LAN Card wont ping above 2000??

hello guys,

i am having a small problem. for a few days i have been experiencing a lot of problems with my net connection. I inquired my ISP to find this out and confirmed that the problem was not from their side. To confirm this, they sent their engineer to my place to check the my internet connection and found out that my LAN Card wont ping above 2000 bytes....the engineer checked this by connecting connecting my LAN wire to his laptop and checking the ping reply for 25000 bytes....here are the screenshots the screenshots for my ping reply:

The Normal ping:

Ping for 1000 bytes:

Ping for 2000 bytes:

now the problem is my LAN card is new (1 month old)and its a D-Link brand also which is quite reliable..so i really dont seem to understand wot the problem could b. i know the next best option would b to reinstall my LAN Card drivers...but suppose i install it and the problem is not resolved...wot r the settings that i could look into in LAN Card's "Properties" or the "Configure" settings?

Other than that what else could be causing the issue. i m having Avast Free edition and Comodo Firewall.

Any light on this issue would be very much appreciated...:huh: :huh:

Thanx in advance...

and what has ping above 2000 got to do with speed problems :S I have an onboard LAN (realtek chip) and my card never pings the gateway beyond 1400 bytes, whenever I do i get "request timed out" but still my connection has always worked fine. I am on Airtel btw. One more thing.... the engineer who came to check connection was his laptop pinging beyond 2000 bytes??

What router/modem/device are you using in between?

There is a possibility that the device is dropping the ICMP packet having size greater than 2000 defined as MTU value in the intermediate device. Which usually is lesser than 1500 bytes.

In my netgear wifi router MTU = 1492B. Max allowed ping size is 1464B.

1492-1464 = 28B (which is TCP header size)

sorry for the math, i m just too bored :p

@Balkazzaar ---> maybe you're using a software firewall that disallows packet size over 2000 bytes considering then as outgoing virus attacks.

Additionally, when Field Engineer connected his Laptop to your LAN cable, you said that he was able to ping over 25K bytes. Correct ?

Can you run following command and let me know the output ?

C:\Users\nishu>ping 4.2.2.2 -l 2000

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 2000 bytes of data:

Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=2000 time=332ms TTL=55

Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=2000 time=330ms TTL=55

Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=2000 time=334ms TTL=55

Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=2000 time=333ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 330ms, Maximum = 334ms, Average = 332ms

C:\Users\nishu>

rock_ya_baby said:

There is a possibility that the device is dropping the ICMP packet having size greater than 2000 defined as MTU value in the intermediate device. Which usually is lesser than 1500 bytes.

Is that really true , my modem/router's MTU is 1492 but i am able to ping above 2k bytes , even 4k works

Decius said:
and what has ping above 2000 got to do with speed problems :S I have an onboard LAN (realtek chip) and my card never pings the gateway beyond 1400 bytes, whenever I do i get "request timed out" but still my connection has always worked fine. I am on Airtel btw. One more thing.... the engineer who came to check connection was his laptop pinging beyond 2000 bytes??

actually it has a lot to do with speed problems....its affecting my browsing speed alot. and yes the field engineer's laptop was pinging for not only 2000 bytes but 25000 bytes....

now yesterday i also found out one more problem. wen i switched my LAN wire and plugged it to my on board LAN card...that too was NOT pinging above 2000 bytes... now i have 2 conclude that this is a software issue....

rock_ya_baby said:

plz 4giv me 4 asking...but i really am unable to understand what u have explained above...:ashamed: :ashamed:

guys the problem is still not getting solved ....i disabled the firewall completely and tried and still no use....i still cant find the solution to the problem...plz help i m going nuts over this as this is eating my head... :S

nilsnaik said:
Could you uninstall the firewall and then give it a try.

ok guys..its kinda surprising and obvious...but i found out that the culprit was CFP :S :( ....when i uninstalled it....my whole ping reply came back to normal...even it pinged for 25000 bytes as well.......:S ...its kinda ridiculous but surprising...now i m using my system with just avast antivirus and no firewall...is there any setting in CFP which i will be able to perform so that it does not drop ping packets and i can use it at the same time...

plz advice...

Anythign above 1.5k TCP window is gravy what you need is that you LAN card should support atleast 1492bytes. This is the standard TCP/ window size for almost all applications. Just check whats your max window size by using the "l" (alphabet L) for ex:

ping a.b.c.d -l 1500 If you get a proper response from a pingable site, you are good.

Also please check if any 3rd party tools you have have changed this if even 1500 doesnt work for you.

spacenoxx said:
Anythign above 1.5k TCP window is gravy what you need is that you LAN card should support atleast 1492bytes. This is the standard TCP/ window size for almost all applications. Just check whats your max window size by using the "l" (alphabet L) for ex:

ping a.b.c.d -l 1500 If you get a proper response from a pingable site, you are good.

Also please check if any 3rd party tools you have have changed this if even 1500 doesnt work for you.

with all due respect to u bro..kindly answer the question....is there any setting in Comodo Firewall which will solve this issue so that i can use the firewall without sacrificing speed..and i already have said that my ping now goes till 25000 bytes without any issues but without the firewall........

Balkazzaar said:
with all due respect to u bro..kindly answer the question....is there any setting in Comodo Firewall which will solve this issue so that i can use the firewall without sacrificing speed..and i already have said that my ping now goes till 25000 bytes without any issues but without the firewall........

In that case your firewall prolly disabled outbound PING requests. In which case you may not be able to ping at all. Do check your firewall settings to see if PING is disabled (by default) or something.

Back