Laptops Laptop doesn't power on..?

MegaMind

Adept
Hey guys, a friend of mine bought a sony vaio SVE15116EN laptop a month ago. It was working flawlessly till yesterday, but today when power on the laptop the power LED comes up & the HDD activity LED blinks for a couple of times and doesnt show up. There is no display on the screen and the power goes off after a minute.

Any idea what might be the issue??

Your friend bought the laptop a month ago right? So why are you worrying it is covered under warranty. Just take it to the service center and get it checked.

If it does not have warranty then it is a different thing.

Does your friend get the sony/vaio logo at startup? or it just remains black and all other buttons glow as normal?
If the answer to the above question is YES, then your mother board has gone kaput and need to be replaced. People (Laptop repair guys) will claim they can fix it at a fraction of the cost but that is not reliable for the long run. So just get the motherboard replaced from the sony vaio service center.

Best of luck
Adil

Your friend bought the laptop a month ago right? So why are you worrying it is covered under warranty. Just take it to the service center and get it checked.

If it does not have warranty then it is a different thing.

Does your friend get the sony/vaio logo at startup? or it just remains black and all other buttons glow as normal?
If the answer to the above question is YES, then your mother board has gone kaput and need to be replaced. People (Laptop repair guys) will claim they can fix it at a fraction of the cost but that is not reliable for the long run. So just get the motherboard replaced from the sony vaio service center.

Best of luck
Adil

Sorry for hijacking the thread. But adilj what you have mentioned is true in my laptop's case, it many a times does not boot. No logo or anything but the lights on laptop are normal and i get that CD drive sound too (not the electronic sound, but something like a head moving or something, hard to explain). It does start few times. I know it is not heating issue because it happens even when i start the laptop after 1-2 days of no use. Also this laptop sometimes shuts down on its own, probably because of heat.
How do i know what is wrong ?
I am in US currently and this laptop is 4 year old toshiba satellite l300d. If my laptop is indeed gone bad then i would just throw it away (may be remove HDD and RAM) and buy a new cheap one.

raksrules: What i have mentioned above is from personal experience of 2 different laptops one the fatal Compaq V3155AU and other was a Toshiba Satellite(Brother's Laptop). Your issue seems different. Could be because of the display connector in your system (The one which connects the screen with the motherboard) that probably could have been damaged. which is causing the intermittent display on the screen. But before this can you connect to another display using one of the display ports on your system. But if our ODD is spinning as you say then your motherboard should be fine.

First connect your laptop to external display the next time this issue occurs, If the external display works then there is problem with the connector on the hinge of the laptop.

try removing the battery, and then power on using the mains power. see if that works, can be a battery issue. Also, if the RAM is accessible easily, maybe just try reseating the schticks.

raksrules: What i have mentioned above is from personal experience of 2 different laptops one the fatal Compaq V3155AU and other was a Toshiba Satellite(Brother's Laptop). Your issue seems different. Could be because of the display connector in your system (The one which connects the screen with the motherboard) that probably could have been damaged. which is causing the intermittent display on the screen. But before this can you connect to another display using one of the display ports on your system. But if our ODD is spinning as you say then your motherboard should be fine.

First connect your laptop to external display the next time this issue occurs, If the external display works then there is problem with the connector on the hinge of the laptop.

But say the display connector is the problem then in that case, when i don't get any display and if i keep the laptop ON, i should hear the windows booting sound and all right ? From what i know, i never get that sound. May be i did not keep it ON for that long if the display did not come. May be next time the display does not come on, i can keep the laptop ON for like 5-10 minutes and see if i get the windows boot sound.

The display is not the issue.. I tried connecting to my AW2210 with HDMI, no response & also it goes off after a minute...

Submitted at Sony care..

In my case, no dedicated GPU, some ATI Radeon IGP.
Btw yesterday too the same thing happened, laptop was not used since morning so after i came home, i powered on and it turned on fine so i shut it off. 2 Hours later i again powered on and nothing this time. I kept it on for like 10 min trying to see if it is only display related and i never got the bootup sound (windows music) and the HDD LED was not coming on too. So i turned it off and kept it aside. 10 minutes later, again tried and this time it turned on fine and booted and everything ran fine.

Wow @raksrules that seems very weird. Only advice is to keep using till it works and is within tolerable limits.

Or you could buy a laptop there and i think you are coming back by December(read it is some thread), come here get it repaired and sell it off over here.

@MegaMind: Mostly your your GPU card or mobo has gone. Ask your friend to ask for a laptop replacement and not a part replacement. This issue has occurred within 1 month of purchase. They should replace the laptop it would be better. What happens if it blows out again and then again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow raksrules that seems very weird. Only advice is to keep using till it works and is within tolerable limits.

Or you could buy a laptop there and i think you are coming back by December(read it is some thread), come here get it repaired and sell it off over here.

MegaMind: Mostly your your GPU card or mobo has gone. Ask your friend to ask for a laptop replacement and not a part replacement. This issue has occurred within 1 month of purchase. They should replace the laptop it would be better. What happens if it blows out again and then again.

Already have 2 laptops here so if i decide to dump this i will be buying a new one but cannot buy a new one without dumping this. But since it still works, i plan to use it. Also if it stops working, i do not have any hard and fast need of new laptop.

Highly likely that the gpu is the problem here. Lack of proper heat dissipation might have cause the gpu to desolder itself from the motherboard.

Back