Linux Laptop running hot using ubuntu 9.04

I was using Windows 7 and Vista until i started using ubunutu 9.04 as my primary OS.Currently i have no other OS than Ubuntu installed in my laptop.Before 2 weeks when i was on Windows 7 laptop was running fine, but now after 2 days of Ubuntu i noticed that my Laptop is running hot, as hot when i run GTA4 in Vista....is there any problem with my install ?

I dont use many apps at once, just pidgin messenger,firefox and VLC

Also when playing videos in VLC i see frames or lines which never hapenned in windows 7

Which graphics card ? Have you installed restricted extra ?

Right click on panel -> Add To panel -> Add 'Cpu Freq Scaling applet and Brightness control.

Try reducing the freq if supported by the cpu.

this is most likely the kernel not working well with the bios. intel core 2 duo cpus usually work very well.

can you search around for your laptop model and for kernel boot parameters, for example, on ubuntuforums one thread talks about LG laptop and adding "idle=poll" option which fixed a similar issue... but may be specific to your model...

edit: for example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/365798

there is a comment about asus bios, and using upgraded ubuntu vs. fresh install etc... you tried updating ubuntu with latest patches?

if you specifically want to stick with ubuntu search around, else another option is to simply install another distro like Fedora 11 or Mandriva latest becaues each distro has custom built kernel configurations/patches and others work better with different hardware...

@ Dark Star: done both,reduced the CPU frequence from 2.0GHz to 1.6 and brightness to half....lets see if this works...btw i have Nvidia 9650M gt in my lappy and yes i have installed restricted extra's

@Vishalrao: I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 from the CD.I did search for my laptop Asus N80VN kernel boot parameters but din't find anything that i would understand..Linux noob here :)

Dark Star said:
Right Click -> Appearance -> Visual Effects -> Choose an option.

Which vers. of Ubuntu you are using ?

I did enable the desktop cube effect, but i dont know how do i use it and the other desktops dont have any menu bars, how do i enable menu bars in other desktops.

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 JJ

^^Install Compiz settings manager . Open Synaptic Gnome Menu -> System -> Administration -> Synaptic

Type compiz in search and install Compizconfig settings manager along with compiz unsupported plugins.

Dark Star said:
What are the temps after using in Windows ?
Currently ubuntu is the only OS in my laptop but i used windows 7 for more than a month before installing ubuntu and i could feel the difference as the body of the laptop is becoming hotter and the fan is running at high speed after installing ubuntu.

Just a suggestion, try giving Mandriva a try. It more aimed and configured than Ubuntu :p

Just telling to check if its working fine in it or not ?

Dark Star said:
Just a suggestion, try giving Mandriva a try. It more aimed and configured than Ubuntu :p

Just telling to check if its working fine in it or not ?

I used whole of my hard-disk when installing ubuntu, around 220gb is main,8.5gb extended and 8.5gb swap.How do i install Mandirva ? and what version of Mandirva to download ? i have 4gb ram so i think 64bit is what i need.

FREE edition works very fast when compared to One [Live Disc even if installed] you can download One edition [comes only in 32bit] and get FREE DVD [32bit] from LFY of June :)

I believe you should stick with your current OS. There no benefit from distro hoping as what can be done in other distros can be done in ubuntu as well. its the same thing under the hood. you would never learn anything. besides Ubuntu Is great starting OS for linux newbies.

regarding temperature, I believe there is nothing to be alarmed off. its on a little higher side but temperature depends on lot of factors like current load and room temperatures. so relax:p

If you want save some energy and battery life. try CPU scalling, in which you underclock your CPU so it uses less power and it increases battery life.

More info:Enabling CPU Frequency Scaling Ubuntu Blog

Happy Virus Free Computing:)

Back