Monitors LCD monitors

If you have a budget constraint I would highly suggest you wait for prices of the 24 to drop to within your budget... yes, for "FULL HD GOODNESS" :p I am sure by Diwali this year (who knows? maybe sooner) the 24 inch will be much more affordable (if you can wait that long)...otherwise go for the ultrasharp 22 which is not much more expensive than the entry E228 :)

manu1991 said:
For movies get a 24" . full HD goodness

Agreed, but gameplay suffers.. FPS wud drp down wen u dnt've a good gfx card.. Fer tat matter even a 3870X2/8800GTX wont do the job in playin recent games @ full res..

Since gaming is not in ur reqmts, u may look @ the E248WFP..

Full HD.. :)

Aces170 said:
Ok I have a budget constraint, and hence am sticking to 22"

Good.. So stick to the Ultrasharp 22incher.. Its a fairly good one but the generic TN panel..

vishalrao said:
If you have a budget constraint I would highly suggest you wait for prices of the 24 to drop to within your budget... yes, for "FULL HD GOODNESS" :p I am sure by Diwali this year (who knows? maybe sooner) the 24 inch will be much more affordable (if you can wait that long)...otherwise go for the ultrasharp 22 which is not much more expensive than the entry E228 :)

Sir,

Suggest lowest power consuming tft for office NO movies & graphics in 17".
After viewing all brand web site, i found viewsonic is the lowest, but they mentioned typical value not max value as in case of Acer.

gcbeldar said:
Sir,

Suggest lowest power consuming tft for office NO movies & graphics in 17".
After viewing all brand web site, i found viewsonic is the lowest, but they mentioned typical value not max value as in case of Acer.

For office purposes get a Samsung or a Viewsonic 17incher..

Dell may be an overkill...

Get a Viewsonic 1703wb.. Widescreen and decent enuf..

Lo'l.. More or less like an AMD and an intel proccy?? :bleh:

Overkill in terms of money obviously..

Prices of Dell 17 inchers here:
17" LCD Monitor

For tat price u can settle fer a 19incher from Viewsonic..

@gcbeldar: In my office there are a few new LG 17 inch square (non widescreen) LCDs and they look really good. The screen finish is very deep black when turned off and I didn't notice any backlight bleeding.. so you can check those out...

If you plan on watching movies on the screen, then i'd advise against TN LCD panels. I believe except for the 20" model, all the other are TN panels
TN LCD panels can suffice as PC monitors, but for extended usage in watching movies they are a poor choice due to their limited viewing angles.
Viewing the screen outside of the viewing angles, it feels like looking at a negative (negative as in photo film negatives). Even inside the viewing angles, the colors are distorted unless you are watching the screen head-on at eye height
With respect to color reproduction and viewing angles, S-IPS LCD panels are the best, and the MVA/PVA LCD panels are next. TN LCD panels are last choice.

I believe the expensive 20" model is a MVA/PVA model (Dell used to ship S-IPS panels in the 20" models but no longer)

thats nothing to be surprised about. for example, most of the notebooks with US and/or Japanese brands (Dell, Sony, Toshiba etc) are manufactured in places like South Korea and Taiwan... you might have heard of the name Quanta that makes a lot of these notebooks for the major well-known brand names :)

DriftKingNT said:
^^In the link you provided, the manufacturer and the brand we buy the monitor from are different. Why is it so?

This is so that they can play panel lottery. If you look at the specs provided by manufacturers, they never mention the panel type.

Frankly as a consumer, this just sucks. The only way to deduce the type is to look at the manufacturer published viewing angles (I believe TN is usually within 170 degress, and the other panels are above 170 degrees) and price (not very reliable)

You can use sites like above as an indicator of the panel that could ship.

As a rough parallel, have a look at the disk manufacturers who define mega/giga in powers of ten (MB=10^6=10,00,000 bytes) versus the computer which has always define mega/giga in terms of powers of 2 (MB=2^20=10,48,576 bytes)

Moral of the story: Manufacturers will shaft you if they can get away with it

DriftKingNT said:
^^In the link you provided, the manufacturer and the brand we buy the monitor from are different. Why is it so?

Lo'l... :lol:

Ur E248WFP is jus a DELL branding..

Nothin surprising..

Companies like HP, DELL get their Lcds and CRTs manufactured from an OEM supplier..

Same in case of many components like the optical drives..

Many Liteons're Optiarcs..

The Coolermaster600w is a Seasonic 500w n so on...

Back