Disciple
Dear All,

Macbook Pro 13" | Comparison | Macbook Pro 15" |
i5/i7 Dual Core | Processor | i7 Quad Core |
1280*800 | Native Display | 1440*900 (1680*1050) |
Intel HD3000 | Graphics Card | Intel HD3000 |
| | AMD Radeon 6490M |

Is a Macbook Pro 13" really worth it?

1) BIG Issue: If I go for the Macbook Pro 13", it'll be a big investment and I'll probably not buy a laptop for another two to three years. Does the screen resolution of 1280*800 do justice to a blu-ray film. I am sure there are several laptops out there for example from Sony Vaio which can trump the resolution of this laptop at a similar price.
2) Small Issue: Is Intel HD3000 good enough? I am not much of a gamer so I probably don't need an extremely good graphics card.
3) Small Issue: Is it worthwhile to go for the i7 Dual Core version by spending another 300$?
4) Maintainence Issue: I understand that you have to buy a lot of additional stuff from Apple in order to say plug this laptop to a bigger screen. You have to buy additional apple products or specialized products for the OSX like Office Mac extra. Does this laptop prove far more expensive than its price tag in the long run?

1 - it will last for more than 3 years.just pick up apple care when u have gathered 10 k after your mbp purchase.blurays look ace.dont even think of the screen resolution.

2 - you answered your own question

3- nope.unless you are into very very very heavy duty work no need to.

4 - the only extra i ever needed was a mini display port which i got for 700 rs on ebay.office for mac can easily be taken from your internet friends.

i have purchased a lot of lappy's in my time and had a viao before getting the mbp and its been my best investment yet.

1 - it should easily last 3 years. would say it would fetch you a good price even after that

2 - If you are into gaming do not buy, You can google for reasons. Casual gaming can be done though on select games

3- i7 on Macbook Pro 13" is a complete waste of money as it is the almost the same as i5 with extra cache . Very little performance diff

On the other hand i7 in 15" model are quad core and much more powerfull.

4 - Yep you can buy a cheap adapter or the white coloured one looks same as the original apple converter. Your choice.

You might need speaker if you like to watch movies on it although you can always use headphones.

Overall it's worth it not just because of built quality but also because of the Mac OS

I would strongly recommend the Dell XPS 15z, it is perfect for your needs, and one of the best laptops I have had the pleasure of using. The display is far superior - 1920x1080 (that's double the resolution) and 15.6" - both crucial for watching high-resolution movies. It has the same CPU, a discrete GPU (GT 525M), 7200RPM hard drive, etc. It also has the same 64 Whr 8-cell battery as the Macbook Pro 13 and with Optimus the battery life will be great. One choice you will have to make is USB 3.0 vs Thunderbolt - at this time USB 3.0 is definitely much wider supported (advantage XPS15z) and hardly anything for Thunderbolt, but who knows what the future brings? The build quality is top notch and identical to the Macbook Pro - it is built by the same contractor that builds Macbook Pros, with the same materials. The trackpad is great (though pinch-to-zoom just slightly feels better on the Macbook Pro) and the keyboard is simply superb, easily the best keyboard I have seen on a laptop.

Now, you must be expecting this to cost much more than the Macbook Pro 13, but here's the clincher - it's exactly the same price!

Of course, if looks and thinness is not a concern to you, there are far better configs available in this price range.

As for reliability, I am not sure about Dell, but Apple laptops are deemed to be quite unreliable. Not as bad as HP (15% lower failure rate) but definitely miles behind Asus or Lenovo (Apple has 70% higher failure rate). (Source: ASUS More Reliable Than Apple But Lenovo Bests Them All - HotHardware). So might want to consider an Asus or Lenovo if reliability is a concern. Regardless, it is most recommended that you get the 3-year warranty extensions.

One reason to go for the Macbook Pro 13 is if you must use Mac OS X or are an Apple fan.

Sub said:
I would strongly recommend the Dell XPS 15z, it is perfect for your needs, and one of the best laptops I have had the pleasure of using. The display is far superior - 1920x1080 (that's double the resolution) and 15.6" - both crucial for watching high-resolution movies. It has the same CPU, a discrete GPU (GT 525M), 7200RPM hard drive, etc. It also has the same 64 Whr 8-cell battery as the Macbook Pro 13 and with Optimus the battery life will be great. One choice you will have to make is USB 3.0 vs Thunderbolt - at this time USB 3.0 is definitely much wider supported (advantage XPS15z) and hardly anything for Thunderbolt, but who knows what the future brings? The build quality is top notch and identical to the Macbook Pro - it is built by the same contractor that builds Macbook Pros, with the same materials. The trackpad is great (though pinch-to-zoom just slightly feels better on the Macbook Pro) and the keyboard is simply superb, easily the best keyboard I have seen on a laptop.

