Kindly help with VPN questions

KindlyHelp

Recruit
Hello Kind Peeple, need some kindness with a few questions and different scenarios:

1) been working from home, the corporate IT has installed McAfee End Point Security that blocks a few things. I am fine with it mostly. But want to know:
A) I noticed the Incognito mode of Google Chrome doesn't have that McAfee extension, so I am just going to use the incognito mode mostly.
B) if at home using my home wifi, I use a Chrome extension for my VPN (not for the entire laptop but just a chrome extension for the VPN for the browser only) would McAfee end point know or would my employer know? I am using my own internet and not using VPN on the entire laptop so I believe just using the Chrome Extension for VPN should be okay? Thoughts?

2) Now I am talking about my personal laptop. So nothing controlled or installed by work IT here. Totally my own machine and internet. So I want to use the same VPN Chrome extension here but also install another VPN on the laptop as in on the windows. Would that make it even safer for my browsing? As in if I am using that browser and through it the first VPN through Google Chrome extension and since that browser is installed on the laptop and then the laptop windows has second VPN installed and all internet or browser goes through it again, is that a safer and better way?

Or can you kindly suggest a better way for both the points.
I WILL BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL TO YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS.

please and thank you!

Unless your employer has installed some work tracking software Mcafee wont be reporting anything except for scanned items etc.
Btw in current situation employers dont give a damn what you surf browse or download unless they have those work tracking tools installed.

As for your personal laptop vpn doesn't makes you safer but some free vpns might collect your browsing data etc. so if the extension works for you stay with it or invest in a better paid vpn.
Btw what you access via vpn?

End Point Security includes a firewall as far as I know and your company would be maintaining the logs, so at a high level they would know the domains being accessed by you. The extension within the browser is just to scan websites for malware and ransomware, so not having the extension doesn't imply that your traffic is still not being logged.

In that sense, the browser extension will be visible as a browser process and the endpoint to the VPN service will be logged, however, they will not be able to determine what you are accessing using the VPN.

Honestly, this is a really odd setup. Normally corporates can't force installation of their software on personal devices and if they want to track work traffic, then they should probably be providing their own devices or a dedicated work VPN to be connected to over the personal device.

Usually company have all rights to track your logs if you use there laptop in which there software's are installed. VPN won't help you in that case.

For personal use you can use VPN as much as you like but don't think it is safer. Free VPN doesn't do that. They take your browsing history data for their own and they limit your bandwidth also.
If you are using paid VPN that might be another case like PIA or Express VPN. They don't keep your data from my experience.

But it is highly advised to not use company's laptop for browsing or doing anything. As for my case I have to use multiple VPN's just to connect to my company's portal and most of the sites are even blocked.
Your mileage may vary in that case.

Back