Monitors LCD Monitor Resolution - 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1080?

flexman

Disciple
I am planning to replace my trusted 4-yr old 19" square LCD (with MVA panel!!) with a newer model as the response time (12ms GTG) impairs movie watching. Widescreen seems to be the norm nowadays and from what I gather, it seems almost all computer LCDs come with TN panels. I am not planning on spending more than 12K so I guess that rules out IPS panels.

My question is with regard to the resolution. I saw the Benq G2412 (1920 x 1080 res) at Croma earlier today and a 22" LG model (1680 x 1050 res). The Benq is very wide and actually lesser in height than my current 19" screen. The 1680 x 1050 screen seemed easier to navigate compared to the Benq. Whilst the term "Full HD" is banded about in recent time, my question was what would a widescreen DVD movie look like on a 1680 x 1050 screen. Apart from the black bars at the top and bottom, would the clarity/sharpness etc. be better on the 1920 x 1080? Which resolution would you guys suggest?

I use the computer for word/excel/web surfing (70%) and watching movies (30%). Whilst the idea of not having black bars on widescreen films on a 1920 x 1080 screen seems nice, it is a real PITA to navigate such a huge friggin screen.

Perhaps people using both resolutions mentioned above can share their thoughts/views?

The aspect ratio of a 1920x1080 screen is 16:9, meaning no black bars except for movies that are shot in cinemascope and not cropped. For most DVDs, this is a non-issue as only a few titles are non-cropped, most will be at 16:9. At 1680x1050, most movies will have a black bar on top and bottom, and for cinemascope the bars will be fairly thick.

I use a 2560x1600 monitor and wouldn't trade for anything smaller. I love the scren real estate. One has to tune the mouse to navigate the screen correctly, a higher mouse speed and acceleration help.

My Philips LCD is 1920x1080 42", and I find it a little cramped, honestly speaking - even given the greater distance from the screen. Just not enough space to hold a full desktop. I guess you can say I'm spoilt.

Thanks for your replies. On a 1680 x 1050, apart from the black bars, would the clarity/sharpness etc. be any worse compared to a 1920 x 1080 screen.

It depends on the screen, frankly, your subjective tastes and the ambient conditions. Generally a large screen exhibits worse off-axis performance when sitting too close to the screen due to sheer size.

Your source material has an effect too, if you have a HD source and lots of material in HD the bigger screen will be of benefit. Frankly though, an upscaler will have an easier job (and look better) on the lower resolution screen.

If real estate is not a concern, then the smaller screen will suit you just fine seeing what you are upgrading from. However I like to have large viewing area so I prefer the larger screen, and I juts move back a bit when watching clips in full screen. It's a matter of taste, really.

The panels in both those monitors will be pretty basic TN panels, you need to select the one you happen to like better. Both will be as good or as bad.

i just got a benq g220HD. its really awesome, and i feel it slightly better than samsung 2233sw. the g2220hd has same panel as that of e2200hd. but e2200hd has hdmi and speaker too [not sure].

so image quality on both are same, while the g2220 hd costs 9k while e2200hd costs 10.5k.

OP these are my personal views and I feel most of TE members will disagree....
Screen real estate and a more pleasing AR is much more imp than full HD resolutions...
Even if your monitor is Full HD, from where will you get fullhd movies? Blue ray is still very costly and Full hd rips (1080p) are 8 gb in size.
Infact now a days most of the rips are in 2.35:1 aspect ration, which means that even on a 16:9 monitor you'll see black bars...
And a 22" 16:10 (1680 X 1050) monitor's width is only slightly less than a full hd 22" (actually 21.5") monitor while it has a significant height advantage. See the thread LCD size demystified under guide and tutorials...
So web browsing, data processing and everything else will be better suited in a 16:10 monitor and for movies also you won't feel much difference except black bars.
And for your question "On a 1680 x 1050, apart from the black bars, would the clarity/sharpness etc. be any worse compared to a 1920 x 1080 screen" I really don't think so.
The only problem with a 22" 16:10 monitor is it's availability. Samsung T220 was a very good option but it is hard to find. Dell 2209WA, people are mad about it though it's IPS panel is major reason for that, is very costly. Then Viewsonic VX2240 is one option worth considering

bigbyte said:
OP these are my personal views and I feel most of TE members will disagree....
Screen real estate and a more pleasing AR is much more imp than full HD resolutions...
Even if your monitor is Full HD, from where will you get fullhd movies? Blue ray is still very costly and Full hd rips (1080p) are 8 gb in size.
Infact now a days most of the rips are in 2.35:1 aspect ration, which means that even on a 16:9 monitor you'll see black bars...
And a 22" 16:10 (1680 X 1050) monitor's width is only slightly less than a full hd 22" (actually 21.5") monitor while it has a significant height advantage. See the thread LCD size demystified under guide and tutorials...
So web browsing, data processing and everything else will be better suited in a 16:10 monitor and for movies also you won't feel much difference except black bars.
And for your question "On a 1680 x 1050, apart from the black bars, would the clarity/sharpness etc. be any worse compared to a 1920 x 1080 screen" I really don't think so.
The only problem with a 22" 16:10 monitor is it's availability. Samsung T220 was a very good option but it is hard to find. Dell 2209WA, people are mad about it though it's IPS panel is major reason for that, is very costly. Then Viewsonic VX2240 is one option worth considering

Second that using a 16:10 screen/monitor & resolution is better in Most other desktop work for which the PC is basically built,than just using it for HTPC & playing cinemascope+ movies in it,which 16:9 may have marrginal edge

Back