Budget 30-40k Looking to get a phone during BBD/GIF sale

OneTapHero

Disciple
  • Budget: Under ₹40k, preferably, with openness to buying new or used (from Techenclave) if it's priced lower than during BBD/GIF sales and includes everything bundled
  • Brand: Leaning towards Samsung S23 or OnePlus (12 or 12R, if near ₹40k) due to preference for rooting and custom ROMs
  • Usage: Primarily for media consumption and productivity, with occasional platformer games and COD Mobile
  • Battery: Needs to last 10 hours outside with at least 5.5 hours screen-on time
  • Longevity: Aiming to use for 3+ years
  • Connectivity: 5G support for Airtel, single SIM is sufficient
  • Storage: At least 128GB ROM, and while a memory card slot is preferred, it's not essential
  • Display: AMOLED, 120Hz.
  • Miscellaneous: Infrared sensor and 3.5mm jack would be a plus, but not deal breakers

Samsung has Knox which voids warranty and renders Samsung Pay/Wallet useless. Should I use the phone for one year and root after warranty ends or get something like the Oneplus 12? Is there any other disadvantage I might get from rooting a Samsung (other than banking apps)

PS: Will there be a better sale than BBD/GIF during Diwali time or are they the same?

Upcoming sale is the best time to buy

I used to root phones a decade ago, but not worth the effort to me now.

S23 256GB is an easy pick IMO. It won't last 5+ hrs SOT on mobile data for sure, but its battery life is good for the size. I negotiated this down to 46k in Poorvika a few months back but later decided to stick with my S20FE 5G & instead upgrade PC's GPU instead :p

I doubt OP12 will be close to 40k.

I used to root phones a decade ago, but not worth the effort to me now.
I could live without root, but a Whatsapp Enhancer module I use needs LSPosed to work. If it wasn't for this, the S23 would have been my go-to. I could carry around a powerbank to compensate the battery issue, but Knox is pain.
I might have to either go with OP12r or lose the WA module

Last edited:
Back