Linux Linux shell scripts and ffmpeg builds for you to compress mp4 video file according to your needs.

You realize your scripts are not much use, right?

I'm certainly not going to shove some version of ffmpeg that you give me onto my system, when I can install it (and the codecs and dependencies) from my online repos. And your scripts don't allow anyone to change bitrates, select audio tracks or subtitles, or any of the things someone might want to do when converting a file. Most of the gui's and front end converters let you do such things easily. And using 99 (or even 100 pct) of your cpu isn't going to "destroy" your computer, unless you don't have it built and cooled properly.

How long have you been using linux?

In the scripts I have provided I used the variable $br which represents video bitrate. If you want to use your own just replace $br with what you want.

Running processor at 99 percent is not good as it raises temperature. Every cpu has specifications that say if you run above suppose 70 degrees it may destroy your pc.

If you find any diffects in my scripts then modify them and distribute those modified scripts to others.

In the scripts I have provided I used the variable $br which represents video bitrate. If you want to use your own just replace $br with what you want.
[/QUOTE]
Great. And what about audio? Subtitles? Audio bitrate? Stereo/mono/dolby? Nothing?
Running processor at 99 percent is not good as it raises temperature. Every cpu has specifications that say if you run above suppose 70 degrees it may destroy your pc.
[/QUOTE]
No kidding that a CPU running at high usage gets hot. And again if you have a properly built PC with proper cooling its not an issue at all. I routinely run my CPU's at 100%
for extended periods with zero problems at all so your 'argument' is wrong.
If you find any diffects in my scripts then modify them and distribute those modified scripts to others.
Lots of 'diffects' (guess you mean DEFECTS?) in them, and I'm not going to fix your scripts for you. Haven't you been using linux for a long time now? WHy can't you fix your own scripts?

At present I am able to achieve what I want using the scripts provided by me.

If you want to encode with details such as subtitles, mono Dolby etc., and you have time try to read manuals of ffmpeg, ffprobe which are short.

ffprobe is an useful tool and can be used to get properties of input video file and after that you can use these same properties or use your own as your wish.

I have provided scripts to you to help you in any manner not anything else. Mostly may be useful to starters.

Hi the main reason behind creating these scripts is to reduce the size group of video files. These scripts must be modified by people who are experts in video encoding concepts and distribute to others.

Upto now there are lot of guis for ffmpeg tool but there are no proper scripts. Using guis are not always recommend because you can't achieve what you want using them. For example in some guis you can't how much cpu resources you want to use. I have used upto 3 ffmpeg guis to compress the video file captured from android smartphone camera by giving video bitrate as 400 kbps in options window. The file has been compressed and after that I have opened the output video file in VLC media player and found that the image is stretched. I have not passed any option to stretch the image.

Many of you have android smartphone and capture videos from camera. I have captured video from android smartphone of size 400 mb with length just 4 minutes.

I have tried to compress this particular video file using ffmpeg gui but failed as the output video is stretched but I have used simple ffmpeg command and it compressed this particular video file to 6 mb by passing video bitrate as 400 kbps. The quality of both output video file and source file are almost same.

Many of you asked what is the need of re encoding a video file with same parameters and my answer is I forgot to provide a script to compress video file at specific video bitrate. So I have uploaded new script to source forge.

Let all of us collaborate and produce nice scripts to ffmpeg for our daily use.

Dude calm down. :)

The kid is just getting into the water with this kind of work. Don't just dump on him like this. He will learn just like we all did.

Everyone starts out as a noob at some point of time.
Nope. Put "rupeshfor3 linux" into Google. He's got over 10 yrs experience in linux and in all that time hes always had his hand out for scripts and won't ever read a man page. The fact that he says that the ffmpeg man page is 'short' is a good indication hes not actually looked at it. And if you look back it was you that actually got his script to work, wasn't it?
At present I am able to achieve what I want using the scripts provided by me.

If you want to encode with details such as subtitles, mono Dolby etc., and you have time try to read manuals of ffmpeg, ffprobe which are short.
No they're not; have you actually looked at them?
ffprobe is an useful tool and can be used to get properties of input video file and after that you can use these same properties or use your own as your wish.
Right. And how does that address any of the other issues? You asked for input on 'your' scripts and they're lacking. And your response is to say if we don't like it that we should add to them and give them back to you?
I have provided scripts to you to help you in any manner not anything else. Mostly may be useful to starters.
Very, VERY beginners might want them.

Hi the main reason behind creating these scripts is to reduce the size group of video files. These scripts must be modified by people who are experts in video encoding concepts and distribute to others.
So your saying that you want someone else to make the scripts useful and give them back to you?

Upto now there are lot of guis for ffmpeg tool but there are no proper scripts. Using guis are not always recommend because you can't achieve what you want using them. For example in some guis you can't how much cpu resources you want to use. I have used upto 3 ffmpeg guis to compress the video file captured from android smartphone camera by giving video bitrate as 400 kbps in options window. The file has been compressed and after that I have opened the output video file in VLC media player and found that the image is stretched. I have not passed any option to stretch the image.
And all this means is that you didn't set the options right nothing more. And cpu usage isn't an issue because again it doesn't matter if you run your cpu at 100%.

