Laptop loses Wi-Fi and LAN connection repeatedly.

EHH

Disciple
Laptop looses Wi-Fi and LAN connection repeatedly.
Tried all usual trouble shooting like reset router, reset network, dns flush, netsh, power settings, network trouble shooting etc what ever is available on internet. No joy.
LAN port at router blinks like working, LAN port at laptop also lights up, but laptop shows not connected and can't surf web.
Solutions ?

Is it only the laptop with this issue? Other devices working fine on network?

What is your network setup like? I mean what routers/wifi APs etc? Are you sure you have only one DHCP server running in your network?

Try setting a static IP (unused IP in your network) on your laptop OS and see if makes a difference?

Is it only the laptop with this issue? Other devices working fine on network?

What is your network setup like? I mean what routers/wifi APs etc? Are you sure you have only one DHCP server running in your network?

Try setting a static IP (unused IP in your network) on your laptop OS and see if makes a difference?
I know nothing, technically.
Other devices seems are running fine. Occasional hiccups are there.
One Jio fiber router 3 mobiles, 1 TV, 1 PC on lan, 1 Laptop on wifi/lan.

Which company's internet are you using? Your laptop is connected via LAN to what device, if you are not sure, you can upload photos here and we can assist you accordingly.

Do you use the same internet on other device (phones, tablets, different laptops/desktops)? If yes, how do you connect - Wired (LAN) / Wireless (Wi-Fi)?
Do you face any similar issues in the other devices?

Which company's internet are you using? Your laptop is connected via LAN to what device, if you are not sure, you can upload photos here and we can assist you accordingly.
Laptop connected to Jio fiber router via LAN at the moment.
Previously via WiFi but as connection used to break within 30 minutes switched to LAN which is now also acting up.

I assume the laptop is a work laptop? If so, you might notice it on that because you would be using it continuously and might not notice drops on mobiles/TV/etc.
If the connection is dropping on both wifi and LAN, it's unlikely to be a wifi chip issue with your laptop. It points to either a software cause (if other devices are actually not facing interruptions) or a router cause (if other devices do get interruptions). The router cause could be a bad router or could be internet connection drop from Jio.

You'll need to eliminate possible causes and points of failure. The easiest might be checking whether there is a service disruption at the time you notice the internet disconnecting on the laptop.

Do this:
1. Open command prompt
2. type "ping 192.168.1.1 -t"
3. This will ping the router continuously and if the connection drops, switch back to the command prompt window and check if the replies are still coming back from the router.
- If command prompt says "Request timed out" then that means the connection between the router and laptop broke, and it's either the router or the laptop at fault.
- If it continues with "Reply from 192.168.1.1 ..." then it's your internet connection from Jio that has dropped.

Here the IP is your router's IP. If you're not sure of that, before running the ping command run "ipconfig" and look for the default gateway, like here
1721044895993.png

Once you eliminate Jio's connectivity as a possible cause you can troubleshoot the other links in the chain piece by piece.

Laptop looses Wi-Fi and LAN connection repeatedly.
Tried all usual trouble shooting like reset router, reset network, dns flush, netsh, power settings, network trouble shooting etc what ever is available on internet. No joy.
LAN port at router blinks like working, LAN port at laptop also lights up, but laptop shows not connected and can't surf web.
Solutions ?
I had a similar issue with my laptop 4 months after purchase. Since it was under warranty, I got the WiFi+Bluetooth card replaced and it has worked well since.

In your case, the LAN port issue of course makes it more difficult to diagnose. However, in my case, the issue had started occurring after a system reset and I thought it was a driver issue, wasting a lot of time on it. Sometimes, you have to accept that there is a hardware issue.

The only other time I had such an issue was because of an IP address conflict on the router side, but that shouldn't be a factor after a router reset.

I assume the laptop is a work laptop? If so, you might notice it on that because you would be using it continuously and might not notice drops on mobiles/TV/etc.
If the connection is dropping on both wifi and LAN, it's unlikely to be a wifi chip issue with your laptop. It points to either a software cause (if other devices are actually not facing interruptions) or a router cause (if other devices do get interruptions). The router cause could be a bad router or could be internet connection drop from Jio.

You'll need to eliminate possible causes and points of failure. The easiest might be checking whether there is a service disruption at the time you notice the internet disconnecting on the laptop.

Do this:
1. Open command prompt
2. type "ping 192.168.1.1 -t"
3. This will ping the router continuously and if the connection drops, switch back to the command prompt window and check if the replies are still coming back from the router.
- If command prompt says "Request timed out" then that means the connection between the router and laptop broke, and it's either the router or the laptop at fault.
- If it continues with "Reply from 192.168.1.1 ..." then it's your internet connection from Jio that has dropped.

Here the IP is your router's IP. If you're not sure of that, before running the ping command run "ipconfig" and look for the default gateway, like here
View attachment 201504

Once you eliminate Jio's connectivity as a possible cause you can troubleshoot the other links in the chain piece by piece.
yeah, I recall doing this back in mtnl days. will try.
Which laptop model? Google with it, maybe many people are facing the same problem?
HP pathetic i3, 8 years old, using as secondary machine for email etc, remains on for 12+ hrs.
Maybe a windows reinstall will help
last resort
I had a similar issue with my laptop 4 months after purchase. Since it was under warranty, I got the WiFi+Bluetooth card replaced and it has worked well since.

In your case, the LAN port issue of course makes it more difficult to diagnose. However, in my case, the issue had started occurring after a system reset and I thought it was a driver issue, wasting a lot of time on it. Sometimes, you have to accept that there is a hardware issue.

The only other time I had such an issue was because of an IP address conflict on the router side, but that shouldn't be a factor after a router reset.
it doesn't qualify for w11 upgrade and its old so wont be doing any hardware repair etc.
Can you please try and check whether you are facing similar issues while your laptop is connected to your phone using mobile hotspot.
will do.

Last edited:
Back