M.S/M.Tech In Civil Engg. from US/Canada .. Prerequisites & Procedure. Help Please.

Hi Guys,

Completed my B.Tech (Civil) this year and planning for higher studies i.e M.S/M.Tech from either US or Canada. I have secured ~65% in my course.

The academic and educational structure abroad is entirely different from what we have in India, so what i am basically concerned with what are the guidelines for getting enrolled in a foreign university ? I am aware of the fact that i've to appear in for TOEFL/IELTS for language but what about my technical aspects. Do the universities grant admissions on the basis of Indian scores or there's a separate entrance test ? What about the likely cost to be incurred, and i've full plans of returning to India after completion of studies, will getting a decent job be tough or can i expect some good packages upfront ?

Lastly, do i need to hire a consultant or is it manageable by an individual ?

Any amount of help on this would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
BBThumbHealer :)

Hello, you will need to give GRE as well as TOEFL/IELTS exam. To apply for Universities in US and Canada, you will have to submit your academic scores, GRE scores and Ielts or toefl scores (most of the universities accept Toefl)

Regarding fees, Fees varies state and city wise. You can expect $20,000-$40,000 per year. But you can get some concession in form of Teaching Assistance, Research Assistance or In campus job which will suffice your living expenses.

Read more at - www.msinus.com

When are you planning to pursue masters?

@Rahul++, Thanks for the response. I am thinking of getting enrolled early next year. I've got campus recruited and thinking of gaining experience for sometime.

On a scale of 10, how much do GRE & TOEFL score for 'toughness' ? Is my B.Tech aggregate any sort of hindrance in the admission process ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rahul++, Thanks for the response. I am thinking of getting enrolled early next year. I've got campus recruited and thinking of gaining experience for sometime.

On a scale of 10, how much do GRE & TOEFL score for 'toughness' ? Is my B.Tech aggregate any sort of hindrance in the admission process ?

Well, you can apply for Fall 2013 if you want to gain one year experience :)
Well, about toughness, can't really tell that. Quantitative i.e. Maths in GRE is very easy. You can score like 160+ in maths easily. Verbal part is little bit tough and this is where you have to study a lot to score. You can easily get admission for score 300+.

Toefl is very easy compared to GRE imho, it doesn't have quantitative questions. Only verbal part is included in Toefl as well as Ielts.

Your BE score won't be issue in admission process, it is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gannu : Thanks for the link.

Some universities in US e.g University Of California are offering M.S Civil course for 1 year unlike the standard 2 years.. how can i get a list of universities that have this cos when i research the individual websites, the fee structure and the credits are given but not the exact duration in term of semesters/years is mentioned ?

Moreover, studying in US is cheaper as compared to Canada but the negative is that u can't apply for Permanent Residency after studying (as what i was told by a consultant during general enquiry) :surprised: .. For PR in Canada, u need to have a stay of 3 years and can choose 1 Study + 2 Work Years and vice versa,

Just got serious giving IELTS this season. Wanted to know whether the sample papers for each section provided on the website are sufficient for getting an insight to the exact pattern or can we expect something else as well ? English is not much of a problem for me as i did my entire schooling and graduation in the same language but still, if the test is tough, do u recommend taking up any coaching classes for the preparation ?

Browsed the test dates and got an availability for 11/10/2012. Are 10-15 days enough for preparation, starting from scratch ? And in what time frame can i expect the results to be out ? Need to apply for the September 2013 intake.

I'm having those last moment jitters before applying for universities .. the main thing that bothers me can i cope up with the study pattern of the universities ? I'm not having even 1% idea of how the academics are dealt in the foreign uni's. Maybe cos we are so accustomed to study acc. to the indian pattern i.e taking up books > marking syllabus > learning and picking up concepts > appearing for examinations > securing min. 40 > PASS !! Can anyone pls highlight about the system of US/Can uni's ? are the studies and exams easy to crack.

For the record, i'm thorough (no cramming) with all the concepts of my B.Tech.

Back