Now, you must be expecting this to cost much more than the Macbook Pro 13, but here's the clincher - it's exactly the same price!

Of course, if looks and thinness is not a concern to you, there are far better configs available in this price range.

As for reliability, I am not sure about Dell, but Apple laptops are deemed to be quite unreliable. Not as bad as HP (15% lower failure rate) but definitely miles behind Asus or Lenovo (Apple has 70% higher failure rate). (Source: ASUS More Reliable Than Apple But Lenovo Bests Them All - HotHardware). So might want to consider an Asus or Lenovo if reliability is a concern. Regardless, it is most recommended that you get the 3-year warranty extensions.

One reason to go for the Macbook Pro 13 is if you must use Mac OS X or are an Apple fan.
unreliability factor of the mbp is very less.one of my friend is using his mac for the last 4 years and it will still give you optimum standards.nothing slow nothing less.if i put my mbp on stand by 2day and open it after 5 days it will give me the same performance instantly.

build quality as good as the mbp? no chance

battery life? mbp hands down

usb vs thunderbolt frankly speaking even usb 3.0 is rarely used but on the question of new technology.mbp wins here as well.

screen resolution - 13 incher vs 15.6.you comparing apples to oranges.[see what i did there].watching a movie on a mbp or watching it on my ati 5450 powered dual core htpc on a g2220 hd i ahve never seen a difference.hell i would even admit it looks a bit clearer on the mbp.

cpu power - dont care.if you have ever used a mac before[which i am darn sure you havent] it just doesnt matter.i use a c2d and hell it will rape your xps in more ways than one.

gpu - dell wins in hands down.if i had any gaming aspiration i do not even think of a mac.

specs - no mac user is bothered with specs.i certainly aint coz its already so fasrt.but yes if you do heavy duty editing and rendering will defo recommend you to shelve a mac and take a windows based laptop.

"One reason to go for the Macbook Pro 13 is if you must use Mac OS X or are an Apple fan."

nope its because it is the best portable out there and mac os is boss.ofcoourse if you always want to get a cheap laptop xps is always a option.

vantheman5211 said:
unreliability factor of the mbp is very less.one of my friend is using his mac for the last 4 years and it will still give you optimum standards.nothing slow nothing less.if i put my mbp on stand by 2day and open it after 5 days it will give me the same performance instantly.

usb vs thunderbolt frankly speaking even usb 3.0 is rarely used but on the question of new technology.mbp wins here as well.

screen resolution - 13 incher vs 15.6.you comparing apples to oranges.[see what i did there].watching a movie on a mbp or watching it on my ati 5450 powered dual core htpc on a g2220 hd i ahve never seen a difference.hell i would even admit it looks a bit clearer on the mbp.

cpu power - dont care.if you have ever used a mac before[which i am darn sure you havent] it just doesnt matter.i use a c2d and hell it will rape your xps in more ways than one.

gpu - dell wins in hands down.if i had any gaming aspiration i do not even think of a mac.

specs - no mac user is bothered with specs.i certainly aint coz its already so fasrt.but yes if you do heavy duty editing and rendering will defo recommend you to shelve a mac and take a windows based laptop.

"One reason to go for the Macbook Pro 13 is if you must use Mac OS X or are an Apple fan."

nope its because it is the best portable out there and mac os is boss.ofcoourse if you always want to get a cheap laptop xps is always a option.
Have you even seen a Dell XPS 15z? Let alone used one?

And I suppose your friend's experience is more relevant than that of RescueCom?

And no need to accuse me of never using a Mac. I work in an industry dominated by Apple computers and work with everything from a Macbook to a Mac Pro on a daily basis. Such immature personal jabs are not appreciated.

vantheman5211 said:

1. An MBP is meant to be a powerful desktop replacement that is used by professionals and power users. Specs is the foremost thing. yes, specs may not matter to stupid apple fanbois who buy products just for the heck of it, but for most professionals and power users who do utilize MBPs properly, specs matter and that is why they buy MBPs instead of the regular MB's. They buy it for the specs, not because its made by Apple. For us utilizing an MBP at office meant running it at > 70% CPU load for 10 hours a day and never switching it off.

