Budget 21-30k Looking for a mid- level gaming pc for my son

My son has turned 13 and as his mom I have promised him a gaming PC. He wants the sky but I cannot afford more than 30K. After much negotiation we have sort of settled on the specs below. I am not a techie and have minimal knowledge about the products. We stay in Thane, outskirts of Mumbai but can pick up stuff at lamington Rd easily if prices are much better
however I need the pice assembled as I have no idea how to do it and dont want to mess it up. Pls pls help.
give us advice about the best confugration within the price limit and also suggestions about who we can approch to buy and then assemble it (could be different people)

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • none
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • none
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i3 3220
    • Motherboard - MSI - B75MA-P45
    • GPU - Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR3
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB
    • Monitor - Dell /samsung /LG
    • SMPS - 430W Corsair CX430
    • Case NZXT Source 210
    • Additional Memory - 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
    • PSU - Cooler Master Thunder 500W 500 Watts
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • final confugration
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • none
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4
    • Racing - Grid at medium to high settings
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1280x728
    2. Desktop - 1440x900
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 ultimate

Wow is this Ms Shalini (TE has a Lady - at last on it's forum :happy: ). Welcome & wishing you a pleasant experience.

A few suggestions
1] Drop MSI brand completely - they have closed shop in India. See the discussion here.
2] Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M D3H - Available here Rs 3999
3] RAM : If possible install a minimum of 8GB (4GB x 2 sticks) Rs 4500 - this will vastly improve performance. You wish to install Windows 7 Ultimate (professional will do the same without occupying/taking up more resources)
4] PSU/SMPS: Go for Seasonic S12II 520W (Rs 4400) or Corsair CX500 V2 (Rs 3400) instead of Cooler master
5] CABINET: Add 2 x 120mm fans for the front side (the NZXT Source 210 Elite comes with only 2 fans - one at the Top & the other at the rear) - this will help overall in keeping the system cool. Rs 2900 + 2 fans Rs 500 (Total Rs 3400)

Sapphire HD 6670 GPU - Rs 4909 on Flipkart (should be cheaper at prime)
Intel i3-3220 - Rs 7150
HDD - 1TB Seagate Rs 3869

All this adds up to Rs 31227 & the Monitor is still left out (I took all lower prices - even where options were mentioned) o_O

Sourcing all your components and Assembling them too can be done at primeabgb - this is a reputed, reliable & credible place. Also bear in mind that not everything that is finalised here (brand/model no may be listed online), however these are common components and will be available. You could also send them an email (swapnil) to confirm.

Lastly, see if you could squeeze in an Full HD monitor in your budget (samsung, dell or lg). Your son will grow up fast & his expectations too :drowning:. I personally think that this system should take care of most of your needs for the next 3-5 years. You can if you wish add a few components later - an SSD drive; additional storage (HDD's) etc.

Cheers
Terry[DOUBLEPOST=1366019701][/DOUBLEPOST]Querry to TE @Crazy_Eddy; @cranky et al

Would the stock heat spreader of the i3-3220 be sufficient? But Intel has'nt done a good job with its heat spreaders (HSF). So to better protect the processor & assure longevity - should she go in for CM Hyper 212 Evo (cheapest & best solution) for 2.1k or Antec Air Cooler Series A40 for 1.4k

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to cut down on costs - without compromising on "quality or performance"

SMPS - Go for Antec VP450 ~ Rs 2600
RAM - Go for a single stick 4GB (make sure it's 1600MHz) ~ Rs 2300 ........ you can add another 4GB a couple of months later.

Have you considered AMD as an option ? @shaliniamar
the A10-5800K ~ Rs 8514 + ASRock Motherboard FM2-A55M-DGS ~ Rs 4252
Using the above - you will not need to spend on a separate graphics card as the AMD trinity processor's build in HD 7660D is fantastic.

Try bumping up your budget a bit to 36k.

CPU: Intel G2010 - 3300 -> Should be only a 10% performance drop for half the price of an i3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - 4200
RAM: Corsair 4GB Value - 1900

Hard drive: WD Blue 500GB - 3200
DVD drive: (Asus) - 1000

GPU: Sapphire 7750 - 7000 -> roughly 25% better than the 6670 for just 1k more
Monitor: AOC i2251FWE - 8300 -> IPS panel, much better colours and viewing angles

Cabinet: NZXT Source 210 - 2900
PSU/SMPS: Seasonic S12II 430 - 3400 -> the cheapest well built PSU around

Logitech Keyboard + Mouse - 700

Total = 35900
+ Another 1k for speakers?

