Laptop or iPad + Logitech Keyboard

raksrules

Elite
I currently have 2 personal laptops. Both have issues.
  1. Sony Viao - Bought in 2012 but still works fine, upgraded with SSD few years back. But keyboard is bad, many keys don't work anymore. Currently my kid uses this for his school sessions which are happening at home.
  2. Lenovo 2 in 1 - This laptop was bought in 2019 but its screen went bad as is not fixable. I removed the screen completely so only have main keyboard part which I can use by connecting the Laptop (whatever is remaining) via HDMI cable to TV.
Our laptop use for personal purpose is pretty minimal. I usually prefer to use my office laptop if ever I need to do a task which I think may be more comfortable to do on laptop. The Sony laptop is now being used only because my kid has his 1 Hour sessions daily.
Now I was planning to buy a new laptop for his sessions and also to keep a fully working laptop at home but then something struck me, what If I instead get the iPad and pair it with Logitech Keyboard Case (Link here).
Does it make sense to buy the ipad+keyboard instead of full fledged laptop and will it work well for zoom sessions? I know I can use the iPad for many other things as well since we already own multiple Apple products.
Anyone using similar setup for zoom sessions and other things and think it is productive enough?

My son uses the iPad Pro without any physical keyboard for his Zoom sessions. It works absolutely fine. No issues. We rarely use it for typing word documents and such, so no idea about the same. But I guess your son wouldn't need all that.

My son uses the iPad Pro without any physical keyboard for his Zoom sessions. It works absolutely fine. No issues. We rarely use it for typing word documents and such, so no idea about the same. But I guess your son wouldn't need all that.

Any reason you went with iPad Pro instead of cheaper version like regular ipad or ipad air? What other things you use the iPad pro for?

Any reason you went with iPad Pro instead of cheaper version like regular ipad or ipad air? What other things you use the iPad pro for?
I already had the iPad Pro with me. My wife and I use it extensively for reading pdf files with annotations using the pencil. Otherwise, we rarely use it for anything else.

I already had the iPad Pro with me. My wife and I use it extensively for reading pdf files with annotations using the pencil. Otherwise, we rarely use it for anything else.

I would have loved to get the Pro but damn it starts at 72K and if then I want to get keyboard, it will be extra. I think i will reach a lakh with everything.

At this point I am considering the iPad Air over the regular ipad and with logitech keyboard case, total will be around 52K.
I am not in any hurry to buy.
Are new ipads expected this year? I can wait then.

Last edited:
Most likely, There wont be a air/mini refresh this year. Basic/pro versions have already been refreshed. So, I'd go with No.
Post automatically merged:

I have had pretty good experience with buying ipads on olx so I will suggest checking there as well. There are some too good to be true offers like someone selling ipad pro 11' for 28k but also pretty good deals otherwise.

Most likely, There wont be a air/mini refresh this year. Basic/pro versions have already been refreshed. So, I'd go with No.

I have had pretty good experience with buying ipads on olx so I will suggest checking there as well. There are some too good to be true offers like someone selling ipad pro 11' for 28k but also pretty good deals otherwise.

Checked olx around me and no such deals. People selling at near MRP rates only.

oh well.. :(

I had all my tablets shipped from other places but that is way more risky ofc. I dont regret doing that but also cant recommend that to anyone else.

Are new ipads expected this year? I can wait then.
The 2020 iPad Airs are rumored to be scheduled for a Q4 launch, so probably by October. They are probably gonna be cheaper than the 2019 Air launch prices even though they are upgrades, again as per rumors. So if you can wait, please do so for a couple more months. You should have a clearer picture with regard to launch date and price by August end I guess.
I would have loved to get the Pro but damn it starts at 72K and if then I want to get keyboard, it will be extra. I think i will reach a lakh with everything.
:( True. They cost a bomb. Mine is the 10.5" variant, which I got through my brother in US, so ended up paying around 42k totally, with pencil included. This was in 2017 though.

Sony Viao - Bought in 2012 but still works fine, upgraded with SSD few years back. But keyboard is bad, many keys don't work anymore.

