Android Limit on Android phone releases.

shakesbeer

Recruit
Do you guys think that there should be a limit on releases of Android phones by different phone companies. There are so many of them and with similar names.
It seems like every month a new phone is getting launched with similar specs to the last one.
And wouldn't it be easier to support/update them for longer since there are fewer phone to support.

The UI plays an important role according to me, all manufacturers has customized there own UI.
Many users (atleast me) stick to a specific brand due to UI and some basic features which are not easily available with other manufacturer without a third party app.
Support/Updates are not available after few years to make users buy new phone.. (marketing)

The UI plays an important role according to me, all manufacturers has customized there own UI.
Many users (atleast me) stick to a specific brand due to UI and some basic features which are not easily available with other manufacturer without a third party app.
Support/Updates are not available after few years to make users buy new phone.. (marketing)
I'm not saying some companies should stop making phones. What i mean is , they should release a limited number of phone over a year like 2 or 3.

Do you guys think that there should be a limit on releases of Android phones by different phone companies. There are so many of them and with similar names.
It seems like every month a new phone is getting launched with similar specs to the last one.
And wouldn't it be easier to support/update them for longer since there are fewer phone to support.
Manufacturers won't stop churning new phones, in recent times mobiles have reached the hardware limitations
Meaning a phone will have a processor, camera, storage, RAM and stuff, how high that is a question.
The next level of real innovation is yet to come - something like click & print instantly from the phone itself, solar charge etc., till that time they'll keep churning phones like popcorn in a microwave hoping something clicks.

Do you guys think that there should be a limit on releases of Android phones by different phone companies.
Yes.. Will they do it? NO. Why? Read on!!
The profit margin is higher when a company sells a phone. Most companies in the sub 15-20k will downgrade your phone through updates and within two years you would be so frustrated with the experience that you would end up getting a new phone.
Some companies do provide support like Samsung, Apple etc but then they also charge a hefty premium which puts them beyond the reach for most. Enter the Chinese brands who provide amazing specs at cheap pricing but force you to upgrade after sometime.

It's the business model, EoD!!

What's the point of such hypothetical questions?

Who will impose this limit? What would be the legal basis for this? Do you want the government to start meddling in the day to day decisions of businesses? How will you define what's the correct number? Do you also want garment manufacturers to produce only a certain number of designs? Or other similar companies to also limit the number of choices they give to the consumer?

A simpler, more feasible solution from a regulatory stand point would be to ensure that hardware manufacturers provide spares parts support for at least 5 years and software support for at least 3 years. This will automatically lengthen the life of these products.

it has a marketing advantage. Atleast a perceived one. Such frequent releases was one thing Samsung employed to be the largest seller. It also helped them kill off competition who couldn't keep up.

Moreover, phone buyers look at latest releases or are recommended newer releases. Old models hardly get any mention.

it has a marketing advantage. Atleast a perceived one. Such frequent releases was one thing Samsung employed to be the largest seller. It also helped them kill off competition who couldn't keep up.

Moreover, phone buyers look at latest releases or are recommended newer releases. Old models hardly get any mention.
I still have & use a Nokia 8.1 as backup & its built like a tank :D, though its update cycle has ended
Sadly seems Nokia is the only one following the suite of "1 good (according to us) phone a year and we'll go to sleep"
Its the no of phones other manufacturers churn which pushes more competitors in the system & hence we have a rainfall of new phone models everyday

Back