Monitors LCD Monitor for Gaming

Anish

Skilled
As most of my new rig is bought, only the monitor is left. I had decided on the Samsung 793MB 17" Flat CRT for Rs.7800.

But a lot of my freinds are saying that since I am buying a new PC once in for all, I should go for a LCD.

The monitor I have found to be pretty good and the cheapest is the HCL HCM 510LSA. Here is a link.

Also the 15" LCD from Acer is quite good and won an award too.

The Samsung and Viewsonic are a bit out of budget as they cost nearly 12.5k

Please give me your thoughts on whether it is worth it for gaming, as that is my main concern. Also is the Ghosting problem very serious as I have not noticed anything while playing at Webworld.

from the same review
Certain objects look grainy, text looks jagged, below par sharpness, prominent ghosting in games

Obviously the difference isn't noticeable under normal operation but when playing games at high frame rate there can be a bit of ghosting. And the ghosting effect was clearly visible when I tried playing Unreal Tournament and Need for Speed Underground on this. This is certainly not gamer material.

Defintely not worth it for gaming, if someone is comming form US, try sourcing it from there. for gaming, below 12ms, preferbly 8 ms response time LCD's worth it IMO..

Hmm, what about the Acer or even maybe the Samsung, coz I cannot buy any 17" LCD so the max budget is 12k, can push it to maybe 12.5, nothing above that please.

Also keep in mind the important factor "Gaming"

Please help !

heres some good advice for ya, get a CRT . you might even get a 19" for the price

i'm not joking. cheap lcds are really not worth getting. but if you absolutely want one , dont get it unless you can get a demo and see if you can live with it.

Anish, if u are getting a 15" LCD then whats the point of a 6800NU card ? Seriously u cud have purchased a cheaper card and gotten a LCD then. Mostly ppl buy hi-end cards like the 6800 series for gaming @ resolutions in excess of 1280*1024. And yeah most LCDs available in india dont have a low response time.

scrap the idea m8, get a 17" flat, dont have anything against 19" but its too big and then the power consumtion, and yes, if u have the moolah, then try getting a 17" monitor that supports 1600 x 1200 res..

Dude buy an LG flatron e700s.Best monitor in India.Or check out their lcd range.My experience with both philips and samsung has been very very bad esp with regards to service.With samsung both the product and service are bad.
So far only my LG products have been working flawlessly.(two flatron tvs,a fridge and an audio system)

Well the best in 17 inch is Samsung 793MB - my opinion.
For the features it has.

@undertaker - my college has samsung monitors since many years no probs
with them, also many of my friends have it , they too didnt have ne probs.

Acer is the only 17 inch to support 1600x1200 has Video BW 200Hz
and power consumption 120W , highest.

Normal 17 inch have power consumption in range of 70-80W

Last edited by a moderator:
undertaker said:
With samsung both the product and service are bad.
So far only my LG products have been working flawlessly.

why do you say that ? my samsung monitor has been working flawlessly for nearly a year ..

no doubt LG makes quite good consumer products, but nothing beats the quality of samsung when it comes to Monitors and stuff, nothing againts LG, ive got 2 LG tvs, fridge, oh yea, and a monitor even, but i wud still rate LG as second best after samsung when it comes to monitors..

go for Samsung 510n.. offers 16ms response time... which is fair nuff IMO.... otherwise the image quality is just superb.. i have 710n.. 12ms... but its 19k :( if you could extend your budget try to get samsung 710n/viewsonic Va712(17k-second best- 8 ms)

Hmm, so so LCD's for gaming eh.

But guys does the 793MB support 1280 x 1024 ? What Refresh Rate ? My old 753 only supports 1024 x 768 and looks very small and distorted at 1280 x 1024 @60 Hz even when my freind plugged in his X600XT.

The other flip is that since the res of a LCD is locked, 2-3 years later, most games will have to be played at 800 x 600 but then my 6800 should be able to manage 1024 x 768.

Now I told my parents about the LCD, and they want me to buy it above all, as it looks really great and is easy to move around and clean up too ;)

What about the monitors in Webworld, those were pretty great, and they were Samsung. I have no brand issues, just response time and price are important.

anishcool said:
Hmm, so so LCD's for gaming eh.

But guys does the 793MB support 1280 x 1024 ? What Refresh Rate ? My old 753 only supports 1024 x 768 and looks very small and distorted at 1280 x 1024 @60 Hz even when my freind plugged in his X600XT.

The other flip is that since the res of a LCD is locked, 2-3 years later, most games will have to be played at 800 x 600 but then my 6800 should be able to manage 1024 x 768.

Now I told my parents about the LCD, and they want me to buy it above all, as it looks really great and is easy to move around and clean up too ;)

What about the monitors in Webworld, those were pretty great, and they were Samsung. I have no brand issues, just response time and price are important.
It supports 1280x1024 @60Hz. If you have a budget of around 12-13K, get a 997DF instead. Much better monitor than the 793MB. Excellent monitor. Have been using one for the last six months. Once you get the geometry settings right, (needs a bit of tinkering) it really rocks in games. It does 1600x1200@75Hz and 2048x1536@60Hz. What more would you need for gaming :D. BTW hell with the power consumption :p

Thanks for the advice Chaos, and yes I can get a 19" CRT for that budget, but then my dad will only allow me to spend that extra few Ks for the LCD, so no LCD no 12k !

I guess I will have to look for a good deal in the LCD market. I have given it a second thought and yes, the LCD's do look great !

Chaos said:
It does 1600x1200@75Hz and 2048x1536@60Hz. What more would you need for gaming :D. BTW hell with the power consumption :p

yeah :D :D :D

at 1600x1200, the aliasing effects are verrry low....i reeeally enjoyed gaming @ 1600x1200 on a FX5200 :cool2: verrrrry little aliasing noticed even with AA disabled....

BTW, mine does 1600x1200 @ 85Hz, max is 1920x1440 @ 60 or 75Hz (never tried it)

hehe...hell with power consumption :p

Guys aren't we off topic ?

The thread I posted here is asking for help in buying a 15" LCD. Oh, and is it true that the viewable area of 15" LCD is more or less the same as a 17" CRT ???

yeah in an LCD.... 15" means 15"... while on a CRT 17"= 15.7" viewable area... and yeah LCD looks so much better :p

ps- btw try getting 17".. the difference is huge :p

Back