Looking for some online coding classes

There's enough free content on Youtube, tbh. For eg., Freecodecamp. There's also free content on sites such as Scrimba, Team Treehouse, Frontend Masters etc.

Since he's just 14, he can dabble in whatever piques his interest & see if he enjoys it enough. Classes can come later once he decides that he wants to pursue it as a career.

Just my 2 cents.

I think the community can help with specifics. But the OP needs to give more details.

But at this stage, the way OP's question is framed, it's either one of 2 situations. The kid is him/herself keen to learn, or it's the OP wanting the kid to learn whatever's trending currently. I assumed it's the latter. So an entire course might seem like a burden.

Fun fact- Few years back, my nephew asked me, 'What is coding/programming?' He was in 10-11th grade. I explained things as best as I could. (I'm not a software/web dev, btw). But then, I actually learnt a bit of html off of Youtube & sat him down with me, & built a basic page with him. To essentially show him that it involves a bunch of text behind the scenes. I chose building a web page because that's the most WYSWYG kinda thing I knew.

At the time, the kid did not show any interest at all. Never touched coding for years. Today, he's joined someplace as a web dev. Go figure!

So I feel it's an age where kids should probably be allowed to explore various avenues, without shackling them to one thing.

Of course, my assumptions may be wrong, :) . In that case, none of the above applies.

Thanks for all your help guys..Not sure if he loves coding but he use to make simple programs with adreno i had got him sometime back. I am not pushing much but I feel an early start would make him more interested in coding eventually shaping his career. Of course I am not being pushy its his choice after all.
These days it seems coders are the best paid folk in IT industry.

Thanks for all your help guys..Not sure if he loves coding but he use to make simple programs with adreno i had got him sometime back. I am not pushing much but I feel an early start would make him more interested in coding eventually shaping his career. Of course I am not being pushy its his choice after all.
These days it seems coders are the best paid folk in IT industry.
Hey, it's great that the kid is wanting to learn & you are just facilitating exploration. Unfortunately, I'm not a tech guy myself, so unsure what would be a good, fun transition from Arduino. (Think your 'Adreno' was a typo?). Ideally, you'd want something that appeals to him while also giving some exposure to what real-world programming could be like.

There's online courses galore, if you want something that's self-paced & where it is up to one's discipline to complete the course. For eg, Youtube, Udemy, Harvard's & Google's courses on Edx, Coursera etc, But if you want some course where there's streamed weekly classes & assignments given & has a peer group sort of setup, I'm not sure what would be the right one. (There's plenty there as well. But are they good for a teen &/or simply a moneygrab?)

Also, what area do you want to pick? For eg, there's web development, software development, ML/AI etc. What would be fun? (There's something like tensorflow that seems like the projects could be fun for a teen, based on this video) -

Tbh, I'm not the right person to be even talking about this, as I have very limited info, & am myself trying to look at a career between web dev & 3d animation/vfx. So I'll just tag some folks on TE that seem to be in a related field. Hope they can provide better insights - @greenhorn @nRiTeCh @mathrisk

On a side note, as far as pay is concerned, it seems to be all over the place. (Based on this) - So just do your research well, if the kid likes programming & is keen on pursuing this as a career later.

HTH.

Last edited:
Back