If this machine is working good (suffices your needs) and keyboard is the only issue, why not just get wireless keyboard ? I had similar issue with my previous HP Envy laptop. It's keyboard went bad and it was riveted with lower base of laptop. I checked cost of replacing this part; it was about HK$1200 ~ ₹ 11K at that time. I simply bought a slim Rapoo BT keyboard for HK$150 ~ ₹ 1400.

OT: I think older machines were built much better - I am running now 10 years old HP laptop with Core i3-370 just fine.

If this machine is working good (suffices your needs) and keyboard is the only issue, why not just get wireless keyboard ? I had similar issue with my previous HP Envy laptop. It's keyboard went bad and it was riveted with lower base of laptop. I checked cost of replacing this part; it was about HK$1200 ~ ₹ 11K at that time. I simply bought a slim Rapoo BT keyboard for HK$150 ~ ₹ 1400.

OT: I think older machines were built much better - I am running now 10 years old HP laptop with Core i3-370 just fine.

Yes buying wireless keyboard (bluetooth or RF) is an option. But this machine is pretty large as it is having 15.6 inch screen and had all the keys including the separate numeric keys on right side.
Do you keep your wireless keyboard on top of original keybord of the laptop?
Another issue with the laptop is its battery is shot. Not much of a problem as such since it is always connected to power.

I really wish to be able to use my other laptop which doesn't have screen and I was wanting to buy the USB powered Zebronics Monitor AU16FHD but it is not available anywhere.

Can you link which keyboard you have? Does it have track pad too? Also when laptop opens, does it automatically connect to keyboard. I would like to avoid a situation where I have to first use primary keyboard or track pad on laptop and then use BT keyboard.

Do you keep your wireless keyboard on top of original keybord of the laptop?

Yes; like this

hp_envy_15_laptop___i76700hq_8gb_ram_128gb_ssd__1tb_hdd.jpg

USB powered Monitor

I am not sure what is availability back there in India but I have seen many listings with portable screen ranging from 10" to 15". These screens are most times USB powered and with HDMI connection. These cost anywhere between HK$700 to 2000 ~ ₹6700 - 19K

Yes; like this

View attachment 87524

I am not sure what is availability back there in India but I have seen many listings with portable screen ranging from 10" to 15". These screens are most times USB powered and with HDMI connection. These cost anywhere between HK$700 to 2000 ~ ₹6700 - 19K

In India, Zebronics sells cheap one at under 4K for Full HD screen but no availability. ASUS also sells one but it costs 15K+ so that is out of question. About they keyboard, how do you make sure that pressing keyboard does not press the keys below on main laptop? In my case, only few keys are bad, not everything so I worry that when pressing the BT Keyboard keys, the main laptop keys will be pressed.

About they keyboard, how do you make sure that pressing keyboard does not press the keys below on main laptop? In my case, only few keys are bad, not everything so I worry that when pressing the BT Keyboard keys, the main laptop keys will be pressed.
Mine was - all keys dead; but still I disconnected keyboard cable from laptop mobo.

Been looking on Olx for quite some time now. Tough to find a genuine seller that gives a positive response selling an iPad Pro

For what itz worth you can easily get a good quality generic keyboard that fits your vaio anywhere between 500 to 800 at local computer market

Installation is super easy

For what itz worth you can easily get a good quality generic keyboard that fits your vaio anywhere between 500 to 800 at local computer market

Installation is super easy

Generic means? Mine is Vaio svs15 which even has the numeric keys on right side. The laptop was bought in 2012 from US so it is quite old too.

I have a vaio myself and as usual around 5 keys on it aren't working but i am getting by as they are the numeric ones over qwerty ones..

Generic means they are not Sony branded but third party ones probably Chinese but they work well...

I had gone to buy one and they looked great but as i didnt take my lappy along so thought of buying in next visit but then the lockdown started and now i m not will g to go to markets... Will buy for my vaio may be after September, the computer market is just at 5 minutes drive away from my home though.

it doesn't make sense why you would want to spend a bombshell on a new ipad just for zoom classes from my perspective when you seem to have a functioning-ish laptop and it does feel like a waste unless you want to treat your child to an Ipad (and for kids below 5th STD, they almost need nothing other than a good display, a proper webcam,headphones with a mic, they just write down their notes). I have no idea what your financial situation is but imo, just buy a BT Keyboard and connect it to the laptop :p

Back