Laptops Laptop for Autocad

HydroXidE

Disciple
An architect friend of mine is looking to buy a laptop to supplement desktop usage. Primary usage would be AutoCAD and other related open source alternatives. Requirements are as follows:

- Good number cruncher. Dual core 64-bit. Preferably Intel.
- Good on board video card (preferably GeForce - with the interest of soft-modding it to take the Quaddro drivers used for such apps)
- Preferable: Between 12 and 14 inch screen for mobility (not looking for 15+ unless its too killer)
- Preferable: Supports resolutions higher than what the on-board LCD can display. 1920+ (that way it can be connected to an external HD monitor in full-res when possible)
- Preferable: HDMI out

No brand preference as long as it tries to meet the above reqs.

Budget 30K (very approx) but stretchable + or - even upto 5K-10k if a certain model is killer..

Any suggestions?
TIA

The Acer Aspire 5738z should be the ideal contender for a slightly higher price - 32k all inclusive. Meets all your requirements and the onboard GMA4500 IGP will easily run Autocad without hiccups. The catch is a 15" LCD which has a resolution of 1366 x 768 resolution but you could connect an external display which can support higher resolutions till 2560 x 1600 if the display supports it.

There's an Aspire 5739G which has a Radeon HD4570 onboard - slightly pricier. Not sure of the exact pricing.

The Quadro/FireGL GPU will help a lot with accelerating AutoCAD. Do spend some money on it. Get the mod-able version or invest in a proper Quadro/FireGL.

I have not seen a laptop with nVidia graphics for quite some time. Most laptop manufacturers like DELL, HP and Acer are using ATI graphics options for their sub 50k priced laptops.

Only Sony VAIO CW series laptops are using nVidia graphics. But those are priced at around Rs.40k.

If your friend can does not mind an Intel 4500M HD then the options are Acer Aspire 5738(Intel C2D T6600. Do not buy the 5738z. It has a lower spec processor) and another Lenovo laptop(I dont remember its exact model number. Check out their website).

If your friend wants slightly better graphics, he can consider the MSI CR400X. It costs around 28k.
It has Intel T650 processor and nVidia 8200M graphics.
Check out its review in the Review section of TechEnclave. It has been reviewed by Sunny27.

If you want good nVidia graphics then your friend can consider the Zenith Director Plus Ultra.
It contains Intel T6600 processor and nVidia 9600M GS graphics.
I dont exactly know its latest price but it should be around Rs.35k.
One version of this Zenith laptop also contains Intel P8400 processor.

Got a quote from the nearest Zenith dealer near my home.
Zenith Director Ultra with P8400, and 2 Gig RAM is 39,650 all inclusive..

Any idea where else to look for this in case the price can get cheaper?
My friend is willing to pick it up from either Pune or Mumbai ..

Thanks again..

Back