Low odour interior wall paint

anirudh

Adept
Hi guys,

I want to repaint my room but want low odour as i got respiratory problems and i want it to be done fast.

Suggestions needed...

Oil based paints (oilpaint) which give glossy finish have a very strong odour that takes a minimum of a week to become bearable. Other paints...well, around a week but bearable within 3-4 days. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of knowledge on the subject. I think Acrylic Emulsions are good.

Distemper paint discolours and shows up as dirty looking blotches in some areas within 5-6 months but is cheaper.

Uhh, you would never be using oil based paints on walls ever.

Acrylic Emulsion will be nearly double the price of distemper but its advantage is you can clean stains off it. Its diluted with water and should dry in a few hours after painting. Sand lightly to remove stains prior to painting.

What the OP needs to do is determine whether there was any emulsion applied prior to the wall or whether it was just distemper. If it was distemper then putting distemper on is fine, but if you put emulsion it might peel. Usually if emuslion was on prior you usually only want to put emulsion on after, there is a brand by Asian Paints called Tractor emulsion which is slightly more than distemper but cheaper than premium emulsion.

Another factor is whether you are matching the existing colour otherwise you might need an extra coat :)

Back