Let the Music Play !!

Hi ppl!

My last music system was a Aiwa -wasnt all that bad until the Main Unit died on me a couple of yrs bac :(
This trip to S'pore came up & I came back with this:

Marantz SR4001 AV Reciever.

Mission M34i Floorstanders.

Mission MH3c Centre & MH3s Surround Bipolar speakers.

Am using Ecosse Coaxial Cable to connect the DVD Player to the AVR & Straight Wire Component cable to connect DVD Player to TV directly.
(Using the AVR just for Multi-Channel audio)

It was a great experience to buy this stuff from Alpha Audio in "The Adelphi" in Sg ( a stone's throw from my hotel there-a pleasant surprise!)
For the uninitiated, Adelphi is a awesome mall having shops that pretty much deal only in AV Equipment. Uber xuber stuff there; total drool maal!!

The salesman was extremely helpful and didnt mind entertaining my eccentric requests :tongue:
I had initially planned to buy the Marantz AVR & 2pairs of Usher S-520 + a S-525 Centre, but the moment i listened to both a Bookshelf & a Floorstander at the shop; the difference in SQ was almost palpable.

My initial budget was 500S$ each for the AVR,BS& teh Centre+Surrounds.
The M34i & those expensive cables threw my budget out of the window and I ending up spending abt 50% more than i had planned to.. :eek:hyeah:

Lugging those heavy spkrs from Sg to India was a big PITA. the whole thing came to abt 60Kgs !!

Had to put the 40m of Speaker cable+ banana plugs in my hand baggage.
At Colombo Airport , the security opened the bag and said "Sir, this will hav to be sent as a secure item with the Airline Crew, and will b given to u at IGIA "
Maybe he thought i was gonna blow up the plane or something :mad:

anyway once the whole thing reached my home safely, i heaved a HUGE sigh of relief.
Setup the whole system & wiring with a lot of help from Anish :hap2: :hap2:

After breaking them in and yday finishing filling the M34i with 5 Kgs of sand, they sound "Verrry naice.. !! "

With the monsoons here; i had to cook the Sand to get the moisture outta it and then filtered it, cooled it and then filled the M34i !!

All in all a good experience, they sound great both with Music & Movies!!

I would certainly recommend a AVR over a dedicated Amp IF both Music and Movies are important for u :hap2:

zhopudey said:
The missions are great speakers

I remember the Missions were a very highly respected brand from the days I was interested in HiFi hardware way back in the late 70's early 80's ... the Mission speakers had a reputation of having a very laid back quality to their sound just like my B&W's which I had then. I just loved the quality of sound from British speakers when compared to the American and Japanese brands. Of course things must have changed a lot now :)

good stuff! hey i'm planning on hitting S'pore to pick up some AV components myself - an AVR and projector. i'm wondering how you managed to get 60kg on your plane ticket. isn't the baggage limit 20kilos?

lemme know cuz if its possible, i'd be willing to risk the PITA.

@ Vandal:these babies do make a lotta music!! the Vol control goes from -71 to +28 or something. i have not managed to go beyond 0 !

@Zhop,Eazy: Thats wat the Salesman said to me too.. "You cant compare British speakers to anything else.." He also told me an interesting nugget- Denon & Marantz r owned by the same Co in Europe- DM Electronics ! Small world..

@Nikhil,Bottle,Sourav: Thx guyz ! they r a pleasure to listen to.
My previous low reference point of the AIWA system; surely help too ! :bleh:

@m4w: we were three ppl, so that helped.. the limit is actually 20+7 for the handbag. The AVR is abt 12Kgs, dunno abt projector.

@Chief: totally abt 60k. 13k for the AVR, rest for the Spkrs & cables. :hap2:

Back