Budget 51-70k Laptop suggestion 50k+

Viz

Disciple
Namaste,
A cousin wants to buy a laptop for her daughter who is studying +2.
They prefer to have intel processor and 15”, although it is for home use and studies as of now, is it better invest little more and go for a laptop with dedicated graphic card keeping future needs or it isn’t worth the extra 10k investment stretching their budget to 60k. Please suggest

Thanks for your time and help.

Sri

Hi,
This is the model I am using. Pretty decent for office/home use although it doesn't have GPU.
Available between 50-53K among various retailers.

Here are the specs in short . Lenovo S340 - Model 81VV008TIN
  • Processor: 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 Processor (4 Cores / 8 Threads, 1.00 GHz, up to 3.60 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB Cache)
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64
  • Display Type: 35.5cms (14.0) FHD (1920x1080) IPS 250nits Anti-glare
  • Memory: 4 GB Soldered DDR4 2666MHz + 4 GB SO-DIMM DDR4 2666MHz
  • Hard Drive: 1 TB 5400 HDD + 256 GB PCIe SSD
  • Optical Drive: None
  • Warranty: 1 Year Onsite
  • Speaker: Stereo
  • AC Adapter: 65W
  • Touch Screen: No
  • Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics
  • Ports: 2xUSB 3.1, 1xUSB 3.1 Type-C, Headphone / microphone combo jack
  • Weight: 1.6 Kgs
  • Battery: 3 cell 52.5Wh, Upto 11 hours
  • Camera: 720p HD with PrivacyShutter
  • Fingerprint Reader: No
  • Keyboard: Backlit, English (India)
  • Pointing Device: ClickPad
  • Wireless: Intel Wireless (2x2 AC) & Bluetooth® 5.0

A graphics card isn't a worthwhile investment if the use-case doesn't call for it. Its just another part that increases power consumption and adds weight. Modern integrated graphics are very competent. Cousin's daughter might need something on the portable side(~14inch screen) if its going to be used for college. Your first choice in this price range should be based on the new 7nm Ryzen 4000 CPUs as they not only handily outperform their Intel price-eqvivalents but are also more efficient. Everyone will not necessarily try to make a case for the optimal choice and will just recommend something according to your wishes so make sure you don't set any sub-optimal criteria.

For a start, please avoid those Ideapads, they are terrible value.

For a start, please avoid those Ideapads, they are terrible value.
One year ago, I was also among the people who hated those ideapads, but believe me , they have improved a lot in few years.
I am using this Lenovo S340 - Model 81VV008TIN, and I am pretty satisfied. For a 14"laptop, it has decent build quality, FHD IPS display with decent brightness, upgradability (RAM/HDD), lightweight, and powerful battery. I have also used a few Lenevo ideapads from friends , and can say that they are now on par with Dell VOSTRO range or HP Pavilion range. But yes, Dell Inspiron range will still be better, if you can get them at same price .

Hi,
This is the model I am using. Pretty decent for office/home use although it doesn't have GPU.
Available between 50-53K among various retailers.

Here are the specs in short . Lenovo S340 - Model 81VV008TIN
a great choice however, I would suggest S540, I'm using it. Difference is, fingerprint sensor and metal body, compared to plastic that s340 have which gives a look like metal in grey color. S340 is decent choice but S540 make it worthwhile if you are spending 50k+

One year ago, I was also among the people who hated those ideapads, but believe me , they have improved a lot in few years.
I am using this Lenovo S340 - Model 81VV008TIN, and I am pretty satisfied. For a 14"laptop, it has decent build quality, FHD IPS display with decent brightness, upgradability (RAM/HDD), lightweight, and powerful battery. I have also used a few Lenevo ideapads from friends , and can say that they are now on par with Dell VOSTRO range or HP Pavilion range. But yes, Dell Inspiron range will still be better, if you can get them at same price .
I'm not against the entire line, just the variants mentioned above which offer poor value relative to what else you can get for the price. I actually prefer Lenovo's range over the entry level HP/Dell as the latter have had QC issues as of late.

MSI CX Series (CX62 7QL-239XIN ) DOS-4GB RAM-1TB HDD-Core i5 7th Gen-2GB Graphics (53K)
Dell Inspiron 13 5000 (5379) Windows 10-8GB RAM-256GB SSD-Core i7 8th Gen(72k)
Lenovo (V 310) Windows 10-4GB RAM-1TB HDD-Core i5 7th Gen(54k)
you can look at this suggestion.

You could also look at Acer Swift 3. Look for reviews.

Now I want to share my experience. It may no happen to you but it happened to me.

My 1st laptop was dell inspiron - 45k,
After about 2 years bottom chasis broke where the hinge is screwed.

Second laptop was lenovo z50-70 - 50k,
About 2 years hinge broke.

About a year ago I suggested the ideapad s540 to my cousin. I did extensive search for the best laptop possible for him. I even made him increase his budget from 50k to 60k to buy this laptop. But I think Indian laptop market doesn't really care about good build quality for anything less than about 1 lacs for non gaming laptop. After about 9 months the display casing split up near the left hinge. I think the whole industry has started to consider laptops as fashion items rather that tools for work. At this point I have stopped suggesting laptops to anyone.

I really want to say ymmv. It may not happen to you. But at this point I don't have any hope left for student laptops. All you can do is whatever you buy take care of it like a raw egg.

Attachments

• IMG-20200628-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200628-WA0000.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20210117-161031__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210117-161031__01.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 113
Guys hows the Acer Aspire 3 A315-23 - LINK ?
Main usage would be Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator.

Also, would any Core i3 laptops with 8GB RAM be good enough for the above mentioned usage?

Guys hows the Acer Aspire 3 A315-23 - LINK ?
Main usage would be Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator.

Also, would any Core i3 laptops with 8GB RAM be good enough for the above mentioned usage?
Go for dedicated graphics card with alteast 2gb vram with i3 processor for smooth performance while using ps or ai

If it is strictly for home and study usage, you might want to take a look at the iPad Air along with the Apple Pencil. Great for consuming films and taking notes. Touchscreen is pretty handy too.

Are you still looking for laptop. I have a suggestion.. Dell 5406. This one has 11th Gen Interl Processors.. i3, i5, i7 touch screen, dell pen and the price ranges from ~52000/- to 80000/-.

Back