Laptops Laptop always plugged in

I use my laptop throughout the day. That means I have to go through 3-4 battery cycles. Is it good for the battery ? I have an HP Pavilion laptop which is less than a month old. What if I keep it plugged in all the time ? Will there be a cut-off and take power directly from the line when the battery is fully charged ? Or will it cause battery wear ?

How do you manage long work hours and battery life ? Thanks.

I have kept my laptop plugged in continuosly for about 4 years now. It's a gaming laptop and battery life is practically non-existent anyways. While YMMV, I have personally faced no issues keeping it plugged in 24x7. Of course I would assume you're using the stock charger that came out of the box.

I use my laptop throughout the day. That means I have to go through 3-4 battery cycles. Is it good for the battery ? I have an HP Pavilion laptop which is less than a month old. What if I keep it plugged in all the time ? Will there be a cut-off and take power directly from the line when the battery is fully charged ? Or will it cause battery wear ?

How do you manage long work hours and battery life ? Thanks.
Depends how old is the laptop as off late fast charging batteries for both phones and laptops slow charging rate after 90% and seldom charge beyond 98 or so and even if they do 100% they cut off completely until the charge fallback under 95 or 90 depending on brand etc. to resume charging.

But I prefer to cut off in 80s for all devices just to be safe!

Try running stock battery health check to ascertain battery health/life etc.

Depends how old is the laptop as off late fast charging batteries for both phones and laptops slow charging rate after 90% and seldom charge beyond 98 or so and even if they do 100% they cut off completely until the charge falls under 95 or 90 depending on brand etc.
Thanks for this. I have manually configured my laptop to cut-off at 95% so this is an excellent tip. Windows usually has this configured by default

I owned a brand new company Lenovo Thinkpad L480 for 2+ years. The battery was brilliant for 3-4 months initially when I used to do light workloads on it while on battery. Later, I needed the full power so whenever I worked on it I kept it on charger. It barely saw charge cycles above 50 during last 2 years. In the last couple of months when I removed the charger the battery worked fine until it drained to 80-85% range and then it would just randomly shut off (not proper shut down). Restart it and the battery would show a random percentage like 10% remaining. It's practically not reliable anymore.

Long story short, DO NOT keep your devices always on charging the heat and always keeping the battery near 100% is harmful for the life of the battery. This is not an isolated case, it has happened with another HP laptop I owned, used for gaming a lot always on charge.

My suggestion, charge the battery near 30% to max 85%. If you want to use for gaming remove the battery and then use on charger for longer durations. Your battery will last a lifetime (4+ years easy). I've been following this for 2 of my other laptops and results are great.

If battery is non-removable then I guess you can have software alternatives.

Last edited:
Depends how old is the lapto

It is a less than a month old HP Pavilion gaming laptop. with AMD Ryzen 5 5600H. I get around 4 hours when on battery save mode

The battery is not removable. At least not visibly. I am now doing around 3-4 cycles per day. I am ok with this but want to know whether I can extend the battery life by using cut off.

I do not know any methods to stop battery charging when they reach 90 or 95 percent. If there is any tool or inbuilt Windows method, please share. Thanks.

I have used a Dell laptop before and always plugged in was a disaster for the battery. Hence this question.

Back