Audio Loudspeaker basics and what to look for

Mostly a nice article but I disagree when they say that running a 4 or 6 ohm speaker can destroy some amplifiers in the long run. All solid state amps will run a 4 or 6 ohm speaker day in day out. How it sounds is a different issue. Tube might have issues.

so an audioengine a5 with sensitivity of 95db/w can churn out a loudness of ~110-112db (95+10log P2/P1,p2=50w,p1=1w) at continuous 45-50w per channel! That's loud! Pretty good guide...

rPOk said:
sorry my bad..I took their SNR no. here...Sensitivity is 88db...so there goes my wrongly assumed extra 7 db :p...

Thats still very good sensitivity, rPOk - from whatever I have read. As I said I am looking forward to your feeback on the Audioengines.

yeah but we shouldn't forget that this is only a measure of loudness (and actual power delivered)...it doesnt say anything abt sound quality...

rPOk said:
yeah but we shouldn't forget that this is only a measure of loudness (and actual power delivered)...it doesnt say anything abt sound quality...

I whole heartedly agree with that.:eek:hyeah:

Any one in Bangalore have the Audioengine 5. I would love to hear them some time.

Back