Less than 10K Looking for a phone under 10k

aahigayeham

Disciple
Hi, I am looking for a phone under 10k for my grandparents so they could video chat with their children. I've been out of touch with this price segment for some time now so could use some suggestions. I am also open to second hand purchases.

Thank you!

Stay away from Nokia...
You don't have to trust my word, head over to Nokia discussion. The forums speaks for itself.
Personally using Nokia 7+, fortune to have an issue free phone. It's like 90/100 phones will be defective and Nokia is plagued with poor after sales service.

Stay away from Nokia...
You don't have to trust my word, head over to Nokia discussion. The forums speaks for itself.
Personally using Nokia 7+, fortune to have an issue free phone. It's like 90/100 phones will be defective and Nokia is plagued with poor after sales service.
Oh damn. I was genuinely considering buying a nokia since someone in the family had it. They personally faced some problems too. Thank you!

Dude every companies forums are full of complaints! Go to MS forums and it will feel like windows is unusable. I have bought 3 nokias - 6.1 , 5.1 plus and 2.1 . All working perfectly. 5.1 plus and 6.1 give me 3 days battery at low usage.
Android One is one of the most underrated things in tech. Using supported hardware, using approved tested drivers and no extra bugs of extra UI layers is going to have a better chance of a better experience IMO. Buying non android one is like buying a xiaomi laptop that has a modified windows UI, cheapest hardware selected by xiaomi and using closed drivers installed and tested only by xiaomi.

Besides people can't differentiate between phone issues and bad application issues that lead to slow phone > heat > battery over. This could be a a driver, the OS, malware, brand specific UI layers, brand application or anything from the playstore.

Dude every companies forums are full of complaints! Go to MS forums and it will feel like windows is unusable. I have bought 3 nokias - 6.1 , 5.1 plus and 2.1 . All working perfectly. 5.1 plus and 6.1 give me 3 days battery at low usage.
Android One is one of the most underrated things in tech. Using supported hardware, using approved tested drivers and no extra bugs of extra UI layers is going to have a better chance of a better experience IMO. Buying non android one is like buying a xiaomi laptop that has a modified windows UI, cheapest hardware selected by xiaomi and using closed drivers installed and tested only by xiaomi.

Besides people can't differentiate between phone issues and bad application issues that lead to slow phone > heat > battery over. This could be a a driver, the OS, malware, brand specific UI layers, brand application or anything from the playstore.

When 1 user using a HMd model makes a complaint about system issue, it's understandable. When 5 users using same model makes a complaint, it would be still acceptable. When 9 users raise issue, then it's an alarm. While other forums mention bothe problems and solutions, Nokia forum mentions only problem. Even the mods admit there are problems and HMD needs to address it.
I must say you are lucky with all 3 devices working for you. But on this forum itself, we have 2 users using same model(7+), one works fine, other is discarded due to Nokia's inability to repair for lack of spares. Even my friends having 7+ and 6.1 plus have charging issues, charging ports being damaged, no replacement available at Nokia care. And they were premium devices(7+, still poor support).

And no, I am not talking about a specific model, it's pan Nokia. While I agree, a rogue app might cause a phone to malfunction, but after factory reset the issue persists.

You mentioned supported hardware.. I hope you are aware how "Evenwell" botched it's hardware so badly that users face with screen flickering, proximity sensor non functioning. There is not even camera support bas Nokia has ended it's tie up with Evenwell. Point is users should not be victim of a phone manufacturers wrong policy.
You make mention of tested drivers.. HMD inability to update it's Aosp base resulted in botched implementation of Android 10. And after 6 months, they have still not solved the persisting issue. Besides fast updates doesn't mean good updates. It had lead to poor QA, loose testing.. again no one has to believe me. Please go through threads of respective models. You will see a pattern of problems which is common to all devices.

While I agree, Android one is a great programme. Pure vanilla runs smooth even with 4 GB ram. But issues like these destroy the Android experience.

If anyone wants to go for Android One phone. I would suggest going for Motorola fusion+. It's a bit on higher sid, 17k, but it's stock Android and minimal bloatware(only some Moto apps). It has 6gb which has you covered for a good time plus regular security updates.

Again, I would never suggest Xiaomi devices. Not because it's Chinese but it's ads are very shady promoting adult stuff and soft p0rn.

As I mentioned earlier, my post is to make users aware of the problems faced with a particular company so that they don't feel cheated the way we did. User experience may vary.

Do mention which phone you end up purchasing @OP.

Thanks folks. I personally bought a motorola one fusion +. Been loving it so far.
I went with Motorola G8 lite for my grandparents. It is yet to be delivered. Let me know if you'd like to know my thoughts on it.
Congrats ..
It's an amazing phone man... Near stock Android, good camera. I hope they Didn't cut corners which would lead to problems later on. Do treat the front cam with tender, it's mechanical after all.
Do post your review...

If you are not concern about the brands and if you want a good mobile phone then you can go for Realme 5 because it comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 and
Rear Camera: 12MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP, Front Camera: 13MP. As you told you that want for your grandparents, so this phone is good for them.

Back