Laptops Laptop overheating and shutting down... remedy?

HP laptop ..the laptop is heating as soon as it is started and shutdowns after some minutes... Called authorized service center of HP.. they are saying, Rs .860.. for servicing..
Is it advisable.. to go to HP.. or should i try any local/ self repair?

Go to the service center if u go outside they will charge you atleast 500/- for opening the laptop and blowing the dust out and maybe apply coolant under the heat sink. I have had bad experiences with private guys if they are not good.

Google the model number with the service manual - it will show you how to open up the laptop and all. Apply a fresh coat of thermal paste.

You will find dismantling videos on youtube for your model most likely. Open it up and clean dust. That will sort out the issue. Have helped couple of friends restore their overheating laptops same way. No need to go to any shop for the job.

You might want to buy a cooler pad as well after you have finished cleaning out the stuff from inside. I found these things to be very helpful when you use your laptop on top of them and help improve efficiency as well
IMO they there is absolutely no benefit of using a cooler pad.. If you buy a very high end pad with 4-6 fans, may be you get a 2-3C difference in temp.. Tats all.. So instead of spending 2-3k on a cooling pad, I would suggest to open up the laptop, clear out the dust in the fan and reapply some thermal paste.. That would atleast make a difference of 10-15C if there was a large quantity of dust in the fans..

can you hear the fan spinning on start up?
if it is out of warranty then open it up.

it is far more easier to clean a laptop than any other electronic item. just make sure you remove all the screws that releases the key board and other panels. chief culprit would be clogged heat sink. you would be surprised to see the amount of dirt piled up as a thick layer of cushion! you can give this a try before going to service center.

check if your fan is spinning and get your laptop general serviced with an expert use Kapton on CPU, GPU and North Bridge IC. Also thermal pads on GPU and North Bridge IC. YOu good quality of thermal paste.

Back