2. For me, anything with less than a 17" Display is not really an MBP in the true sense. MBP is a not a laptop, its a portable workstation. It should have the largest screen possible that still keeps it reasonably portable.

And why the heck do people like you assume that someone didn't use a Mac Book because he is recommending some other option?

Yes MBP is the best portable workstation one can get as long as one can utilize it and I would glady recommended any of the 17" models that cost over 1Lac.

You on the other hand are not a worthy user capable of utilizing it and the moment you mentioned that specs doesn't matter and that BS about the CPU power, you proved that you are not even qualified to talk about it.

Lord Nemesis said:
1. An MBP is meant to be a powerful desktop replacement that is used by professionals and power users. Specs is the foremost thing. yes, specs may not matter to stupid apple fanbois who buy products just for the heck of it, but for most professionals and power users who do utilize MBPs properly, specs matter and that is why they buy MBPs instead of the regular MB's. They buy it for the specs, not because its made by Apple. For us utilizing an MBP at office meant running it at > 70% CPU load for 10 hours a day and never switching it off.

2. For me, anything with less than a 17" Display is not really an MBP in the true sense. MBP is a not a laptop, its a portable workstation. It should have the largest screen possible that still keeps it reasonably portable.

And why the heck do people like you assume that someone didn't use a Mac Book because he is recommending some other option?

Yes MBP is the best portable workstation one can get as long as one can utilize it and I would glady recommended any of the 17" models that cost over 1Lac.

You on the other hand are not a worthy user capable of utilizing it and the moment you mentioned that specs doesn't matter and that BS about the CPU power, you proved that you are not even qualified to talk about it.
1 - in terms of specs i meant it didnt matter in reference to the op's requirements

2 - never heard that or is it just your perception of a mbp? i do not use it for professional use but i would always get a mbp infront a mb.i bought the mbp 13 incher for the portability factor.17 incher was never a need nor a option.

cmon man even you can see that he didnt use it.if you find my comments indotic have a look at his and my reply was on the same lines.

who the hell are you to tell me i am worthy or not? its a free place and people are allowed to voice their opinions.my views regarding the cpu power and what you termed "bs" is my perception of it.it may be right and it may be wrong.

ofcourse you know more about mbp than me but that doesnt mean i shouldnt speak what little i know about.if that happened this place would be filled by fully fledged engenieers.

again coming by your words yes i aint qualified regarding to fully advice about a mbp but i still feel that if i have something to say[even if 60% of it is right] i do type and post it.

anyways peace bro.

All I wanted to do was share my experience with the OP, and possibly help them with their purchase. Instead, I am accused of being a liar, by someone who clearly hasn't used the laptop I am talking about. Such times we live in.

Sub said:
All I wanted to do was share my experience with the OP, and possibly help them with their purchase. Instead, I am accused of being a liar, by someone who clearly hasn't used the laptop I am talking about. Such times we live in.
well mate all you can do is read your own post and how stupid reason you yourself gave as well.anyways i didnt accuse you of being a liar.apologies if you percieved that from my end.as i said again peace out.

my intention was to also help the op as given by my first reply.

peace bro

vantheman5211 said:
well mate all you can do is read your own post and how stupid reason you yourself gave as well.anyways i didnt accuse you of being a liar.apologies if you percieved that from my end.as i said again peace out.

my intention was to also help the op as given by my first reply.

peace bro
First answer this question -

Have you ever used a Dell XPS 15z?

vantheman5211 said:
used - no

sampled - yes
OK, next, I quote you:

vantheman5211 said:
its a free place and people are allowed to voice their opinions

So, then why do you attack and accuse me of lying of not using a Macbook Pro just because my opinion is different from yours?

@vela.faltu:
Is a Macbook Pro 13" really worth it?

No,its not worth it,Any particular reason you have shortlisted only apple laptops for your requirement? you should also have a look at Dell XPS 15z, its much slimmer than the normal XPS15 and it comes with an awesome 15 inch full HD screen which will trump the MBP in both resolution and panel quality and you get 3 yrs complete cover warranty for free with XPS15z which covers even accidental damages compared to the shitty apple care warranty which is both expensive and doesnt cover accidental damages.

