Kindly help with step by step guide to install a few softwares on raspberry pi

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
Hii have a 4gb Rpi 4
Using it since 8 months with my router through pihole to block adverts.

I wish to install a few more things
1.. A personal email server
2.. Way to add a hdd or external drive to stream videos to my firestick or via wifi to KY tvs
3.. Some other softwares that you great guys can suggest which have great Utility.

Please consider me as a tidal noob here, don't remember how exactly i installed the os and then pihole etc on the pi. I tend to forget such tech things pretty quickly

So kindly share a noob friendly guide

Would be grateful.

I don't have pi but would love to know the details. Especially the streaming part and whether I can use it for torrent download on attached external hdd automatically (especially from private tracker).

I don't have pi but would love to know the details. Especially the streaming part and whether I can use it for torrent download on attached external hdd automatically (especially from private tracker).
Checkout Dietpi. Can easily install many things like qbittorrent, sonarr, radarr, jackett, plex and also can easily connect hard disk via samba.

Checkout Dietpi. Can easily install many things like qbittorrent, sonarr, radarr, jackett, plex and also can easily connect hard disk via samba.
Yep dietpi is good, The the question is how and that was my original query as well, how to install it on a setup that has a running pihole already.

Yep dietpi is good, The the question is how and that was my original query as well, how to install it on a setup that has a running pihole already.
Take a backup of your existing pihole config from Settings>Teleporter

1621247801937.png

Then you can clean up your installation and install dietpi on the Pi.

dietpi-software has a ton of software which you can install without too much of a hassle.Pi hole is also available there. After you install pihole just import your backed up pihole config and you are good to go.

1621247908065.png

I use my Pi4 for automated torrent downloads with flexget and pihole. I have attached a 250 GB SSD to the USB 3.0 port and mapped it to my Windows systems with NFS share.

Take a backup of your existing pihole config from Settings>Teleporter

View attachment 105660

Then you can clean up your installation and install dietpi on the Pi.

dietpi-software has a ton of software which you can install without too much of a hassle.Pi hole is also available there. After you install pihole just import your backed up pihole config and you are good to go.

View attachment 105661

I use my Pi4 for automated torrent downloads with flexget and pihole. I have attached a 250 GB SSD to the USB 3.0 port and mapped it to my Windows systems with NFS share.
Would you be kind enough to link up with a noob friendly guide, which can give step by step Installation Info plz
Thanks

Never heard about DietPi but just now looked at it and its based on Debian. So I think all you need to do is learn Debian commands.

Also learn to use the terminal and life will be easy managing these kinds of hardware.

Though you guys are right
But i am way too reluctant to wipe the pi os and install dietpi afresh

Is there no way I can simply download the package store in any appropriate folder on the pi sd card and use the sudo install command to Install

Though you guys are right
But i am way too reluctant to wipe the pi os and install dietpi afresh

Is there no way I can simply download the package store in any appropriate folder on the pi sd card and use the sudo install command to Install
You can use Win32 Disk Imager to backup the existing installation on your SD card.

Once you have the .img file you can proceed with dietpi installation. Please backup pihole using Teleporter for the configuration before starting dietpi installation though.

Or else you can also get a new SD card and create a dietpi installation on it. That way if you want to go back to your old pi OS you just have to swap the SD cards in the Pi.

Okay
Finally Installed dietpi and got pihole working and added some more blocklists
Installed kodi, samba and plex
Will configure them this coming weekend

Thank you all for the help, might need guides to get samba, kodi ans plex working

BTW dietpi has the software installation details here-

I am thinking of dropping 3rd party DNS altogether and going to UnBound for recursive DNS lookup.

Anyone here who's doing the same on a Pi Zero?

I am thinking of dropping 3rd party DNS altogether and going to UnBound for recursive DNS lookup.

I use Pihole with Clouddlare, for sometime I did use Unbound, but I have specific domains which it could not resolve so dumped it and just use Pihole with forwarding requests to Cloudflare
Is there a torrent client in DietPi that supports autodl-irssi and can both be installed after installing DietPi on RPi ?
There are lot many options in that list for doing things automatically
- Medusa - Automatically download TV shows
- Sonarr - Automatically download TV shows
- Radarr - Automatically download Movies
- Lidarr - Automatically download Music
- Bazarr - Automatically download Subtitles for Sonarr/Radarr
- CouchPotato - Automatically download movies.

But I link to keep things in control and just use Deluge

Is there a torrent client in DietPi that supports autodl-irssi and can both be installed after installing DietPi on RPi ?
I use flexget for p**n. :p

It parses the torrent site RSS feeds and picks up torrents based on a config.yml file. The captured torrent links are then added to qbittorrent which I use as my torrent client on my Raspberry. The only reason for using qbittorrent over deluge is that it allows me to add custom trackers.

Installation of flexget is pretty simple (sudo pip3 install flexget) but the config.yml is a pain.

Then its upto cron to run the job at say 10 min intervals.

1621857056693.png

If you want I can share my scripts with you.

Last edited:

I tried using unbound (followed guide in pihole documentation). Unbound used to crash a lot and most of the time couldn’t reach root servers(I suspect isp blocking issue).
Since then I have been using cloudflared for DNS over https. Even that is not without issues, cloudflare is having routing issues with most isps, which times out and the process is unable to handle it, causing it to crash too. I have setup a cronjob to restart the process every 5 minutes.
using pi 3b+

Back