Long boot times after updating to Windows 20H2

Emrebel

Adept
Today Windows decided to force the update on the system to Windows 10 20H2.
After the update it takes almost 5 minutes fore to login to desktop.
Heck it takes atleast 1min for login screen to come up.
Anyone else facing similar issues?
Any help to resolve the issue.

It will force me to update to ssd on the laptop :(

Today Windows decided to force the update on the system to Windows 10 20H2.
After the update it takes almost 5 minutes fore to login to desktop.
Heck it takes atleast 1min for login screen to come up.
Anyone else facing similar issues?
Any help to resolve the issue.

It will force me to update to ssd on the laptop :(
No issues on my Intel nuc after the update, still about 30-45 secs boot time... Check if any drivers or programs are interfering with your boot times

@Emrebel
  • Upgrading to 20H2 from 20H1 is being done via an Enablement Package, which means the older build and the new build have an identical set of system files. Since there's no major change involved, the slowness might not be related to the underlying Windows build but third-party apps, as suggested by @msankadi. You can use Windows Performance Recorder to identify the root cause behind the delay.
  • In general, using Windows 10 on a mechanical HDD is really not a good idea. Even an entry-level SATA SSD as the boot drive can show a huge performance increment,

@Emrebel
  • Upgrading to 20H2 from 20H1 is being done via an Enablement Package, which means the older build and the new build have an identical set of system files. Since there's no major change involved, the slowness might not be related to the underlying Windows build but third-party apps, as suggested by @msankadi. You can use Windows Performance Recorder to identify the root cause behind the delay.
  • In general, using Windows 10 on a mechanical HDD is really not a good idea. Even an entry-level SATA SSD as the boot drive can show a huge performance increment,
True I am already looking into upgrading to SSD and Additional Ram

The boot time has improved after removing a VPN from starting at bootup.
It was not even showing in startup programs but I has to disable it in services.

Sysinternals autoruns is a great tool for analyzing startup issues and unwanted items like rogue drivers etc… though it lets you delete pretty much everything just be careful when deleting drinvers and winsock lsps.

Sysinternals autoruns is a great tool for analyzing startup issues and unwanted items like rogue drivers etc… though it lets you delete pretty much everything just be careful when deleting drinvers and winsock lsps.
Thank you for the share. It generates a lot of data.
And while I can filter it out, how do I find third-party apps?

Also I forgot but after running the debloater it feels much better:

I stopped Cortana, removed OneDrive and other bloatware. Oh and bonus you can enable Dark theme!

Thank you for the share. It generates a lot of data.
And while I can filter it out, how do I find third-party apps?
it would be a combination of description and internet search. its been a while for me on windows. used to system programming a very long time ago. back then i used to remember registry like the back of my hand. ;) basically the binary’s description has company’s name and a basic description. otherwise it’s a rogue.

it would be a combination of description and internet search. its been a while for me on windows. used to system programming a very long time ago. back then i used to remember registry like the back of my hand. ;) basically the binary’s description has company’s name and a basic description. otherwise it’s a rogue.
I feel more comfortable on linux now compared to MS beta bullshit.
Linux has it's own issues but I found them always fixable.

Back