XPS 15z Laptop Details | Dell India

Sub said:
OK, next, I quote you:

fair play

So, then why do you accuse me of lying of not using a Macbook Pro just because my opinion is different from yours?
i never said you lied.i implied the fact that given your comments i percieved you of not having previous experience of a mbp because some of your arguments were stupid.

One reason to go for the Macbook Pro 13 is if you must use Mac OS X or are an Apple fan. > this line especially made me convinced.

tbh now i am more baffled since you work in a apple dominated work space that you have such poor opinion of the mbp.

again mate i will repeat this if by any reason you felt that i called you a liar i dearly apologise for the same.

vantheman5211 said:
i never said you lied.i implied the fact that given your comments i percieved you of not having previous experience of a mbp because some of your arguments were stupid.

One reason to go for the Macbook Pro 13 is if you must use Mac OS X or are an Apple fan. > this line especially made me convinced.

tbh now i am more baffled since you work in a apple dominated work space that you have such poor opinion of the mbp.

again mate i will repeat this if by any reason you felt that i called you a liar i dearly apologise for the same.
I don't wish to take this any further, as this is clearly intruding in the OP's aims. I will just quote this:

I am sorry, but this isn't "implied the fact that given your comments i percieved". This is downright snide and crass. And then you go onto accuse my "arguments" being "stupid" when you come up with some ridiculous claim on how your Core 2 Duo will "rape" a Core i5 Sandy Bridge machine with no rhyme or logic.

OK, let's start at the beginning with your first argument -

This is what I quoted - the latest RescueCom survey, the most respected source for laptop reliability metrics - ASUS More Reliable Than Apple But Lenovo Bests Them All - HotHardware

And this is your argument - "One of my friend is using his mac..."

And you are calling my arguments "stupid"?

I am sorry, I am not going to waste any more time on this. OP, sorry for all the disturbance. I am outta here.

I hope there's an Ignore User option in these forums.

Sub said:
I don't wish to take this any further, as this is clearly intruding in the OP's aims. I will just quote this:

I am sorry, but this isn't "implied the fact that given your comments i percieved". This is downright snide and crass. And then you go onto accuse my "arguments" being "stupid" when you come up with some ridiculous claim on how your Core 2 Duo will "rape" a Core i5 Sandy Bridge machine with no rhyme or logic.

yep i told you what i can see.but i do put my hands up and say that i am wrong given in the judgement of a c2d can rape a i5 not technically but my preference would always be a c2d using a mac than a wiin7 using a i5.i put my hands up on this and say that i was wrong coz this sounded in a bigger context and not my personal taste

given by the tone of your comments i replied it via a better tone on my side offering a olive branch in the last 2 replies.as per me percieving your comments it was meant at the time of my first reply and not now.yep and your comments that a mbp is made only for apple fans werent stupid at all.
OK, let's start at the beginning with your first argument -

This is what I quoted - the latest RescueCom survey, the most respected source for laptop reliability metrics - ASUS More Reliable Than Apple But Lenovo Bests Them All - HotHardware

And this is your argument - "One of my friend is using his mac..."

well it depends on opinion is it not? you might take the word from xyz site while i take the word of something which i can see.reasonable or not it depends on a person's argument of the same.

And you are calling my arguments "stupid"?

I am sorry, I am not going to waste any more time on this. OP, sorry for all the disturbance. I am outta here.

I hope there's an Ignore User option in these forums.

i am sure mate your time is valuable but i wont apologize on wasting it [already done so in the previous 2 posts]

well there are always arguments mate.
i can put my hands up and say that i was stupid in making some of the comments but few of your comments imo were equally stupid.

as for op post,
mate genuinly sorry for the disturbance.i hope you take a detailed opinion as per your tastes.cheers and peace out

Lord Nemesis said:

Beg to disagree here, in my workplace(not anyway related to IT)50% of the employee is using MBP(mostly 13 inchers)No one there is a power user and we mostly work on medical statistics only.Oh!Forgot to mention we are professionals in our fields.

There are people who do not need raw processing power,the only thing important for them is rock solid stability and most of them work in remote villages where even electric supply is not always available,for them MBP(13 inchers)is perfect(the only other laptops I have seen surviving this routine are few lattitudes,tps and occassional toughbooks(few even survived Ayala in sundarbans)

Back