Looking to buy a 1tb NVME drive, suggestions?

DentFuse

Disciple
Hello all,

I'm building a system and I'm looking for a affordable but good 1tb nvme drive within or around 6k. I've got a Gen4 socket on my mobo but that'll probably be too expensive and won't be of much use to me either. Most of the drives at this range either do not have DRAM or have very low TDW. I know my budget is tight, and I can't have all the features, so if you were in my place, which drive would you go for?

Thanks!

Thanks, but I've already gone through the listing in Classified and Dealer's Paradise. Was hoping for some recommendation from people if there were any other ones. Also is having DRAM really required?

If you're going to use it as a boot drive, then yes, a DRAM cache is usually highly recommended (depending on your workloads). Though from what I hear SSDs like the Crucial P2 with HMB (Host Memory Buffer) perform acceptably well despite not having DRAM; your PC needs to support it, but I think any relatively modern platform should support it no problem.

As for specific models, I was looking into 1TB models recently, specifically the Silicon Power P34A60 and EVM NV-1TB, so maybe check that out. That said, I was looking for storage, not a boot drive, so keep that in mind.

You may also want to look into getting a smaller 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD - might fit your use case better.

P.S. The LTT forum has an SSD Tier List that's very helpful - it lists a bunch of models and whether they're SLC/TLC/QLC, DRAM/DRAMless, etc.

Just FYI. There is a Reddit user u/NewMaxx (and a sub r/NewMaxx for SSD nerds), who posted an SSD spreadsheet (Tier list/details) and it has now become sort of a go-to resource for consumer SSDs.

Resources for SSD nerds out there

His spreadsheet with filters (regularly updated with correct info DRAM/Flash/Controller/Warranty etc)

In my personal opinion, WD Blue SN 570 (someone here is selling one) and equivalent are good. If you are not flushing raw 4k footage every 5 min, your SLC cache will take care of everything.

DRAM NVMe costs more than DRAM SATA SSD, and I have bought DRAM SATA SSDs over DRAMLess NVMe but I didn't need the extra bandwidth in my case, so do take a look at SATA SSDs if it floats your boat.

Do not buy those cheap Kingston NV1 and SSDs around that price.

Just FYI. There is a Reddit user u/NewMaxx (and a sub r/NewMaxx for SSD nerds), who posted an SSD spreadsheet (Tier list/details) and it has now become sort of a go-to resource for consumer SSDs.

Resources for SSD nerds out there

His spreadsheet with filters (regularly updated with correct info DRAM/Flash/Controller/Warranty etc)

In my personal opinion, WD Blue SN 570 (someone here is selling one) and equivalent are good. If you are not flushing raw 4k footage every 5 min, your SLC cache will take care of everything.

DRAM NVMe costs more than DRAM SATA SSD, and I have bought DRAM SATA SSDs over DRAMLess NVMe but I didn't need the extra bandwidth in my case, so do take a look at SATA SSDs if it floats your boat.

Do not buy those cheap Kingston NV1 and SSDs around that price.
I'd come across this sheet on my research, it honestly really helpful! It didn't have a tier list for the SSDs which was why i posted here. It's still pretty helpful tho.

As for the drive, I already got one from the thread in Dealer's Paradise. Honestly speaking the WD one is also pretty good.

I'd come across this sheet on my research, it honestly really helpful! It didn't have a tier list for the SSDs which was why i posted here. It's still pretty helpful tho.

As for the drive, I already got one from the thread in Dealer's Paradise. Honestly speaking the WD one is also pretty good.

Yeah any mid range SSD does the job unless you have a nieche requirement. Just avoid those bottom of the barrel SSDs those are a pain in the #$$. Btw what exactly did you get, I wanna buy an SSD to dump my games.

Yeah any mid range SSD does the job unless you have a nieche requirement. Just avoid those bottom of the barrel SSDs those are a pain in the #$$. Btw what exactly did you get, I wanna buy an SSD to dump my games.
I got the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb from this post.

Back