Audio M2 Burning in....

Yesterday i received my Brainwavz M2's from MP4nation. I compared them with my nuforce Ne-6's which i was using from 1 year. I found that the bass of M2's are not as good initially as of my Ne-6's. Will burning in the M2's bring some drastic changes or they are like that only and very less change will be noticed in sound quality specially lows after the burn in process??

The NE-6/NE7M pumped out bass like a bass machine i have not yet come across another IEM having bass like NE7M among ones i have used.

Just continue playing music and usually after 50-70hrs of playback you'll notice better sound from your IEM.
Yesterday i received my Brainwavz M2's from MP4nation. I compared them with my nuforce Ne-6's which i was using from 1 year. I found that the bass of M2's are not as good initially as of my Ne-6's. Will burning in the M2's bring some drastic changes or they are like that only and very less change will be noticed in sound quality specially lows after the burn in process??

The NE-6/NE7M pumped out bass like a bass machine i have not yet come across another IEM having bass like NE7M among ones i have used.

When i compared my nuforce with these, i got a lil shock as they were sounding better though being advised that M2 are better in terms of bass. Now,lets see whats gonna be the outcome of my M2's after the process. Till now, Nuforce are much better than M2's for me.

I have kept them for burn in using my itouch... should i play some bass centric songs or let the whole playlist repeat for hours??

I have kept the volume on 70%, so i think it should not damage them?

70 percent volume wont damage the earphones , cause t hats my listening volume most of the times , i think the burn in doesnt tune towards how you want it such that if you play bass centric songs it will give you the most bass , i am not too sure about it let some experts comment about that.

But i really doubt M2 will produce as much bass as NE6 , but will certainly give you a better overall sound signtaure compared to your NE-6. And i always felt Bass was better on my ex- Sansa CliP+ then my ipod touch.

M2's will not show any drastic change after burn-in, that has been my personal experience. And bass is not bloated in M2s as some people say, and it is in no way a bass centric iem. However, it does offer great clarity, instrument separation and tight bass. I am not sure how well the ipod touch will do justice to the M2, but paired with a clip+, it shines.

M2's will not show any drastic change after burn-in, that has been my personal experience. And bass is not bloated in M2s as some people say, and it is in no way a bass centric iem. However, it does offer great clarity, instrument separation and tight bass. I am not sure how well the ipod touch will do justice to the M2, but paired with a clip+, it shines.

But, here on this site, i always being advised M2's as a better replacement for Ne-7. This thing is really a shock to know for me after buying the pair because as far as my ears are sensitive, i found the bass of ne-7's a little better, so i was relying on burn-in to do some magic trick :/ :/

The only burn-in that will change the IEM to your liking is ... "Brain Burn-in".

I have always disagreed about M2's classification as "bass-head" IEMs. But those who like it's bass, do not like it's quantity rather it's quality without feeling inadequate in quantity. The "issue" with M2 is the nature of the bass presentation, which is on the softer side rather than the hard hitting bass punch you expect.

NE-7m is better in bass punch, better sound stage and has a similar non-fatiguing nature - from what little I remember. I cannot rely on poor audio memory, but here's what I wrote about it when I had the loaner.

I've read a lot about NE-7m's famed bass. But, I was a bit disappointed with it. Being used to Eterna, NE-7m's quantity was not as much as I thought it would be - my bad! But, there's something wrong - the drums don't sound alright, they sound sort of thick, not thick, but a bit muddy? With some more tracks and a little bit of A/B revealed that NE-7m's bass has a slightly longer decay, resulting in a thick mass of notes. It's not quick enough to reveal subtle information in the bass region. Otherwise, it carries very good extension and impact.

The mid range is slightly recessed, but was far better than I imagined. It's warm, thick, non-fatiguing and does not intend to surprise you with transparency or micro details. The treble continues a similar pattern of thick note and not much sparkle.

The next thing that took me by surprise was the sound stage, which has both good width and depth. Imaging is good. The phone is efficient enabling lower volume listening. Though it has spikes at 5 and 8 Khz, the sedate presentation at lower volumes restrains it from biting the ears like MEElectronics M6.

I think i did a mistake
<
<

Because i am now accustomed to the bass of nuforce, and this thing really feels shallow.....yes, there is quality i agree but, the amount of bass and some detail in missing when i am comparing it with my nuforce.

P.S - I bought them because there is some issue with my nuforce ne-6's on advice from not only this but some other sites also. Everything is good except some amount of bass missing.
<
<

burn in will not cure the lack of bass quantity.. the brainwavz m series were never meant to be bass centric, you should have kept that in mind before buying it.. but otherwise it's a really awesome earphone and you should rather pay attention to what it has to offer..

burn in will not cure the lack of bass quantity.. the brainwavz m series were never meant to be bass centric, you should have kept that in mind before buying it.. but otherwise it's a really awesome earphone and you should rather pay attention to what it has to offer..

i completely agree that other than bass, everything is awesome..but my priority was bass... :/

I dont think burn-in kind of process is necessary for IEMs. It may hold true for speakers. I am having M2, and I newly bought RE272, i dont think there is a change that how re272 sounds in the first day and now. Like santhosh said it all depends on us.

Honestly, I dint get much difference. But after about a 100 hours, they sounded different. A bit better to be honest. To confirm that it is not "Brain Burn-In", I have A/Bed it with a new M2. I have seen difference and I liked what I heard. Do let us know what you hear after solid burn-in

Actually just after 30hours burn in, i heard difference, though after that i halted the process because i thought i will let them polish with time. The bass increased little, detailed and even now i am able to get some on a slight beat.

