Lenovo P780 Alleged Problems

Icarus

Disciple
Can a P780 user please confirm or dismiss these problems??
1. The screen flickers at times
2. There is some amount of lag after use.
3. The Bluetooth does not connect at times
4. 3G cannot be found in most areas
5. **Call quality is low, i.e. you need to shout into the phone to talk
6. Trouble with email sync
7. Autorotation does not function
8. No post call, usage and charges alerts

Have 3 of my colleagues using the P780
#1-#7: no complaints
#8 is true... they are using USSD to notification app to solve that

I too saw similar complaints on flipkart. interestingly none of them are from certified buyers... A case of Astroturfing?

^^ if you want to see the certified buyers crying foul then check out Lenovo's own forum.

Hmmm.. Have you seen the phone in person? Not that I can prove if it always happens or doesnt happen at all...

All i'm saying is: I've not seen these problems with the people around me. :angelic:

Yeah, I saw the same lenovo forum and found it fishy.
So, I went for the LG Optimus G for 27K - much more expensive, but more reliable.
BTW there were no stocks of the 16GB Nexus 5 which may have been a better buy at 29.9K. Waiting on the website says 5-6 weeks!!

Hmmm.. Have you seen the phone in person? Not that I can prove if it always happens or doesnt happen at all...

All i'm saying is: I've not seen these problems with the people around me. :angelic:

whether those users on Lenovo forum are lying or not, what's worrying is the kind of response given by official support staff. they are asking people to contact their network operators for USSD issues and outrightly denying their responsibility to handle it. USSD issue is quite unheard of in general but why would people unnecessarily try to tarnish Lenovo's image by mentioning issues unique to this model only?

anyways, people known to me had developed issues after 2 months of usage. and this is the general trend seen by other people. so, it could be because of faulty 4GB version (as 8 GB wasn't available back then) or Lenovo silently fixed it in the latest batch (as their non-Indian versions didn't have any issues).

my phone got damaged 2 weeks ago and i was in the search of a new one immediately. P780 appealed to me but came to know about associated issues (poor call quality is unacceptable to me). i enquired in the market and dealers told me the same story.

rather than waiting for those lying users to report about fixes, i was relying on some kind response from Lenovo that they fixed it but all they are saying is that they didn't find any issues in "Brazil"!

Yeah, totally agree with the you man. Lenovo's response was hilarious.
The phrase "China ka maal" comes to mind. Ironically,
I've got a business of importing from China :p

The call volume isn't as high as I'd like it but the clarity is ok. I've not encountered any of the remaining issues except USSD which isn't really much of a bother for me.

Same here mate with 8 GB, in fact my Note 2 is lying in cupboard after using this (though there is hardly any comparison between the two). But has abolished the need of carrying two phones,
The build quality is far superior to any Chinese Phone, and Battery rocks
The IPS display is definitely of a best quality , its treat watching it straight , though some chromatic aberration is observed with wide oblique angles...

Simply put ... Fully Paisa Vasool !!
In need of good custom roms (esp 4.4) , which can make use of its full potential.

Is the 8GB version reliable enough for lots of official (important) calls?

I've used some top of the line phones during their heydays (S2, S3, Xperia, HTC etc). Wanted to know if P780 can compete with the call quality of good phones? I spend lot of time on conference calls and one-to-one meetings, so battery life and call quality is of utmost importance to me. Ofcourse, dual SIM would be an added advantage but I believe it's not dual active.

Also, want to add that nobody faced "not reachable" on my earlier phones, unless I was really off the network's reach. So, I am used to such reliability. I have no experience of dual SIM phones and I am just hoping this Lenovo is reliable enough in the calls/network department.

I just bought an Xperia dual SIM as a stop gap solution. Should I buy P780 now? I've spent 3 weeks dilly-dallying :)

@s_anuj
Yeah it does support rooting , custom roms etc.. I meant not so excellent selection variety compared to Samsung phone. Also 4.4 rom aren't available as of now.
Needrom. Com has many available.

@gauravH
As far as reliability is considered I never faced any issues so far. What a coincidence: I also changed from xperia M dual sim. . :):)
Call quality and connectivity issues , I haven't faced any.
You can use it as a reliable phone. No doubt. Perfect for professionals. Hope this helps.

instead of custom roms, try using xposed framework + gravity box + app info for all your customization needs.

it has given great results on my xolo q800

You can use it as a reliable phone. No doubt. Perfect for professionals. Hope this helps.

yes, your inputs were quite helpful. could you find out the manufacturing date (from the box) or build date (firmware) of your phone. if possible, i'll try to source the phone from the same lot. thanks!

@Icarus
"No post call, usage and charges alerts" has been corrected in the latest firmware update. I hate these statistics anyway so don't care much about them.
3G coverage is similar to what I got with my other phones(G502, MB526).
Call quality - it's even bejn tter than most of the phones I use. Maybe the users using are blocking the 2 extra noise-cancellation mics using covers or with hands. It even gives an option to turn the noise-cancellation option off.

Rest of the problems you mentioned are entirely invalid for my piece.

P.S. : I'm using it for the past 4 days, and I got the 8GB one.

Almost finalized to buy this one...

Recent buyers please let me does this really has any issues ?

Any good online deal will also be helpful.

The deal looks sweet, I've not yet faced any issues with it. Overall I'm pretty happy with the phone.[DOUBLEPOST=1386230517][/DOUBLEPOST]A request, all those who get this phone please try and create interest in its development on XDA. CM for P780 will be awesome.

Last edited:
Back