Monitors LCD TV best suited as Monitor

I'm fond of bigger displays & have had a 19" CRT monitor till now. The introduction of bigger LCD monitors has started tempting me but the bigger LCD monitors are quite costly, specially in India as of yet. the 27" & above are almost beyond my reach.

I was researching on buying an LCD TV rather, which I can use as a dedicated MAINSTREAM computer monitor as well. so when later the LCD monitors become cheaper & advanced i may still use this LCD TV as TV & buy an LCD monitor for the PC.

So after the intro.... I request all u intelli's to guide me if using an LCD TV as a monitor is satisfactory? & then which all brands are best suited for that purpose in mind. Like I saw review for a Hitachi TV to be good.

I can describe my PC usage as :

1. Gaming 30%
2. Internet browsing & other usual work 40%
3. Movies Mostly downloaded Xvid's 30%

So this concludes that the PC is used pretty much heavily for everything dedicatedly so all parameters need to be covered evenly.
So pls let me know what specifications to look for while buying the TV as per the above usage i told.

Thx

Dell 2407 FPW. Costs 40k + Tax, does 1080P native, will have better PQ and resolution then any LCD for the price. Also LCD Tv's have a resolubtion of 1366X768, so almost no games can be played at native resolutions.

get an LCD with good respinse times and contrast ratios

LCDs r sleeker, smarter, give less strain on the eyes and consume much less power and color depth these days are on par with CRTs.

vij said:
get an LCD with good respinse times and contrast ratios
LCDs r sleeker, smarter, give less strain on the eyes and consume much less power and color depth these days are on par with CRTs.

Oh!!!!! My god
I never knew that. thx that was so much of help.:rofl:

It'd be better if u can suggest some good model rather than telling what an LCD is bro.. even a 5 yrs old kid knows that.

I strictly play at 1280x1024 only, & I'll make sure that the LCD TV I buy has a1:1 ratio mode available so that I my screen doesnt (Stretch to Fill) when i'm playing at lesser than native resolution.

And Yes abt the budget, It actually doesn't matter because I will prefer features over the price anyday, else whats the use of expanding to Better/Bigger display. I'm happy with my 19" CRT also.

Anyways I'm aware of the Technicalities guyz, what is to be seen & what is to be bought, I just put a thread to know if someone is actually using it in practice. U know Actual usage is the best expression of Live experience.

The Dell 2407 would be good enough, the only problem is the resolution, becoz at 1280x1024 the Pic will pixalate to some extend.

i hear vx924 is a very good bet....i asked this on other forums before forking money for that....

mehargags said:
Oh!!!!! My god

I never knew that. thx that was so much of help.:rofl:

It'd be better if u can suggest some good model rather than telling what an LCD is bro.. even a 5 yrs old kid knows that.

I may have offended you...

Sorry...

But my knwledge of LCDs is that of a 5 year old...true......Good luck

As two people have already mentioned the Dell 2407FPW will be a great choice as you are looking for features and the 2407 is absolutely woth it's cost looking at the features (Rs. 43,890 to be exact incl. everything).:D

BUT, there were some widespread issues reported with the 2407 models, like significant banding and text blurrying etc.(see this) Seeing this Dell did firmware updates so far two of them A00 and A01. As far as i know the A01 fixed most of the issues in the desktop mode (three modes desktop, gaming and mulltimedia) but the banding issues still remain in the gaming and multimedia modes although it is visible only if you look for it. And as for the A02 revision i haven't come across any reviews or pictures, it is said that the A02 revision has fixed all issues whatsoever. If this turns out to be true this will be your best buy.

Just make sure that you'll get the A02 revision before you order. Although 'Chris M' Dell's official forum mod. has assured that all the monitors shipped after 9-june-06 will be A02's. And after all this there is five years warranty on these sweet babies. Also i would suggest you wait for some time to get some reviews of the A02 rev. to come out just to be sure you don't have to replace the A02 for a maybe a future 'A03'. And did i tell you that all earlier models will be replaced with the A02 no questions asked.

I wish the A02 has fixed the issues, i've my heart set on this.:(

well Thx for the efforts so far.

But No way DELL, its the shittest brand on earth for anything - speacially accroding to Asian environments.

& if it comes to LCD TV's, Dell isn't actually an OEM brand, Mere packager. U find most of the reviews covering Dell coz its one of the cheapest around.

Anyways I think i'll have to make a deep study for this, till now What i seen is Viewsonic 32" & hitachi 30". Viewsonic was a lil better but hitachi one's got more features. Still I'll give more brands like samsung, sharp & philips a try before shelling out. Just keep posting reviews incase u strike some good piece

Dell are one of the cheapest n one of the best around. You wont find a similar product for the same prices that it offer, on the other hand gives loads of features. Most of the ppl around the world consider Dell upon other brands, even in asian countries. btw it would be of real helpful for us if u post ur budget. The LCD TVs u posted would be very exp, just consider them to be 1+ Lakh.

So plz post ur budget yaar, so that we can post a particular model.

@mehargags

Dell maybe a mere packager but the prices they give are unmatched (specially on the bigger models). I also feel frustrated sometimes with dell, but one would be a fool to buy an apple 23" or an Eizo or a sony.. instead of the dell 24" from the 'price vs features' point of view. their prices are what make you deal with dell.

Do you have the prices for the viewsonic 32" (exact model??), you mentioned?

mehargags said:
well Thx for the efforts so far.
But No way DELL, its the shittest brand on earth for anything - speacially accroding to Asian environments.

& if it comes to LCD TV's, Dell isn't actually an OEM brand, Mere packager. U find most of the reviews covering Dell coz its one of the cheapest around.

Anyways I think i'll have to make a deep study for this, till now What i seen is Viewsonic 32" & hitachi 30". Viewsonic was a lil better but hitachi one's got more features. Still I'll give more brands like samsung, sharp & philips a try before shelling out. Just keep posting reviews incase u strike some good piece

Dell maybe a shitty brand but its LCDs are the best in the business for the price. Now there is the catch... for the price. If I can get a 24" Dell for 800$ that is as good or better than a 2000$ Eizo, why buy the Eizo. The only reason to buy dell is the price and nothing else and the only hardware I'd ever buy from Dell are its displays and nothing else :p.

@chaos
U actually said something not deinable at all. but still I'd look if other brands can be available for comparable price.

@Google
Yaar i had the full price list for viewsonic from Sun infotech but lost it somewhere. I'll try n get it again soon

Back