Budget 31-40k Laptop needs for basic use for my dad

raksrules

Elite
I am need of a laptop for my dad. Due to his age, I don't want a heavy laptop. The current laptop he uses is Lenovo Ideapad S400 which I got like 4-5 years back. It does not work well now anymore.

• What's your Budget? (e.g. >30K, not more than 50K etc.
  • -> $800 Max preferred but can go higher if thing is worth, but for usage I don't expect to spend so much
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (e.g. web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming)
  • -> For my dad. He will use some accounting software and absolutely no video or high graphics usage.
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? (e.g. Do you want a 17" desktop replacement or you want an ultraportable 12" or something in between)
  • -> Current device is 14" screen, anything below this is NOT acceptable. If I can get 15" screen with lightweight laptop, it would be even better. The laptop's weight currently is 1.8 Kgs so yes it is relatively lighter so would prefer weight in this ballpark or less.
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? (e.g some would prefer to stay away from Acer or Dell)
  • -> No specific brand but good quality.
  • Any other considerations? (e.g Battery life; Widescreen/non-widescreen; Glossy/Matte screen etc.)
  • -> Good battery life preferable. Fast start (so SSD preferred but not very necessary), good amount of RAM. Currently laptop has 2GB. Need more.

Laptop will be bought in US preferable. We would like to see and feel the laptop before buying so would be good if I can buy from a store or at least check laptop in store and then buy online. No choice of any online retailer. Whoever is reliable, I can go with. Although I given price of $800, I don't think I need to spend so much for what I want (lightweight) and usage. But from whatever I saw till now, it seems the lightweight and price are inversely proportional. As I go less in weight, the price is increasing.

Why not surface ?[DOUBLEPOST=1500260426][/DOUBLEPOST]Just check Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57D4 or Asus zenbook model too.

Last edited:
These are the options, compare them and see which one suits your dad's need the best after checking reviews -

1) Acer Aspire E 15 (15.6", worst of the lot, cheapest too)
2) Asus Zenbook UX330 (Its 13.3" but a really good option)
3) Acer Swift 3 (14", balanced with respect to price and features)
4) Acer Swift 5 (14", better looking version of Swift 3 with better battery life, build and certain components)

To add to my original post....

• The current laptop is 3.4 Lbs and he has got used to less weight laptop so going over is highly unlikely for us.
  • He has extensive use of UP and DOWN arrow keys and many laptops we saw have those keys half size (feels as in a single key has been cut to make the up and down). This would be unacceptable.
  • 14" is the absolute minimum screen size. 13.3 is totally unacceptable.
There are some laptops we have considered, not in any particular order (even going above my limit)

1. Lenovo Yoga 710 14" -> Weight is 3.42 Lbs and is good in that sense. Also has fancy features like touchscreen and use as tablet (both of these will probably never be used). But nevertheless a very strong option for us.
  2. Lenovo Idepad 510S -> Cheapest of my considerations but little heavier than his current laptop. But don't have best feeling about it.
  3. Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 4th Gen (Refurbs) -> Cannot buy new as very expensive, can probably get a refurb in 1000 dollars range. 2.3 Lbs or so only and keyboard layout I like (yet to see in flesh), dedicated up and down key is great (I know since I use those keys daily on my Dell Latitude ultrabook).
  4. Other Thinkpads - Going to check those but then they are 4.2 Lbs and up and that's why not really interested.

Ones that made to list initially but were later removed
  1. Acer Swift 5 - Great weight but the UP/DOWN key was half sized.
  2. LG Gram 15.6" - Mind Blowing laptop weight wise, just 1 Kg and 15.6" screen and I even saw it in person and held it. Has full size keyboard with numeric keypad (little cramped though) but this too has half up and down keys.

Back