When they were new, the bass was too stiff, i mean the bass on the beats was flat rather than thumping.

And whosoever says that burn in is just brain thing, its completely wrong to say this because i have heard drastic changes in my nuforce ne-6 over course of time. Even when my friend bought M1, he complained the same that the bass is not upto the mark but within course of time, when he played in them for abt 150 hours and everything inside loosen, he also realized that they sounds really good along with bass. And the reason given for burn-in is also justified. If the diahragm if of rubber,leather any material, if it will be made to move to and fro, being elastic, it will loosen and the more output will be provided.Thats my personal opinion. I dont know what other think, but as far as i have noticed, YES, BURN-IN HELPS.

#harshit143 it has a psychological [brain thing] as well because you get accustomed to that particular sound signature, I felt it when I jumped from my EP 630 --> SoundMAGIC PL-30, my friend complained that they [PL-30] were pathetic compared to his earlier phones, but overtime he also realized that after burn-in and around personal listening of ~75 Hours+ the PL-30's opened up.

And I still have people who after giving a 15 minute run down between the EP 630 and the SoundMAGIC PL-30 say that the EP's sound better simply because their brain is wired that way and the PL-30 sound signature feels of the mark [bass is definitely not upto those boomy levels of the EP 630].

These are my views, so please no flaming. Cheers!!

Burn in helps no doubt, but it depends on the pair of iems or headphones. Some dont show a drastic change, some do. And as far as my experience goes, M2s dont change that much after burn-in, whereas say a meelec m9 does. And whoever classifies M2s as 'bassy' are being naive and carefree. Its not a bassy iem, but an iem with good bass. There is a difference between the two.

I said this long back - put me in a straight jacket and leave me with EP630 for 3 days. First, I will hate it, then I will get used to it, third day I will start to like some of it's signature features. That's what brain acclamatisation can do. It does not happen with IEMs these days, but it happens to me with sources. I initially did not like QA350 much at all, but once I got used to it, I thought it was better than Clip+. Since I started using QA350 -> UHA6S long enough as my primary rig, I have found it very hard to go back to Clip+.

I am agnostic on the topic of burn-in (may exist, may not exist, I don't care!). To me, it's one of those useless debates which won't reach any meaningful conclusion much like cables. I believe in tips though!

I do "burn in" even my sources (by burning in the IEMs / Headphones) before listening because I can afford to wait for 3-4 days or even 3-4 weeks, but I don't stop to notice the 'before' and 'after' changes at all. I've observed changes in a few, but I was never 100% certain that they were due to 'breaking in' of IEMs or headphones. For one, the 'changes' always occur with IEMs I initially dislike. I never wanted to break-in FX700 or EX-1000. Second, with no measurements to back me up, I am still in the subjective arena - not in the realm of objective numbers.
  1. For instance, GR07 seemed to be smooth at first, but became sibilant after 10 hours of use and in the end, seemed to have much less irritating sibilance after about 160 hours.
  2. Panasonic HJE900 changed dramatically after 12 hours of burn-in but then I also changed the tips, so I am never sure about that one.
  3. With Crossroads Woody Two that Brendon loaned me I could knock off 1-2dB in EQ adjustment (from -6 to -4 - something like that) for some peak (don't remember the frequency exactly) after 25 hours of burn-in. But even in that case, after I kept it unused for a couple of days, I went back to the old setting.
  4. I felt that with 80 hours of burn-in, ECCI PR401 had become "warmer", but then upon A:B-ing with RE-ZERO, I felt the relative differences I felt were exactly the same as in hour zero.

Audio memory is very cloudy, mood swings are plenty and taste wildly swings depending on the day. So, I don't know if these instances are placebo induced / dependent on mood / actual happenings.

Burn-in may exist, but I believe that the first 20-25 hours are crucial in terms of any wear and tear to happen and to get mentally adjusted to the sound. Some of the differences may be subtle enough not to be audible. It can offset the frequency response by a couple of dB here and there which can alter the perception, but I am not sure if it can change the character of an IEM. M2 will remain softer in bass presentation no matter what. It would never become punchy like the thick noted TF10. Bass getting more extended can also happen due to difference in closely observing the phenomenon.

Even with same IEM differences (fresh and used), it can be brushed aside by 'manufacturing tolerances' / 'batch differences'. My friend ordered a couple of MEE M6 together once, burnt one of them for 50 hours, observed some changes, compared it against the fresh one and later reported not much difference between the fresh one and the burned-in one.

And why is the impact of burn-in always positive? What about more "burn outs"? Even dfkt who felt that IE8 "burned out" after 200 hours, said recently in abi

IE 80 are essentially the same as the IE 8, almost no difference is sound quality. Their bass appears to extend deeper with some tracks, but not with others. AB testing these fairly fresh IE 80 against my 3 year old (and daily used) IE 8 shows that burn-in or burn-out is pretty much bogus.
tongue.gif

Countless threads or war of words exist on head-fi between objectivists and subjectivists with no apparent conclusions. Same story would happen here. One would be better served to read both the article and all the comments - would explain both sides of the story.

Testing the Audibility of Break-in Effects | InnerFidelity

Few other interesting threads:

A tale of 2 IEM's (Montser Turbine Copper 1 vs Monster Turbine Copper 2) How different burnin techniques gave me two unique IEM's

Burn-in. Real or not?

Back