Audio Low end speakers - Need Suggestions

Ritvik

Adept
Need a pair of low end speakers, budget 5k to 6k (at the most). Will need to pick them up locally (Madras), so if anyone is aware of a store that I can check out that's an added bonus.

Wiggle room of about Rs.500 if its worth the difference. Don't want to spend anymore since this is a temporary solution for about 10-12 months. :)

Will be used with a turntable connected to a Marantz PM5003.

Any suggestions would be of huge help, I know nothing about speakers!

TIA

bennysachdev

Adept
Creative t20/t40 are the best 2 channel speakers I've heard <200$.

Don't be fooled by the Creative tag which is known for el-cheapo speakers. The T40s are compared with the audioengine a2's and some would even say they're better, including me. :)

Ritvik

Adept
Thanks for the options. What benefits/disadvantages would towers have as opposed to book-shelf speakers?

Ritvik

Adept
Almost certainly not :p

But something like the Sony SS-F 5000 and 6000 are priced between 100 and 150 USD. So under 9-10k here if I'm lucky.........just maybe

strategy

Skilled
well in general, tower speakers have better bass due to larger enclosure But require a lot of space. ( obvious)

But some say imaging is sacrificed in tower speakers, so really cant tell

Oh you are in Singapore ! ( :mad: ),you might get a good floorstander at around that price.

Ritvik

Adept
Can't carry them back from here though, already have far too much stuff that people wanted from here. Need these as temp speakers for dad. Will bring a decent set down next time I come home.

Ritvik

Adept
Thanks for the offer, don't know when exactly I'll be back in Chennai though. Like I said, I know nothing about speakers so I completely overlooked the active part :D

What are your thoughts about the speakers in the FS thread?

Edit: What about the Denon sc-f100 that I see on HIFiV, they're in Chennai too?