Laptops Laptop Purchase advice needed

gmano

Adept
Guys, I am planning to get a laptop. I think I would buy it from USA.

I will use it only for word processing, browsing in the net.

No gaming, No coding.

My budget is around $500 to $600. Recommend me a good laptop in that price range. (I would prefer in store purchase from USA)

There are a couple of Compaq and Acer 15.4" Turion / T20xx (termed as dula core but in reality a 1 MB L2 cache Core duo) based notebooks available betwen 450-600

The compaq prefereably for better build quality and better screen

^^ can you give some specific modles and links to them?
when comared to core duo, which is better, core duo or AMD Turion ?

Acer 5570

Compaq V6500

to name a few...

but it wouldn't really work out this way if he intends to buy from a store...

he'll have to keep hunting for deals in the weekend flyers that stores like circuiy city/best buy/Staples send out...

Deals typically come start Saturdays and run thru the week.

however the moment there is a good deal available in stores, stocks get over by the same day afternoon or so.....

If you think your friend can manage to accomplish that, great...

else you could look at some of the Presario Turion models in India (I believe V3424 comes for ~30K)

@ Abinav, I will ask my friend to look for the deals this weekend. Thanks. If you come across any good deals, let me know.

@ Pathik, are you the Pathiks from thinkdigit?

The dual core T20xx is a regular core duo but 1 MB of cache

SInce it is difficult to find benchmarks for low end proccys, I can't point precise diferences but the X2 and T20xx should feel equally snappy for your intended purpose with pretty much equal battery lifes...so keep your decision criteria centered arnd the screen quality, build quality and price

(assuming you do a fresh install...I have seen enough lappies with T7xxx proccys crawling when new just coz the manuf. installled way too much bloatware , sony being the worst culprit)

buddy 1 advice: think about dell, the vostros there are damn cheap, i had ordered 1 about a month back and the person i bought it for is really really happy about it now.

^^ Dell, I need to only order in online, thats not an option to me. The person who is going to bring it to me is coming back third week of this month, so my only option is to buy from a shop.
Moreover, i understand that dell display is not that good.

Moreover, i understand that dell display is not that good.

Qualifier...the display on the Vostros and Inspirons....The XPS 1330 has a very vibrant display..

By the way the 499 tag on the Acer looks good....this particular machine actually has a decent screen for the price....

a t2080 + 1 GB RAM will run Vista happily and fly on XP (see the last m/c on my sig ;) )

Just make sure that circular you are looking at is for your friends' local BB as the in store specials differ from one store to the other

Can Anyone Tell me more about HP DV9502AU Model: I means review and performance. I have plan to buy a notebook as desktop replacement. I have to choose between Dell 1520 & HP DV9502AU.

+ Point for Dell: Good service, Fast processor. GFX= Intel 3100
+ Point for HP : 17" Screen and other good feature like Finger Print Reader. Good for Desktop replacement + one more HDD space support 400 GB HDD.

I have seen the Product of HP today at retailer. The screen is damn large. Good view.

I am confused: which one for I go. I need it for Basic use Internet surfing. Webpage editing etc. No game at all. I get quotation of HP DV9502AU and it says Chipset: NVIDIA MCP67M. Is it Good? How will be the performance? Does NVIDIA Geforce Go 7150 M is better than Intel 3100? Help me to choose. I dont need for Game. but I am hardcore internet user means too many tabs in Firefox togeter and my PIII 1.1 Ghz witrh 256 MB Ram just stop to respond at that time. HP is preferable because I always used 17" monitor in home. I want to know about its performance with my work. They are Providing Vista Home Premium....Will this system handle VISTA or I will have to move to XP. Please help me out.

Check out this link for HP :DV9502AU

Back