laptop vs. netbook?? which suits my requirement best?

Guys few days back i decided to go for a netbook. But some of my friends suggested me that it will be better if i opt for a notebook. I am really confused now. Please suggest me according to my requirements what should i buy. My requirements are downloading, movies and internet surfing. Apart for this some basic office functioning like printing documents etc.
Also pls let me know what are the cons of a netbook overall performance wise for eg. If it lags during surfing etc.

For Surfing and stuff that you have mentioned above a Netbook would be more than enough... But if you would do some CPU intensive stuff then a Notebook would be better... IMO go with a notebook coz by spending 25k you can get a much better performing notebook than any netbook...

I guess it would be better to go for the cheapest notebook than a netbook.

Even though ur requirement is relatively light, a notebook would still be better.

I have seen my friends buying netbook and hardly using them in comparison to their phone and notebook.

I would ask whether you would need any kind of multitasking.
If your need is simple and you have just one thing(not CPU heavy) going on at a time, then a netbook will suffice. Anything more than that and the netbook will only frustrate you.
In other words, if you will just do a (mostly unattended) download then a netbook is OK.

see, if i will download then obviously i wont multitask. secondly, yeah thats sure it may be possible i will download as well as watch movie (but rarely).

Third thing is that i will do everything we can do with a PC (except gaming and running heavy programs like maya, autocad etc) but yeah, i will do some java programming.

I will sometimes use it for Office work like Ms PPt, Word and Tally.

And on the other hand, i want something portable too which i can carry with me to Delhi (i visit there frequently), so a good battery backup is must. Overall if we see, i will do there things i am posting priority wise..

Priority 1) Downloading

2) Surfing

3) Movies & songs

4) Then comes Office work like saving projects which i copy from wiki in documents and pics in ppt.

5) Programming (java only)

6) Tally

7) Printing work (once a month or less)

see, my bro is planning for an alienware so, i dont think my dad will allow me to spend more than 20k on anything because alienware will itself cost about 80k. And i too have a PC (a gaming rig).

So,guys pls clear my confusion what should i do now?? :| :/

Most netbooks cost above 20k and what i think is that spending anything above 20k on a netbook is really not worth it... Netbooks were introduced for people who like to do stuff on the go and who dont care about performance but the way netbooks are priced these days they are entering in notebook segment price wise... And notebooks easily outperforms netbooks... Many fusion netbooks are listed for above 600$... By spending 600$ a person can buy a much better performance laptop...

Hades. said:
Most netbooks cost above 20k and what i think is that spending anything above 20k on a netbook is really not worth it... Netbooks were introduced for people who like to do stuff on the go and who dont care about performance but the way netbooks are priced these days they are entering in notebook segment price wise... And notebooks easily outperforms netbooks... Many fusion netbooks are listed for above 600$... By spending 600$ a person can buy a much better performance laptop...

Netbooks are available under 16k range also.....and almost all of them have nearly same config specially proccy,ram...

Netbooks start at 14k including tax and Laptops start at 18.5k including tax. Let me give a small insight into cheap laptops and netbooks:

Netbook

RAM: 1GB DDR3 or DDR2; only ONE RAM slot mostly and no dual channel even if there are two slots

HDD: 160GB

CPU: Atom 1.66GHz (most popular today) or 1.6GHz Single Core

GPU: Intel GMA 3150 (most today are THIS one) or GMA 950 (if you're really unlucky to buy this...) or GMA 500

Battery: 3-cell or 6-cell, with 3hrs or 6hrs battery life approx

Size: 10" and 1024x600 resolution usually

Laptop

RAM: 1GB or 2GB (rare at this price) DDR3 1066MHz; can upgrade to 4+4 Dual Channel

HDD: 160GB

CPU: Intel Pentium P6100 2GHz, 3M Cache, 2 cores and 2 threads (Arrandale architecture)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics at 500MHz integrated in CPU

Battery: 6-cell, with 1.5 to 2.5 hrs backup

Size: 15.6" and 1366x768 resolution

Its a matter of purpose which you should select. Price to performance wise, you get what you pay for, though Notebooks are more VFM.

