Budget 51-70k Looking for a ultrabook under 60k

vikundefined

Disciple
I am looking for a ultraportable laptop under 60k. I will be using it for casual use and sometime autocad. I really like the macbook air but i dont like the apple os to much, i know i can install win8 on it but i wanna know is it worth it or not. Also wanna know what portable windows laptop i can get in this range.
Hd space is not a problem because i have desktop at home but it should have a backlit keyboard.
Thanks

I wouldn't use MBA with Windows. No fun :oops:

Why do you say that?
I used my MBA only on Windows. I didn't have the time nor the inclination to learn how to get the same productivity out of MacOS that I got out of Windows.

@OP - If HDD space is not an issue then MBA is the best ultraportable out there for you. Just install Windows and you will be all good. I had in fact removed all traces of MacOS as that gave me more space on the HDD.

Windows runs fine, but unless you are NOT getting same configuration in same price range I don't see any point in going for MBP

Windows runs fine, but unless you are NOT getting same configuration in same price range I don't see any point in going for MBP

He is asking about MBA which is significantly cheaper than MBP and there isn't a single ultrportable out there which can match the MBA in price/specs/portability.

Why do you say that?
I used my MBA only on Windows. I didn't have the time nor the inclination to learn how to get the same productivity out of MacOS that I got out of Windows.

@OP - If HDD space is not an issue then MBA is the best ultraportable out there for you. Just install Windows and you will be all good. I had in fact removed all traces of MacOS as that gave me more space on the HDD.

Thanks for replying guys. Actually right now i am using my friend's lenovo y400, earlier i thought its a very cool laptop and i liked it very much but after using it more than a week i got no know that gaming on laptop is not my thing. All i did on it was browsing, watching movie and random stuff, and this is why i want a portable laptop.

1) I want to know how reliable windows is on mac, i will be keeping all my important stuff on desktop but still wanna know.
2) how is the thermal performace of mba, y400 heats quite a bit under normal usage and i didnt felt comfortable using it on my lap.
3) how is the software compatibility if install win 8. Do all software work properly?
4) storage is not a problem

although i have never used mac, ive seen people who have used it swear by it and completely ditching windows. what is your reason for "not liking" mac os. if it has something to do with productivity, its fine. but if its reluctance to learn a new os, that might just he the reason to try it more, exploring a brand new os

Get Macbook Air. I have used it for couple of years; though older model but experience is amazing. For few months, I had planned to get Mac mini for replacement of my desktop. However it did not materialise. On portability aspect also MBA is amazing. I could easily carry it around 3-4 days/week in Mumbai local trains during peak hour, which was most important aspect for me. I would say try Mac OS, though it has its own share of cons, you will get accomplished to it soon.

And yeah touchpad, gesture based touchpad is awesome experience.

although i have never used mac, ive seen people who have used it swear by it and completely ditching windows. what is your reason for "not liking" mac os. if it has something to do with productivity, its fine. but if its reluctance to learn a new os, that might just he the reason to try it more, exploring a brand new os
I am not reluctant to learn new os. I am a iphone user so that way i should have no problem with the mac os. But its just windows is so simple and i have been using it for so long.

I am not reluctant to learn new os. I am a iphone user so that way i should have no problem with the mac os. But its just windows is so simple and i have been using it for so long.
If i were u , i would get the macbook air cuz of the enormous battery life that no other laptop can give. Plus the battery deterioration is least in macbooks compared to windows lappies. I have gone through threads in macrumors forums where even after 2 years , there is just 20% battery life degradation. Also, everyone raves about how better mac os is with respect to stability and smoothness. Finally, i think it would be fun to learn a new os.

I have said it time and again that MBA is the best ultrportable out there even if you want to run Windows. If you want to use Mac OS that's your choice but you can also use Windows on it just like any other normal laptop. You will get around 8+ hrs of battery life in Windows with ease.

For my own usage, I have looked through all the ultraportables out there.

1. Thinkpad X1 Carbon
  2. Microsoft Surface pro 3
  3. Acer Aspire S7
  4. Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus
  5. Samsung Ative Book 9 Lite

These are some of the best ones aprt from the MBA.

Back