linear which is good for gaming but in typing there may be mistypes. Blue is quite noisy so i prefer to avoid it.

I have used membrane for 20 years, then started with red, then brown switches and now waiting for my custom modded keychron with tactile switches and XDA key caps. If it wasnt obvious, this is a like a rabbit hole where there is no upper limit.

TLDR - dont waste money on CB red dragon red gear shit.

Here is my feedback: I am a touch typist. Using Cosmic Byte blue mech from 2+ years, no issues. Actually pretty satisfied with it, even bought custom keycaps for it. The built quality is solid and heavy.
My kid, their friends and even babies like this keyboard. It even has handled mashing by the babies.

Using this Cosmic Byte CB-GK-13 brown switch for the past 2 years now. Still works great and feels great to type on. I used to be a fast typer but I haven't done any work recently which requires me to type as fast as I used to (pb was like 130 wpm before on monkeytype and usual typing speed was around 80 to 90ish). Honestly brown feels nice. I've tried both blue and red switches as well, blue is too noisy and clicky and red, I personally don't see the point of having red switches as I've deadset established a mechanical kb should have a tactile feel in my dictionary. Brown has that nice balance. There's probably various enthusiasts out there who will have a million different opinions about keyboards, switches, lubes :)oops:) but honestly these work fine too.

And OP, as you said, you just need a placeholder kb for now. Get a redragon or cosmicbyte or whatever chinese oem you can get, they absolutely do the job, there's no need to spend more than 4k on a kb until you actually want to.

Note :- Damn just saw that these kbs are all out of stock, none of the outeumu brown switch kbs are available in stock anywhere anymore.

Back