Look, I've got the GOLD

Hi Guys,

I've bought this thing even after some no no recommendation from some TE'tians. I know the title is somewhat misleading, but I like it that way. :eek:hyeah:

ok, so I've bought a VIP Gold 500 W SMPS. These are pics:

4193471682_c8c84db66a_o.jpg

4192715673_1083bbc3d4_o.jpg

4192715803_ee655be9be_o.jpg

Yes, its all Gold, I mean in color :rofl: Comes with 3 years warranty, it has a HUGE fan, which points directly to motherboard. And at the backside it just has a power socket. It has 70 % efficiency as per the website and is really very heavy, compared to my generic PSU. And ofcourse it has a PCIE power connector also. And 4 sata power connectors.

Just one doubt, previously I was just using 24 pins power socket + 4 pins (which are near proccy), and there was a space for one more 4 pins cable. So my old PSU didn't had that. But this one has another 4 pins power cable also, now total is 24 + 4 + 4 . Am I doing right ? Just dont want to start a new thread for such a small doubt.

@Sudarshan_SMD

Yes, TVS Gold keyboard is also very good. If someone has to type a lot then TVS Gold is best for him.

@all,

Thank u all. I think this is really a very good VFM power supply, Now I'll insert a Graphics card, & will see the performance.

Congrats!! This killed 3 HDDs of mine and 2 GPUs.

Now it's your turn. This PSU is great. It teaches you valuable lessons. If you are a good student, during your next upgrade, you will first keep aside money for a good PSU and then think of the other components.

Edit: I think mine was Powersafe, but these generic brands are all the same worthless $#!t.

^Shites this made my day:

This PSU is great. It teaches you valuable lessons. If you are a good student, during your next upgrade, you will first keep aside money for a good PSU and then think of the other components.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You've no clue about this place Nikhil. TBH I'm surprised the OP could actually buy this power supply locally. When I enquired the local computer shops for an entry level PSU for my Atom based NAS, I could find nothing but those no-name generic ones. Although this generic brand is less of a generic than the real generic ones. :p

I remember the caps inside Sorcy's Powersafe 400W melted and he did post a pic of it here.

I wish the OP could've invested in the Gigabyte 460W instead. Nevermind. . .

Well VIP Gold is not so bad for using in a low end gaming pc, yeah but for high end definetely go for a Corsair or a better PSU.

Nikhil said:
Congrats!! This killed 3 HDDs of mine and 2 GPUs.

Now it's your turn. This PSU is great. It teaches you valuable lessons. If you are a good student, during your next upgrade, you will first keep aside money for a good PSU and then think of the other components.

Edit: I think mine was Powersafe, but these generic brands are all the same worthless $#!t.

Huh u passed that psu to me:huh:..I didnt burn nything n luckily the new owner hasnt either:p

Congoz to OP

WingZero said:
Huh u passed that psu to me:huh:..I didnt burn nything n luckily the new owner hasnt either:p
Congoz to OP

No re.... not that. Another one being used in a different computer. Finally I took it apart, took apart the capacitors, etc... and then threw it in the trash.

Saqib, what's the rating on the 12v rail?

Can you please give a pic of the full sticker? :)

The previous stocks of Powersafe 400/500 Gold were L&C oem- one wouldn't find a VIP label on it.

Very early 500W ones were 20-22A on 12v iirc and later ones were dual rails of '14A and 15A' or '15A and 16A' iirc.

They were pretty OK for most entry-level rigs of that time when not many had a gpu requiring a 6-pin PCIE connector from the psu and used judiciously have served many well. :)

Gannu said:
I remember the caps inside Sorcy's Powersafe 400W melted and he did post a pic of it here.

Sorcy was just plain lucky his psu didn't kill much of his rig. :)

And he was lucky enough to get good prices for everything (dead/working) anwyays. :p

Honestly, in his case, the fault wasn't of the psu imho.

One shouldn't use a 4-5 years old single rail 400W psu with just 17/20 amps on the single 12v rail for newer, much more demanding hardware.

Plus those who live nearer to the sea do see faster and major degradation of their electronic stuff. :)

So if someone managed to use a 1400/- bucks psu for 4-5 years, it was way over it's practical lifetime anyways and trying to use it anymore was like trying to time-bomb one's rig. :p

BIKeINSTEIN said:
And he was lucky enough to get good prices for everything (dead/working) anwyays. :p

I was even more luckier on the board remember? :bleh:

Damn, I thought someone got ocz gold 6GB ddr3 kits maybe 1600+mhz >_>.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Saqib, what's the rating on the 12v rail?
Can you please give a pic of the full sticker? :)

+12V = 18 A +18 A. And then its written 216W + 261W.
And I can provide the pic but u wont be able to read a single line because of this damn VGA camera in the mobile. And I m not good at taking photos :)

Back