Laptops Laptop on DP not responding to source change on monitor

gourav

Skilled
Hi folks. I have an LG monitor which has 2 HDMI ports and 1 DP. I have an Intel NUC and my work laptop connected to it.

Here's the issue. If both of these are connected via HDMI, if I switch the display to NUC, the laptop is able to detect that the external monitor is no longer active and switch to a single display setup. However, if the laptop is on DP and NUC is on HDMI, this does not happen. Even when I switch to NUC, the laptop continues to behave as if the external monitor is active.

Just wanted to understand if this is an issue with my specific monitor or a general feature of display port, since I've not seen anyone talk about this while discussing HDMI vs DP.

P.S.: The laptop doesn't have a display port. I have connected it to a dock via USB-C and the dock has a display port.

yea, Monitors usually don't leave the the other port that is not being used. So, your laptop always thinks that you are connected to Monitor eventhough you are on NUC on different port. Common issue. You need to go to laptop and disable the monitor in the display settings. U can select only display 1 instead of extend or duplicate.

if I switch the display to NUC, the laptop is able to detect that the external monitor is no longer active and switch to a single display setup.
This is not a typical behavior, you happen to be lucky that your monitor does this with the HDMI ports and you needed it.

The normal behavior is what you are witnessing with HDMI and DISPLAYPORT together. When you select either one on the monitor, the source device of the another port will >> not << receive the "external display is not active" signal.

Back