Would the stock heat spreader of the i3-3220 be sufficient? But Intel has'nt done a good job with its heat spreaders (HSF). So to better protect the processor & assure longevity - should she go in for CM Hyper 212 Evo (cheapest & best solution) for 2.1k or Antec Air Cooler Series A40 for 1.4k
Not necessary, the Tjmax is a pretty high 105C. So even if it runs a little hotter it should be well within the safety margin even with a stock cooler.

Thank you everyone for such wonderful suggestions. I am a "Lady", and have been following techenclave for last 2 months. Infact I purchased a nexus 4 via this forum too...love the phone.
Will update this thread once the purchase is made.
Thanks again you have made my job much easier

Try bumping up your budget a bit to 36k.

CPU: Intel G2010 - 3300 -> Should be only a 10% performance drop for half the price of an i3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - 4200 [ actually 3999 ~ prime ]
RAM: Corsair 4GB Value - 1900

Hard drive: WD Blue 500GB - 3200 [ add another Rs 600 & you can get 1 TB Seagate -7200 RPM ]
DVD drive: (Asus) - 1000

GPU: Sapphire 7750 - 7000 -> roughly 25% better than the 6670 for just 1k more
Monitor: AOC i2251FWE - 8300 -> IPS panel, much better colours and viewing angles
.............. [Great suggestions]

Cabinet: NZXT Source 210 - 2900
PSU/SMPS: Seasonic S12II 430 - 3400 -> the cheapest well built PSU around

Logitech Keyboard + Mouse - 700

Total = 35900
+ Another 1k for speakers?

Very good suggestions (especially the GPU & Monitor ), I really wish OP could have accomodated the i3-3220 (as this has better future proof potential). But it's had to squeeze everything. So the G2010 in combination with 7750 is a very good choice.

Thank you everyone for such wonderful suggestions. I am a "Lady", and have been following techenclave for last 2 months. Infact I purchased a nexus 4 via this forum too...love the phone.
Will update this thread once the purchase is made.
Thanks again you have made my job much easier

Whoa, whoa just wait Milady ...... I just thought of something. Yikes she is gonna :banghead: and bash me up :dead:

As you are staying at Thane you must be having MSEB power supply. You might just need a UPS too (Uninterrupted Power Supply cum Voltage Stabiliser/Surge protector). Do you also have load shedding & voltage fluctuations ?

You could meanwhile check with your friends (neighbours) as to how many of them are using a UPS for a desktop system.

Cheers
Terry

have to agree with getting a ups. apc 650va back ups is a good choice for safely shutting down the pc. its around 3k i guess. but you can save up money and get the ups after 4-6 months, if there are no sudden power blackouts in your area. if there are blackouts, then, getting a ups is recommended, since without ups, the comp will shut off immediately and there is chance of failure of any of the components inside the pc - hdd, mobo , psu. hdd's usually fail first in such scenarios.

assembling a pc is no big deal. its like putting together pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. all the slots are perfectly cut and have been made to fit in exact places. you can't make them fit in any other slot or upsidedown if wanted to. if you buy all components from same shop like prime or anyone else like itwares, they could assemble it for you for a few rupees more.

Just came across this video on youtube ...... @shaliniamar methinks you and your son ought to watch it [It will generate a new kind of love & better understanding about the insides of a PC].

TigerDirect TV: Girls Guide To Computing - Build A PC

Enjoy

@Crazy_Eddy
The AOC monitor is new suggestion on TE. I want to know more about this monitor ,please point me on some info .

BTW the suggestion you made is quite commendable for given price range:angelic:.

@Crazy_Eddy
The AOC monitor is new suggestion on TE. I want to know more about this monitor ,please point me on some info .

BTW the suggestion you made is quite commendable for given price range:angelic:.

I personally have'nt checked the tech reports ........ BUT THAT REALLY DOES NOT MATTER.

WHAT'S IMPORTANT IS THAT
- it an IPS panel
- It's full HD
- Price is superb

@Crazy_Eddy

http://www.aocindia.com/product.php?product_id=22&type=monitor . I thought the i2251 was reviewed by 6pack here, but its the slightly bigger i2353 reviewed. The only concern was the 14ms GTG times for gaming, but reviews on flipkart say they don't notice any ghosting in games, so should be fine.

There's also the Dell S2240L for ~9.5k which apparently isn't using 6-bit e-IPS but a full 8-bit AH-IPS panel. Only downside is the panel has a glossy finish.

Just a different thought. Is it only games that you intend to play on this PC or you would like to do some thing else also?
In case if it is just games, then i feel a console would be better option.

Back