Lenovo® G560 (0679-99U) --> Is it a good buy?

DarkAngel

Skilled
Lenovo G560 0679 99U Laptop Computer With 15.6" LED Backlit Screen Intel Pentium Dual Core P6100 Processor by Office Depot

• Pentium® Dual-Core P6100 Processor
  • Extra-large 4GB memory
  • 320GB hard drive
  • Wireless-N
  • 15.6" diagonal LED-backlit screen.
  • Plays and burns CDs and DVDs.
  • Built-in webcam and microphone
  • Keyboard's integrated numeric keypad speeds data entry and calculations.
  • Provides up to 4 hours of battery life on a single charge.
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

The config is great for $400. My cousin is coming by End of Nov but starts from there couple of days before thanks giving day :( How long before thanks giving day offers and deals on electronic stuff start to pour in? I can ask him to buy till Nov 22nd/23rd, if its a store purchase from office depot/ best buy.

The only con in this model is the track pad. How is Lenovo service in India? Is it too pathetic to not consider them at all? Do they have intl warranty?

Also if some members have the G560 model please share ur experiences here :) TIA.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Lenovo G560 Review

the G550 is available in india at 30K with a T4500, 2GB Ram and a 500G hard disk

My sister has one

My opinion

1. swapped CTRL and Fn keys is annoying to the point of being a deal breaker. there is a bios patch available, but still ...

2. the alps trackpad used in these thingies is crap. it sometime does not detect motion at all, and sometimes vertical scrolling does not work, and the cursor skips randomly while typing

there are things you can live with, but just be aware of them :)

kuduku said:
Thanks for the 2nd link. The first one is a single core proccy. Not worth it. The second one has the exact same specs as the Lenovo. But it lacks a E-SATA port and express card slot. So lenovo is better unless the Acer has exceptional build quality.

The lenovo reviews say the keyboard is excellent, Battery life is also great and the build quality is pretty good. The only con as Greenhorn says is the swapping of the Fn and Ctrl key and the Track Pad.(Stupid lenovo) For my normal usage i can use the laptop with a mouse. Not an issue.

But i am unable to find a suitable review for the Acer 5742Z. It seems similar to the 5738z etc... Can someone who owns this model confirm the same? If it is the same then the Acer also doesnt have a great track pad and have inferior build quality to the G550/G560.

Also how good is the GMA HD for light gaming? Will i be able to play Ashes 2009 (or at least the NFS MW :))

Service wise i know both are not as good as dell in India. But which of the two is better?

Have to decide by EOD or Tomorrow at least. Else the deal will expire or it will mostly get sold out. Help me out guys :)

Or is it better to wait up for more such deals to crop up before Nov 10th for online stores and Nov 23rd for local stores? Can somone advice me reg. this?

The GMA HD wont be able to handle even the games like NFS MW at medium details and resolution but if you plan to play even the older games at lower resolutions and detail then you can go for it but i will advise you to spend a bit more and go for a decent GPU based laptop and also wait for few days as pre black friday sales are also great and not much difference with the actual black friday deals.

RS4 said:
The GMA HD wont be able to handle even the games like NFS MW at medium details and resolution but if you plan to play even the older games at lower resolutions and detail then you can go for it but i will advise you to spend a bit more and go for a decent GPU based laptop and also wait for few days as pre black friday sales are also great and not much difference with the actual black friday deals.
Gaming is not a must. Dont wanna get a laptop with GPU w/o warranty. More heat, greater chances of conking off. I guess i will stick with IGPs. Plus looking for a cheap laptop after selling off my older C2D based dell. May go for a new one in June 2011 when one more cousin visits India ;) I might sell this off for 18k-20k den :lol:

Can we get even better deals then this? He will be starting couple of days before black friday. So will there be be even better deals in the follow up week.? He doesnt know much about this.

You get the best deals on black friday but you will start getting very good deals 1-3 weeks before black friday itself, so just keep looking for better deals, maybe get a laptop with international warranty;)

RS4 said:
You get the best deals on black friday but you will start getting very good deals 1-3 weeks before black friday itself, so just keep looking for better deals, maybe get a laptop with international warranty;)

Honestly i am even more confused than before now as of when to ask him to buy it.:S The config and price is too good to ignore. Thanks for the help though :)

greenhorn said:
1. swapped CTRL and Fn keys is annoying to the point of being a deal breaker. there is a bios patch available, but still ...

+1. I don't know why Lenovo just doesn't give up on this Fn key idea and move it somewhere else. It's really hard to remember this when one switches between laptops.

Otherwise, the build quality of a Lenovo is quite good. We use Lenovo T410 at our office for our business use.

kuduku said:
why not

Acer® Aspire AS5742Z-4685 15.6" Laptop | Staples®

in same price range

felt AS5742Z-4685 is much better with RAM and HDMI port
So took the plunge with this model for $400. Thanks for the link kuduku. Decided to take if after it had all 9 reviews in newegg gave it 5/5 and seeing the pics der. Nice textured finish :)

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5742Z-4685 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core P6100,15.6",4GB Memory, 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD

Only -ve seems to be speakers. It doesn't matter as i use ear phones.

These days the laptops doesn't come with OS disks. So is creating a recovery disk mandatory? Can we use the OS key with a trial version of Win 7 HP to activate it when formatting it in the future?

Nice purchase :eek:hyeah:

You can create recovery discs if you want to restore the laptop to the exact same condition as you get it out of the box with all the trialwares/crapwares installed but it saves you the activation hassles.

Regarding windows7 key,you can call the microsoft india customer support and tell them that you need an activation key for your genuine windows7 as you have done a clean install on your laptop,they will ask for your windows7 key printed on back of your laptop,thats all. or else you can use this guide:

ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) | directedge.us

RS4 said:
Nice purchase :eek:hyeah:

You can create recovery discs if you want to restore the laptop to the exact same condition as you get it out of the box with all the trialwares/crapwares installed but it saves you the activation hassles.

Regarding windows7 key,you can call the microsoft india customer support and tell them that you need an activation key for your genuine windows7 as you have done a clean install on your laptop,they will ask for your windows7 key printed on back of your laptop,thats all. or else you can use this guide:

ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) | directedge.us
Damn. Such PITA procedure even though we pay for it :mad: Its better to install the no hassles version of Windows 7 in case i wanna do clean install i guess. :muahaha:

I have to wait till last week of nov or first week of dec to get the laptop though :aww: The newegg user reviews + HDMI port + pathetic touch pad of Lenovo swung it the acer way. :)

^^No need of going ahem way for clean install,just download the os from microsoft.com then call MS india activation centre for activation key,calling for activation key is a simple 2 mins process and you get genuine version of windows for just 2 mins of your effort.Here is the phone nos for windows activation:

(91) 80 4010 3000

RS4 said:
^^No need of going ahem way for clean install,just download the os from microsoft.com then call MS india activation centre for activation key,calling for activation key is a simple 2 mins process and you get genuine version of windows for just 2 mins of your effort.Here is the phone nos for windows activation:

(91) 80 4010 3000
Ok :) Thanks for the no.

^Read post no.11, ABR also does the same, have mentioned phone no. if anyone needs to contact MS india activation centre as some people arent comfortable with ABR etc..

From where can we download the Windows 7 HP ISO file from MS website, so that we can use our own key? :S I am not able to find a link :ashamed: Is there some other website where we can download the original ISO?

Back