Budget 30-40k Long lasting Samsung/Apple phone around 35k

b33rus

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 35k max

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: Oled

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, etc).
A: any but 3 years update needed

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 5G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Chinese company phones

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Camera, mails and internet

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A: should last atleast 3 years, good speakers

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: iPhone 12(after it comes down in price when iPhone 14 launches), nothing phone 1, s20 FE(but it is almost 1.5 year old phone)

Galaxy A53 will get updates till Android 16 (4 years) and one more year of security updates. Nothing phone 1 will get you updates till Android 15 (3 yrs) and one more year of security updates. I can't think of any other android phones in your budget getting 3 or more updates.

Personally, I'd get Nothing phone 1 since the galaxy uses an inferior exynos processor, no wifi 6 and no wireless charging.

Just my 2 cents, but the quality of update differs a lot.

In general, if you look beyond the 3-4 year range, Samsung considerably reduces the update frequency after the first year, so the security updates are a bit of a sham as you are sometimes not protected against the latest exploits for over a quarter. Also, the quality of the OS declines considerably. Quite some time ago, I read that the core team works on the software for only around a year in case of flagship devices and for considerably lesser time on midrange devices, to sell as many of them as possible. Thereafter, everything is either outsourced or assigned to junior teams as a learning experience, due to which the optimisation becomes worse with time in case of Samsung devices.

For other manufacturers, even more of the software is outsourced to vendors, so don't expect the same update frequency or level of quality later on.

In case of an iPhone, the older devices do have issues initially with major releases but subsequent dot releases are still optimised. Also, the latest exploits are patched within a few days, so can't really compare iOS updates with the Android ones.

Galaxy A53 will get updates till Android 16 (4 years) and one more year of security updates. Nothing phone 1 will get you updates till Android 15 (3 yrs) and one more year of security updates. I can't think of any other android phones in your budget getting 3 or more updates.

Personally, I'd get Nothing phone 1 since the galaxy uses an inferior exynos processor, no wifi 6 and no wireless charging.
My only issue with nothing phone 1 is that new updates seem to introduce more issues. also their quality control is bad.

My only issue with nothing phone 1 is that new updates seem to introduce more issues. also their quality control is bad.
Fair concerns, especially for a brand that is just entering the market and is yet to establish itself. Not to mention it looks like it'll be pretty hard to get your hands on one atm. I know you mentioned no Chinese phones but OP 10R just got a price reduction (35k now), albeit it's a rebranded realme gt neo 3, it's guaranteed 3+1 years of software updates.

If your other option is to wait for iphone 12 prices to reduce, I'd say keep an eye on Galaxy S21 FE as well. If you're inclined towards android that is.

Fair concerns, especially for a brand that is just entering the market and is yet to establish itself. Not to mention it looks like it'll be pretty hard to get your hands on one atm. I know you mentioned no Chinese phones but OP 10R just got a price reduction (35k now), albeit it's a rebranded realme gt neo 3, it's guaranteed 3+1 years of software updates.

If your other option is to wait for iphone 12 prices to reduce, I'd say keep an eye on Galaxy S21 FE as well. If you're inclined towards android that is.
Is the s21 fe as good of a phone as s20 fe? I’ve heard the exynos chipset makes it a worse phone

Is the s21 fe as good of a phone as s20 fe? I’ve heard the exynos chipset makes it a worse phone
Imo ppl overblow the exynos part. Head to head against a comparable snapdragon (SD888), exynos is inferior, yes. But in this case, you're comparing it with a previous generation SD (two if you count SD870), and exynos 2100 is better in every aspect. Frankly, the average user would see no difference between them both anyway, it's all just numbers on a benchmark.

Buuut, the S20 FE is 2 years old at this point and Android 13 would be its last OS update, so I wouldn't recommend it. The hardware on S21 FE imo should easily last you 5 years and Samsung is promising just as long software support as well, I'd say it's a no-brainer at that point. Take a look at A73 too. It has an SD778 and the same software support goodness samsung is promising. But it is a midranger and you'd be losing some premium features and the oomph that comes with flagships.

Imo ppl overblow the exynos part. Head to head against a comparable snapdragon (SD888), exynos is inferior, yes. But in this case, you're comparing it with a previous generation SD (two if you count SD870), and exynos 2100 is better in every aspect. Frankly, the average user would see no difference between them both anyway, it's all just numbers on a benchmark.

Buuut, the S20 FE is 2 years old at this point and Android 13 would be its last OS update, so I wouldn't recommend it. The hardware on S21 FE imo should easily last you 5 years and Samsung is promising just as long software support as well, I'd say it's a no-brainer at that point. Take a look at A73 too. It has an SD778 and the same software support goodness samsung is promising. But it is a midranger and you'd be losing some premium features and the oomph that comes with flagships.
While I do agree with performance part, exynos based on my understanding has terrible power management leading to poor battery life. Other than that nothing seems to be an issue.

I would recommend increase your budget and get pixel 6a (60 fps screen refresh major con) / motorola edge 30 or wait asus zenfone 9 it could be costly but it is worth it . i also had similar requirements .Went with poco f4 and plan on to root the phone with any of the custom rom .Nothing phone seems promising wait for third batch if they are able to improve their QC .The first batch had multiple issues they might be able to fix it by third batch and could that be a good proposition .

New phones are indeed very good if you take care of them only problem that they will have is its battery will go bad .So i have decided that i will change the battery of phone by the end of second year or beginning of third year

I would recommend increase your budget and get pixel 6a (60 fps screen refresh major con) / motorola edge 30 or wait asus zenfone 9 it could be costly but it is worth it . i also had similar requirements .Went with poco f4 and plan on to root the phone with any of the custom rom .Nothing phone seems promising wait for third batch if they are able to improve their QC .The first batch had multiple issues they might be able to fix it by third batch and could that be a good proposition .

New phones are indeed very good if you take care of them only problem that they will have is its battery will go bad .So i have decided that i will change the battery of phone by the end of second year or beginning of third year
6a is again a terrible terrible phone. Grossly overpriced and no reviewer has anything positive to say about it. Non existent pixel support in India also.
zenfone is indeed an awesome phone, but it’s double the budget.
At this point, only an iPhone 12 at 39999 could be a great deal.

iphone 12 at that price is still a good phone if one is not into spec business high refresh rate And is ready to live with apple shenanigan's .W.R.t to pixel atleast in india one should consider that you are buying a software package for 4 years and along with it you get a hardware which has half baked warranty for a year , but i think they will improve

In this price segment A53 is great deal
If you can wait for nothing phone and it suits your style then this is also a good one according to specs

6a is again a terrible terrible phone. Grossly overpriced and no reviewer has anything positive to say about it. Non existent pixel support in India also.
zenfone is indeed an awesome phone, but it’s double the budget.
At this point, only an iPhone 12 at 39999 could be a great deal.
But iphone 12 current price is 51k with card offers?

Back