Budget 31-40k Laptop for the next 7 years

greenhorn

Patron
My Inspiron N5010 died yesterday, the troubleshooting steps seem to indicate that the VGA has gone.
Time to buy a new laptop
Requirements
Budget - would like to keep it within 40k, but can stretch up to 50k
Usage - Heavy browsing, loads of ppt making, eclipse for web development, occasional games
Brand - would prefer dell, but open to other brands which can meet the other criteria
Need something with a windows OS & preferably Office preloaded
Graphics - Would prefer something with graphics, since I am a casual gamer, BUT
my experiences with laptops with discrete graphics have not been good. all of them have overheated, needed multiple HSF replacements/ the soldering to be reflowed, and generally contributed to the premature deaths of otherwise fine laptops. I am currently looking at dell 5567/3567 with gfx, but have lost faith in dell's ability to make reliable laptops with discrete gfx - are there any who do? or should i be looking at dell's business line?
Parts - Another good thing about the 5010 is that parts have been available in plenty online - I have replaced the keyboard, speakers, HSF, Wifi card etc via DIY, and have been very happy with the parts availability & compatibility - I have been able to keep the laptop running like new otherwise for a very long time, so would prefer something with good aftermarket parts availability

Last edited:
Rather than going for a specific brand or model, I will suggest specs for laptop:
Processor: Intel i5 6th/7th
Ram: 4+8gb/8gb (preferably ddr4)
GPU : Nvidia gt 930/940
HDD: 1 TB
My above suggested specs are generally found in range of series in Asus with minor modifications.
But I don't know about their after sales services.
Other manufacturers generally bundle amd gpu which I think have heating issues and are comparatively slower than nvidia.
Also, in ram I mentioned 4+8gb which means that laptop actually comes with 4gb ram soldiered but has an additional ram slot for extra ram.
Also, what type of games are you planning to play?

I have a used but mint condition ultrabook for sale.
DELL LATITUDE E7440
Touchscreen
MINT CONDITION
Intel core i7 4th gen 4600
8gb ddr3
256gb ssd m.sata
14"FHD 1920x1080
Win 8.1 pro
Price*36000*
New price 70000

Comes with 6 months seller warranty also.
Drop me a pm if its something you'd be interested in.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-04-10 at 4.06.15 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-04-10 at 4.06.15 PM.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 281
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-04-10 at 4.06.18 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-04-10 at 4.06.18 PM.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 266
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-04-10 at 4.06.19 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-04-10 at 4.06.19 PM.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 268
I would suggest picking up a Dell Latitude, HP Probook or Lenovo Thinkpad. Those will last ages if handled well

Best - import the thing from US, especially the Thinkpad.

thinkpad, already have one sponsored by the office, plus 14" is too small
HP, no thanks
Latitude - I wish i could afford one.

Anyway my intention for saying I need a laptop that will last a while is not that i need a bulletproof laptop. Those are $$$ again. What i am looking for is something cheap and mainstream for which parts will be available for a long time after it is EOL so i can keep it running

after a bit of research, it seems the Intel HD 620 is quite decent, and better than the HD5470 i used to have. I don't play modern games much. Crysis is the most demanding game i can think of :p
So i think i can have my cake and eat it too. Now off to find the best deal for a 15" dell with a i3-7100u.

Last edited:
How good is the intel HD 520 vs the 620? 5th gen i3 6006 + HD 520 are available for 5K less than a 7th gen i3 7200+ HD 620
is the 5K premium worth it, or shall i Invest the money in some more RAM or an SSD?

Go for MSI laptops if you want dedicated graphics. CX62 7QL seems to be closest to your budget.

Core i7 processor, 2 GB dedicated Graphics (Nvidia 940MX), 1 TB Hard Disk, 4 GB DDR IV RAM

Just upgrade the RAM if you feel like it.

got a dell 5567 for 42K. this thing is thin! looks like a plastic macbook clone!
and it has a backlit keyboard too (that was an unexpected bonus - wasnt mentioned in the product details)

If you plan to use it for 7 years, make sure it comes with an M.2 SSD slot.
Also, if you plan to go with dedicated graphics, get at least Nvidia 940M (or something equivalent). Lower than that and it's no fun at all

No full hd screen stand out. at this price this shud have been there. else the high price is only for the 7th gen core i3
Felt the same here. Honestly IMO, not a good deal. I bought Acer Aspire V3-574G-504Y for 44k and it has Nvidia 940m and FHD screen. Just 2k more

I have survived my college years on an onboard geforce 4MX. I am not looking for a power rig. from the benchmarks, it looks like the hd620 is decent enough, given the tradeoffs in terms of better reliability and battery life. Do note this one comes with a 3 year extended warranty

I am ok with the PPI count on this, but the colours and contrast are shitty compared to my old inspiron. even the acer aspire v3 reviews mentioned something similar. I would have bought the aspire if this particular laptop was not available with the discounted extended warranty, but generally i have been a fan of dell and their service, so i was looking mostly at dell machines

What do you mean by the colors and contrast are wierd !!
I was asking if the ppi increases if the resolution increases ??

Back