If you want to use it as a cheap desktop replacement, or for watching 720p x264 HD rips of movies or for light gaming or for anything that demands performance, you can't take the netbook. But remember, the laptop has a low battery life. And I MEAN low. I've one such cheap laptop from the previous generation (Intel Pentium T4400 Penryn 2.2GHz CPU_ and I can tell you that the battery life is just 100 minutes max. And these things are seriously bulky at 15.6". Nice for movies but BAD for using in Bus. I've serious trouble with my laptop even in the Volvo buses Bangalore's BMTC has.

Netbook is best used as a PDA in its truest form - spend a little more for one with a good build quality and it should last quite a few years if its purpose is to keep you digitally connected on the move. You can use them for office work while traveling, watching 700mb xvid rip movies in buses/trains, casual gaming (flash, GBA/NES emulators, pinball and the like). They are mainly attractive due to their extremely tiny form factor. Really easy to use while travelling and battery does not ditch you half way through a 3-hour movie.

If the device is your one and only PC, a laptop is the only buy you can make. But if you have a powerful desktop at home and need a travelling companion or a gaming laptop and need a secondary laptop then a netbook is the better choice.

What kind of portability do you need? Netbooks are very light and easy to carry around. They have sufficient oomph for the requirements you have mentioned. But see if you can get a 12" Netbook. Screen size is the only irritant I have faced in my 3 years of using an EEE PC 1000H Netbook. I will make everything really simple for you:
If you have a powerful Desktop at home, get a Netbook eyes closed.

If you don't have a Desktop or another Laptop, get a Laptop (Had written Netbook by mistake earlier).

You know all my friends watch me with envy when I take out my super portable Netbook while they lug around their heavy laptops with drooping shoulders.

Just saw your sig. Don't even think of getting a laptop man. Get one of those 12" Netbooks. You will never regret it.

for movies you would hate the netbook, I had the same set of requirements and repented everyday using the netbook's 10 inch screen to watch movies.

Get a notebook.

dissel said:
yeah this seems to be a good idea...
BTW how much battery backup can be expected and how much power it will consume(as i will download, so keep it on whole day as well as use it with inverter{electricity problem here})??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

baccilus said:
What kind of portability do you need? Netbooks are very light and easy to carry around. They have sufficient oomph for the requirements you have mentioned. But see if you can get a 12" Netbook. Screen size is the only irritant I have faced in my 3 years of using an EEE PC 1000H Netbook. I will make everything really simple for you:
If you have a powerful Desktop at home, get a Netbook eyes closed.

If you don't have a Desktop or another Laptop, get a Netbook.
You know all my friends watch me with envy when I take out my super portable Netbook while they lug around their heavy laptops with drooping shoulders.

Just saw your sig. Don't even think of getting a laptop man. Get one of those 12" Netbooks. You will never regret it.

Well said brother.....i want that much portability that i travel to delhi (250kms from my city) frequently with only a small back bag and stays there for a 1 or 2 days. I travel by car or by train. so, it should be that much portable that it should not increase my luggage size + it should meet my priorities mentioned above. I only watch 700mb movie rips, so it can play them easily thats what i want.

If 700MB RIPs are all you're gonna watch also consider some of those atom netbooks. The CPU may be weaker (Atom 1.66GHz) but an Intel GMA 3150 is good enough for your purpose. Advantages you get is that:

1) You can save 3-5k

2) You get Windows 7 Starter as OS which is pretty neat on a netbook atleast

harshit143 said:
Guys few days back i decided to go for a netbook. But some of my friends suggested me that it will be better if i opt for a notebook. I am really confused now. Please suggest me according to my requirements what should i buy. My requirements are downloading, movies and internet surfing. Apart for this some basic office functioning like printing documents etc.
Also pls let me know what are the cons of a netbook overall performance wise for eg. If it lags during surfing etc.

Netbooks are meant to satisfy exactly the kind of requirement that you have mentioned like internet surfing and running some office sotwares like MS Word, excel etc. The advantages of a netbook are light weight, very long batter life, low power consumtion and very low cost.

I am using a netbook since last year and I have not faced any problem till now.

Back