Audio Logitech Z-2300 : The Last of the Titans

Guys this is no personal advertisement, just wanted all of you to know that my review of Logitech Z-2300 was considered good enough for the front page of neowin.net.

neowin-member-reviews-logitech-z-2300-mega-review

This review started as a fun concept & I never thought in my deepest dreams to receive so many well wishes. Thanks to all the members of this forum for the support.

Quote from their neowin.net administrators:

Anaron said:
This has to be the most in-depth review I've read for a speaker system. Great job, RishiGuru. (Y) I think you'll be pleased to know that your review made it to the front page: Neowin.net - Neowin Member Reviews: Logitech Z-2300 Mega Review

They are also asking me, if I am professionally interested to do this kind of reviews. I am yet to think about an answer.

Stumbled upon some new info on the brand new Corsair SP2500 2.1 PC Speaker. Corsair is talking a lot regarding their embedded Digital Signal Processor(DSP) in the system which seems it to be a Texas Instrument TAS3308 chip.

Texas Instrument TAS3308 (DSP)

TAS3308 Block Diagram

TAS3308 (DSP) accepts the analog audio input from the source, then converts it to digital with the help on a Analog to Digital Converter(ADC) before feeding it to the Digital Audio Processor(DAP). The DAP then separates the digital audio signal into three different bands:

1) (20 Hz - 140 Hz) --> Subwoofer

2) (100 Hz - 5 kHz) --> Midrange

3) (5 kHz - 20 kHz) --> Tweeter

I would have loved if Corsair have included an S/PDIF IN. Some sound quality are definitely lost by these unnecessary analog/digital conversions:

Currently,

PC Digital Audio Signal --> PC DAC --> PC Analog Audio --> Corsair 3.5mm jack --> Input Analog Signal --> SP2500's ADC --> Digital Audio Signal

If their was a Digital input in SP2500 then,

PC Digital Audio Signal --> S/PDIF OUT --> coaxial cable --> S/PDIF IN --> Digital Audio Signal

No extra DAC & ADC here resulting in better sound quality. Also $260 is a lot, so Corsair missed an important feature here.

Amplifier Module

Bass driver

The left one shows the concealed chamber of the sub. The amplifier is situated here.

The right one shows the the chamber with the port. The power supply is situated here.

The bass driver seems good, the magnet is the largest I have seen on a 2.1 PC speaker. This is the least to be expected from a $260 2.1 PC speaker. Mind you Logitech Z-2300 is worth only $110.

In the end I still think the SP2500 is overpriced. $200 price tag is justifiable where as $180 would have been a steal.

It's always preferred to send frequencies or can say audio signals via shortest path as possible to avoid loss in sound quality and increase in noise in the audio signal.

abhi_jollyguy said:
It's always preferred to send frequencies or can say audio signals via shortest path as possible to avoid loss in sound quality and increase in noise in the audio signal.
I agree with you completely, just why Corsair did not include a digital input is a mystery to me. Mind you in India SP2500 is going to cost near INR 17,000.

RishiGuru said:
I agree with you completely, just why Corsair did not include a digital input is a mystery to me. Mind you in India SP2500 is going to cost near INR 17,000.
If it is so, so music lovers would like to get Audio Engine A5 by adding 3k more.

Thats a great review...

But it took a lot of time to complete reading...
I think not everybody afford that much time for reading a review.

Try to make it more concised, It would help attracting lot of readers.

Note: The people who read the technical whitepapers and press releases are far lower than people who goes through the concised news...
Hope I'm Explaining...

awesome review Rishiguru. I'm a proud owner of a Z2300 ( i believe we've met before at hfv)

Have you figured out the HPF/LPF sections of the Z2300? (I'd asked you this earlier) One of my sats blew, and I'm thinking of getting a good pair of cheap bookshelves, and crossing the sub a little lower, and I'm too reluctant to take it apart if it cannot be done.

While nobody will deny the audiophile pedigree of the MX 5021 etc, it still can't make entire hostel blocks ( ladies included :p) move their bodies like my Z2300 sub can :eek:hyeah: ( to the point where some other hostel block complained to the warden :ashamed:)

everything has its purpose, and for my current needs, nothing fits like the z2300!

apollyon said:
Detailed review!

How much does the 2300 retail for?

I got the Z-2300 last October at INR 6,800 at Logitech Brand Store.

Thanks for appreciating my review.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

greenhorn said:
awesome review Rishiguru. I'm a proud owner of a Z2300 ( i believe we've met before at hfv)

Have you figured out the HPF/LPF sections of the Z2300? (I'd asked you this earlier) One of my sats blew, and I'm thinking of getting a good pair of cheap bookshelves, and crossing the sub a little lower, and I'm too reluctant to take it apart if it cannot be done.

While nobody will deny the audiophile pedigree of the MX 5021 etc, it still can't make entire hostel blocks ( ladies included :p) move their bodies like my Z2300 sub can :eek:hyeah: ( to the point where some other hostel block complained to the warden :ashamed:)

everything has its purpose, and for my current needs, nothing fits like the z2300!
Thanks for the support.:)

I think the high pass filter for the Z-2300 sats is the JRC4565 dual op-amp situated at the main amplifier board.

The crossover frequency may be changed by increasing (or decreasing) resistor / capacitor values.

* Increasing capacitance or resistance - Reduces frequency

* Doubling the capacitance or resistance halves the frequency

* Reducing capacitance or resistance - Increases frequency

* Halving the capacitance or resistance doubles the frequency

But it is quite critical & complicated.

What bookshelves are you considering for the Z-2300? I have two Z-2300 & was also thinking on the same line.

Are this Sony Sony SS-B1000 passive bookshelves available in India?

SS-B1000 | Bookshelf Speakers | Sony | SonyStyle USA

Amazon.com: Sony SS-B1000 5 1/8-Inch Bookshelf Speakers (Pair): Electronics

Mind you impedance of the bookshelves should be 8 ohms.

Proud to own a set of z2300's!!! Just love 'em.... (Although not as detailed as my IEM's but they do provide some great bass wheneva required)

pratzgh1 said:
Proud to own a set of z2300's!!! Just love 'em.... (Although not as detailed as my IEM's but they do provide some great bass wheneva required)

Enjoy your Z-2300!!!:D

I have two, the last one cost me INR 6,800.:eek:hyeah:

I mean there is no way you can get a better audio system at that money.

thanks for the photo. I was afraid that it might have some sort of proprietary chip to do the filtering, but this is just as bad (I've no experience with SMD boards - was planning to play around with the R/C values in the filter circuit otherwise)

I'm not sure what to buy, being a cash strapped student in bhubaneswar, cash and availablity are the biggest problems. If you are planning to use the internal amp, for the sattelites, I'd look for some small sats with decent highs and mids ( i think the crossover kicks in pretty high) and with high sensitivity ( since I've found the sats the bottleneck when cranking up the volume) - here at our hostel, the Z2300 does the duty as our resident party machine, so its used at its limits a lot :)

If you are planning to use it just as a sub, you have a lot more options :)

Back