Budget 41-50k LF a laptop that doesn't have a shitty 5400 RPM drive

Blackend

Disciple
  • What's your Budget? - 45-50k
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Work mostly and some rare gaming(I have a desktop for it)
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? Anything between 13 and 15 is fine.
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? No brand preference.
  • Any other considerations? None is particular. Battery life is slightly important.
As above, looking to replace my work laptop and I can't for the life of me find a good laptop under 50k that doesn't come with a shitty 5400 RPM drive or a 24 GB SSD which is good for nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

Why not simply replace the drive to something you want?
You could also look for a laptop with an mSATA slot (Lenovo Essential B490), so you can add your own mSATA SSD and not sacrifice storage space.

Why not simply replace the drive to something you want?
You could also look for a laptop with an mSATA slot (Lenovo Essential B490), so you can add your own mSATA SSD and not sacrifice storage space.

If I replaced the drive on my own, would warranty be affected? The mSATA is interesting, are there any more laptops other than Lenovo? Haven't heard good things about their build quality.

I've done the same with two of my laptops (they're old models though- HP Pavilion 1000tx and Acer Aspire), replaced the lousy 5400 rpm HDDs with SSDs and it really makes them scream with performance and responsiveness! And these are OLD SSDs from around 5+ years ago when the price per GB was double and performance around half of what you get in today's mainstream models :D

It's sad there are really no options in this price range (50k) for laptops with SSDs (unless you want to go for the pricey MacBook Air/Pro) and just a handful of outrageously priced "ultrabooks" (Dell, Lenovo, Acer etc.) at over Rs. 1 lakh have them by default.

Unfortunately adding your own SSD will add maybe 10-20k to the price for the SSD itself depending on the size but well worth it IMO. Don't know about how it will affect warranty, probably will void it.

If I replaced the drive on my own, would warranty be affected?

In most laptops, replacing/upgrading RAM and HDD is easily accessible in single window at bottom. As long as you have original HDD, you can anytime replace and claim warranty. As suggested earlier in thread, I too have replaced HDD with SSD around 2.5 years ago and 5 years old laptop is still working good for most tasks. Since this is Office/work related laptop, I think SSD with capacity of 256GB would be suffice and would cost around 7-8k.

During replacement of HDD, there was not seal or something similar present saying 'warranty void if removed/broken'

Yeah since the HDD and RAM slots are user accessible, I assume they shouldn't pose an issue with warranty.

@Crazy_Eddy ; he can also do what you did i.e. remove the optical drive and add another ssd/hdd as needed? one for the os and one for storage.
Yeah he can. Except I think some of the newer laptops/ultrabooks are doing away with optical drives or using slot load drives, to make the laptop slimmer.

The mSATA is interesting, are there any more laptops other than Lenovo?
I'm not sure, the best I could find was this list : http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/msata-ssd-compatability-list.html , but quite a few of the models are not current or some of them are missing from the Indian market.
I do find that a lot of the enterprise series laptops, eg thinkpads, vostros/latitudes, etc. are more likely to have an mSATA (or the newer M.2/NGFF) slot.

Well from all the responses here, I don't think I need to replace my current laptop then. I could just add either a 7200 RPM drive or a 256 GB SSD. I am currently using a Dell Vostro 3460 which is less than 2 years old. I think it has an mSATA slot but I am not sure. Will check and decide on the best possible option.

Go for an SSD than for a 7200 RPM drive. These high RPM drives generate a lot of heat which may cause serious problems unless the case is designed with a proper air-flow. When I wanted to replace a 7200 RPM drive for 2010 model of Macbook Pro, the Apple service gave a strict no for using 7200 RPM drives citing the heating and component failures as the reason.

Well from all the responses here, I don't think I need to replace my current laptop then. I could just add either a 7200 RPM drive or a 256 GB SSD. I am currently using a Dell Vostro 3460 which is less than 2 years old. I think it has an mSATA slot but I am not sure. Will check and decide on the best possible option.
I added a 256GB SSD to my 3.5 year old Vostro 3550. Insane improvement in boot times and performance has improved. You will find more gain in upgrading to SSD than getting a new laptop. Adding it was pretty straight forward and previous drive was a WD Black 7200 RPM.
Look out for some discounts in eBay. Should be able to get a 250GB model for ~7kish

Back