Many of you have android smartphone and capture videos from camera. I have captured video from android smartphone of size 400 mb with length just 4 minutes.

I have tried to compress this particular video file using ffmpeg gui but failed as the output video is stretched but I have used simple ffmpeg command and it compressed this particular video file to 6 mb by passing video bitrate as 400 kbps. The quality of both output video file and source file are almost same.

Many of you asked what is the need of re encoding a video file with same parameters and my answer is I forgot to provide a script to compress video file at specific video bitrate. So I have uploaded new script to source forge.

Let all of us collaborate and produce nice scripts to ffmpeg for our daily use.
I don't see where 'many' have asked you anything of this sort. And I've never had an issue with using any gui based tool to modify videos mainly because I set the options correctly. And if you honestly think anyones going to believe you took a 400mb file to 6 mb with no discernable loss of quality good luck. And since there are thousands of scripts that use ffmpeg already out there theres no need to collaborate on yours to do something you want for your own use. Why cant you use any of the existing tools?

To wit:

Last edited:
Thanks for your research upon me.

I have created small ffmpeg scripts for myself and found useful and so I thought that these may be useful to you also and so I made visible to all of you.

Previously I have said a lot that using ffmpeg gui is not always recommend but you have not received it.

As gui is not useful in proper way anyone can search for script and unfortunately there is no proper script.

Slowly I have created and shared simple ffmpeg script which is easy to understand and I have given oportunity to modify and redestribute.

None of you are going to do what I expected at beginning and instead discussing unnecessary issues.

Nope. Put "rupeshfor3 linux" into Google. He's got over 10 yrs experience in linux and in all that time hes always had his hand out for scripts and won't ever read a man page. The fact that he says that the ffmpeg man page is 'short' is a good indication hes not actually looked at it. And if you look back it was you that actually got his script to work, wasn't it?

No they're not; have you actually looked at them?

Right. And how does that address any of the other issues? You asked for input on 'your' scripts and they're lacking. And your response is to say if we don't like it that we should add to them and give them back to you?

Very, VERY beginners might want them.

So your saying that you want someone else to make the scripts useful and give them back to you?

And all this means is that you didn't set the options right nothing more. And cpu usage isn't an issue because again it doesn't matter if you run your cpu at 100%.

I don't see where 'many' have asked you anything of this sort. And I've never had an issue with using any gui based tool to modify videos mainly because I set the options correctly. And if you honestly think anyones going to believe you took a 400mb file to 6 mb with no discernable loss of quality good luck. And since there are thousands of scripts that use ffmpeg already out there theres no need to collaborate on yours to do something you want for your own use. Why cant you use any of the existing tools?

To wit:
Try one your own.

First capture a video in android smartphone camera and after that transfer to your Linux PC. After that open the app tragator which is ffmpeg gui and give what ever options you want like video bitrate, video codec like libx265 etc.,. Finally click the button convert or encode.

Do the same in windows using format factory which is gui for ffmpeg.

After that open the converted output video file using vlc media player and compare the image resolution of output and input video files.

I have used 400 kbps video bitrate and found acceptable to me. You can use whatever bitrate you want that depends upon you.

I am challenging first convert it to x265 with video bitrate as 400 kbps and compare the quality of output and input video files.

Don't try to argue without trying anything else.

Thanks for your research upon me.

I have created small ffmpeg scripts for myself and found useful and so I thought that these may be useful to you also and so I made visible to all of you.
You didn't create them; you took what others gave you and claimed it.
Previously I have said a lot that using ffmpeg gui is not always recommend but you have not received it. As gui is not useful in proper way anyone can search for script and unfortunately there is no proper script.
Nope. The GUI's are usually recommended because they work and take junk like this out of the equation but you arent using the tools correctly. And what do you mean by 'proper script' exactly? you mean one that does what you want? You're right there isn't going to be one that does exactly what you want because that would mean that YOU have to do it. And you won't.
Slowly I have created and shared simple ffmpeg script which is easy to understand and I have given oportunity to modify and redestribute. None of you are going to do what I expected at beginning and instead discussing unnecessary issues.
Why slowly if youve been scripting for 10 yrs now? Especially when its nothing more than a simple loop with an awk and a variable.

Try one your own.

First capture a video in android smartphone camera and after that transfer to your Linux PC. After that open the app tragator which is ffmpeg gui and give what ever options you want like video bitrate, video codec like libx265 etc.,. Finally click the button convert or encode

Do the same in windows using format factory which is gui for ffmpeg. After that open the converted output video file using vlc media player and compare the image resolution of output and input video files.
Why? I dont use windows and since I can use handbrake, vlc, avidemux, obs studio, or kino why should I use whatever app you say? All those work fine and again I dont have ANY problems with things being stretched or bad output. Because I know how to use the tools and you obviously dont.
I have used 400 kbps video bitrate and found acceptable to me. You can use whatever bitrate you want that depends upon you.
Don't dodge the question; are you seriously claiming that a 400mb vid to 6mb won't look awful?
I am challenging first convert it to x265 with video bitrate as 400 kbps and compare the quality of output and input video files.

Don't try to argue without trying anything else.
your wrong period. your just not gonna take 400mb to 6 and not lose a ton of clarity/frames/etc.
Wow:

and a pattern emerges.

Last edited:
Back