Looking for a cheap phone: 4-5k budget

spindoctor

Skilled
Hey guys

So I'm looking to buy a cheap phone in the 4-5k range approximately. Filling out the template from the sticky -

1. Q: Budget?

A: 4-5k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: No preference

3. Q: Preferred display type?

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Preferably brands like Nokia, Samsung, Sony etc. Would prefer to avoid Karbonn, Micromax and those kinds of brands.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: At least a 2MP camera would be nice.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: No hard and fast preference. 3G would be nice but at this price point, who knows if it's possible without compromises.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Calls, texting, radio, taking photographs of heavy machinery (i.e. not very high resolution images required), basic internet browsing (email etc)

10. Q: Any other requirements?

A: Somewhat sober looking phone. Preferably a solid, base colored body. Multi colored body is fine but no rubbish orange with silver streaks or that kind of stuff. It will be used by my dad, not a 13 year old who likes flashy colors :p

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

Had a look at a few -

Sony Ericsson Cedar

Nokia C2-01

Samsung chat 335 S3353

Nokia X2-01

Samsung Champ C3303

As you can see, I don't have very particular requirements for the phone. My dad is going to use it, and his priority above all is the price. He just doesn't want to spend more than 5k or so.

All the features are negotiable. He does take photographs of stuff at work so a decent camera would be nice, but he's making do with a 2MP camera right now and I don't think he wants/needs more. Obviously a higher resolution camera would be good but it's not a specific requirement. Heck, he's even willing to settle for less, but I don't think he understands just how bad image quality will be if he settles for a 'VGA camera' that we've been seeing in some of the models we look at.

Other than that, an FM radio would be preferable to listen to while he commutes. I think this is standard for all phones now anyway.

Internet access is something he doesn't currently use on his phone, but he is interested in starting. I'd probably go for basic Vodafone GPRS but it would be nice if the phone could have 3G support as well. 3G isn't a priority though. I'm not sure how useful a QWERTY keyboard would be for him but I feel it would be easier than a touchscreen? Not sure about this, your inputs will be appreciated. Odds are I'd just put a bookmark for his mailbox on the phone and that's it.

Big screen, bright colors, large text size, big buttons etc. would be more preferable to him than the 100 other features younger folks like us look for in a phone.

I've been going through some recommendations on this forum and others and frankly, you can get lost in the number of options available in mobile phones these days. I've listed a few that we found interesting, so I'd appreciate any feedback on these particular models. But we're not limited to them at all... if you guys can suggest anything else, we would definitely be willing to look at them.

Thanks guys

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. I should point out though, dual sim is a wasted feature for us. Actually, to be more precise, GSM+GSM is a waste. GSM+CDMA would be quite handy but I think there are only a handful of models which support that, and basically none in our consideration.

i wud suggest nokia 2700 , cheap and beat at 4k and ur dad wil love its simple easy to use menu , large keypad , large display , it has 2 mp cam , ur dad wont use all features i guess like 3g or wifi if present in other models ,

eBay India: NEW NOKIA 2700 CLASSIC MOBILE+BILL + 1 YEAR WARRANTY (item 280641263152 end time 15-Mar-2011 20:02:01 IST)

nokia c2-01 is also good choice , looks good as well , http://cgi.ebay.in/BRAND-NEW-NOKIA-...32720?pt=IN_Mobile_Phones&hash=item43a579d090

based on nokia c5 platform i guess with same silver lining all around ,

i wud stick to buying either of these 2 ,i love nokia up till this price point of 4-5k , and stay away from samsung, moto , SE :p

spindoctor said:
Thanks for your posts guys, your advice is much appreciated. However, there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus so far :p
There will almost never be a consensus on any tech forum... :lol:

People can only suggest the things that they find worth... YOU have to choose the one that you find the most appealing.

:)

Yea I guess there was always the chance that won't be a consensus :p

I guess I was just hoping that there would be a very obvious choice that a lot of people would recommend. Like for example, a few months ago when the Samsung Wave came out. It was almost literally the single best phone in the 15-22k price range and it seemed like it was recommended by everyone in every thread asking for phones in that range.

For the record, we are currently considering the Motorola Ex115 and the Samsung S3353. And maybe the Nokia C2-01. 3G is nice but like someone mentioned, it will probably be crazy expensive in the beginning (although my dad's phone bill is paid by his company so... :p). Speaking of 3G prices, what are they currently anyway? I had a look at the Vodafone website and I can't find a single link to an actual plan which tells us how much it will cost.

I'm still open to more suggestions though. There's no rush to get it, and my dad is out of station for the next 3 days so I have lots of time to think about the issue.

My dad has gotten the impression that the Sony phone is more of a music/multimedia thing so he has kind of lost interest in that.

Another friend recommended a phone to me today... the Nokia C3. It's about 800 bucks more than our budget of 5k, but it is a Nokia and my dad has been using Nokia for the last 4 years so I'm sure he'd appreciate the familiarity. Does anyone have any experience with this phone? If it's good, I wouldn't mind getting it.

So the choices I've kind of narrowed it down so far to are -

Motorola EX115

Nokia C3

Samsung Chat 335 S3353

Which of these would be the best choice? :)

edit - I'd like to stress that I am completely open to more suggestions as well at this point. Not at all limited to these 3.

spindoctor said:
My dad has gotten the impression that the Sony phone is more of a music/multimedia thing so he has kind of lost interest in that.

Another friend recommended a phone to me today... the Nokia C3. It's about 800 bucks more than our budget of 5k, but it is a Nokia and my dad has been using Nokia for the last 4 years so I'm sure he'd appreciate the familiarity. Does anyone have any experience with this phone? If it's good, I wouldn't mind getting it.

So the choices I've kind of narrowed it down so far to are -

Motorola EX115

Nokia C3

Samsung Chat 335 S3353

Which of these would be the best choice? :)
I would suggest the Nokia C3. Stay away from Moto low end ones. Not a great n/w in India.

Nokia C3 keypad seems to be much more comfy than the Sammy according to reviews. But wait for users to comment.

Nokia C3 - Full phone specifications

Nokia C3 review: SNS love - GSMArena.com

Nokia C3 Review - Phone Arena

Hey guys

Just thought I'd update this thread one last time. We finally got a chance to go to a store to check out our shortlisted models in person and after a couple of days of deliberation, my dad decided that he would go for the Nokia C3. It was a bit more expensive than he wanted but he's familiar with Nokia and it's a trusted brand for him, so we paid the small premium. I've had a chance to play around with the phone for a while and it seems like a good choice.

4Xn3m.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your help. It was much appreciated :)

Back