Audio M-Audio AV42 studio monitor upgrade ?

tr27

Disciple
JBL Professional 104 Compact Desktop Reference 60 W Bluetooth Studio Monitor (Black, Stereo Channel)

Rs.4999
(before credit card discounts, if any)

This is full paisa vasool imho.
I own it and love it.
JBL Professional 305P MkII Next-Generation 5 2-Way Powered Studio Monitor (305PMKII)(Pair) (Black, 2.0 Channel)
₹7,999 , card discounts additional
I have m-audio av42 studio monitors pair, they are quite old now, do you think I should upgrade to any of these? The price is good but are these upgrade or i should keep mine?

I have m-audio av42 studio monitors pair, they are quite old now, do you think I should upgrade to any of these? The price is good but are these upgrade or i should keep mine?
I don't think you need to upgrade.
You ready have very good one.

These are good for the price and can be considered for someone who have very normal basic monitor speakers.

But someone who already owns a great pair. No need to upgrade.

I don't think you need to upgrade.
You ready have very good one.

These are good for the price and can be considered for someone who have very normal basic monitor speakers.

But someone who already owns a great pair. No need to upgrade.
As an owner of maudio av40, I agree with this for the 305p linked at 8k. However the 308p at 10k is an amazing deal and will likely have significantly better bass response than the maudios with an 8 inch driver

The only disadvantage I can think of is that these only accept balanced inputs. In case you are only using an unbalanced source with your maudios, then upgrading to these will require an additional investment in a balanced dac or audio interface.

Last edited:
As an owner of maudio av40, I agree with this for the 305p linked at 8k. However the 308p at 10k is an amazing deal and will likely have significantly better bass response than the maudios with an 8 inch driver
This sounds convincing, 308p looks like the upgrade
Also brought this for 8k today to add bass : Take a look at this JBL Professional LSR310S 10" Powered Subwoofer 200 W Studio Monitor on Flipkart

It looks like 308p is not going to go oos anytime soon, so I have some time to decide on this.

Also if I get this, any rough idea about how much the m-audio av42 might be able to fetch?

The only disadvantage I can think of is that these only accept balanced inputs. In case you are only using an unbalanced source with your maudios, then upgrading to these will require an additional investment in a balanced dac or audio interface.
Isn't it true?
These 308s don't have RCA inputs. Any vfm workaround do use these speakers without investing in audio interface?

Isn't it true?
These 308s don't have RCA inputs. Any vfm workaround do use these speakers without investing in audio interface?
TBH I'm super confused wether quarter inch TRS is balanced or unbalanced.
@tr27, heads up, I'm not sure if the flipkart listing for the 8 inch is for a single piece or a pair. Even though it says 2.0 channel, it doesn't explicitly say 'pair' like it does for the 5 inch listing.

Isn't it true?
TBH I'm super confused wether quarter inch TRS is balanced or unbalanced.
@tr27, heads up, I'm not sure if the flipkart listing for the 8 inch is for a single piece or a pair. Even though it says 2.0 channel, it doesn't explicitly say 'pair' like it does for the 5 inch listing.
It's balanced, i have scarlet solo with balanced trs out but both of these can be used with unbalanced out as well.
And thanks for the heads up, i will check reviews just in case these are single

These are singles. Monitors usually are.

104 is not a monitor, it's a multimedia speaker. Voicing is very far from flat. I would avoid them (I have a pair for Youtube and other casual listening). They're not bad, just not monitors.

It is mentioned in 305P listing on Flipkart that they are in pair. In 308p, "pair" is not mentioned. Although 2.0 is mentioned in both the listings.

There are multiple review images for both 305p and 308p and atleast one image shows 2 units for both the models.

I couldn't find any mention of single unit in the reviews.

That's what is causing the confusion.

------------

Multiple Q&A on the Flipkart page mentions that it is single unit. The price, too, is more in line with single unit. But why have they specifically mentioned "Pair" in the title of 305p. -_-

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Isn't it true?

Looks like we can use an unbalanced source with these speakers since it lets you switch input sensitivity to -10dbV. So you just need to source an RCA-TRS or 3.5mm stereo jack to TRS cable.

It is mentioned in 305P listing on Flipkart that they are in pair. In 308p, "pair" is not mentioned. Although 2.0 is mentioned in both the listings.

There are multiple review images for both 305p and 308p and atleast one image shows 2 units for both the models.

I couldn't find any mention of single unit in the reviews.

That's what is causing the confusion.

------------

Multiple Q&A on the Flipkart page mentions that it is single unit. The price, too, is more in line with single unit. But why have they specifically mentioned "Pair" in the title of 305p. -_-
Even at that price for the single it's still nearly less than half the market price. The 308p is a steal deal, they retail for 250$ a piece elsewhere!
When in doubt always check the description - what's in the box section, they don't usually mess up there.

Even at that price for the single it's still nearly less than half the market price. The 308p is a steal deal, they retail for 250$ a piece elsewhere!
When in doubt always check the description - what's in the box section, they don't usually mess up there.
Yeah these are expensive. Especially the 308.
But if it's a pair of 305, as mentioned in the listing, the smaller ones would be steal deal.

I checked raj musical and they have listed the same model as "single" and another more expensive as "pair" , the images in the pair are also different.
It's 6k with cards , anyone willing to test this with Flipkart delivery? Maybe just ask the delivery boy to open box it despite this item not being ob.. or reject the delivery based on weight and size

I would have done this but they are not giving me cod

anyone willing to test this with Flipkart delivery? Maybe just ask the delivery boy to open box it despite this item not being ob.. or reject the delivery based on weight and size
Not 100% useful for you, but my brother ordered the 308's last night. Received them just now. As expected these are sold as singles (i.e. he ordered 2 and received 2).

Thanks for clearing that, what's the initial feedback?
All he's said so far is, "they're larger than I expected", lol.

He doesnt have a balanced source atm. He also needs to score a 3.5mm stereo to quarter inch dual mono cables to connect an unbalanced source, so I don't expect to hear any feedback from him any time soon.

Oh wow there's 38 page detailed discussion over this, definitely adding this to my bookmark. Thanks
Oh wow there's 38 page detailed discussion over this, definitely adding this to my bookmark. Thanks.

Back