Macbook pro 13

I am planning to buy Macbook pro 13 in near future (not an urgent requirement). I have 2-years old Windows laptop and a netbook, but would like something better as an upgrade later this year. Rampage has had a thread for Macbook pro 13 for 58.xK odd, but the thing I am not so happy about is that they are still using Core2Duo. I do not want to go for Macbook pro 15 (due to budgetary constraints and I need portability also). Any chances of Apple upgrading their Macbook pro 13 to use newer processors in next few months? Should I hold on my purchase till that time?

^ Additionally, you would have heard about the Sandy Bridge proccy rolled out by Intel and also there is a high speculation about Macbook Pro getting a update this year. Wait for couple of months, and you can see the market flooded with hundreds of laptops by vendors.

Maybe there will be more options in Macbook Pros itself, due variations in Intel proccy.

You'll be spoiled for choice.

its always a good time to buy mac.. i just got my 2010 mbp 13 few months back. something new is always round the corner, the wait game is never ending, core2duo is more then enough for what i intend to do with my machine so why wait..?? plus osx is more ram dependant then cpu to be honest. there isnt anything this machine is not capable off. happy with my purchase :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Since I can wait for a few months say till April, I'll see what kind of offerings Apple has in 13" Macbook pro category by that time, and decide accordingly.

If you dont need it urgently then its better to wait for the new MBP 13 with latest intel core lineup.

Macbooks get a refresh every year. If you can wait until Q2, the new lineup should be announced by then.

What applications are you planning to use on the Mac?

I am not looking to run any Mac-specific applications. Just want to experience OSX and superior build quality of Macbook. The laptop will be used for general purpose and occasional Java programming.

^

The so called superior build quality of the MAC's is just overrating of their product, if you don't plan to use any Mac-centric usage like Final Cut Pro or similar I think you are better of with a Windows based laptop. All in all its only the well scripted MAC OS that is worth it, rest is all hype < I use MAC for MAYA > apart from painful render times due to ancient configuration < Core2Duo + ATi X1600 + 2 GB DDR II RAM > it is a good system only because it is stable thanks to its OS rest all an assembled desktop can beat the pants of any MAC.

Hope this helps :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook

Reception

Despite being hailed by Slashgear as one of the best entry-level notebooks Apple have produced," the unibody MacBook has received criticism for its lack of a FireWire port and SD card slot. Nilay Patel of Engadget added that the USB ports were easily dented and the bottom of the laptop became worn and discolored after a few days. He also drew particular attention to the fact that the price was not lowered, stating that the small price difference between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro makes it a "wasted pricing opportunity.However, most critics agree that the unibody MacBook's display is significantly better than its predecessor's. AppleInsider states that the new display "delivers significantly better color and viewing angle performance" than the previous MacBook, but still "not as vivid and wide-angle viewable as the MacBook Pro screens.

http://www.askdeb.com/blog/technology/what-is-a-macbook-how-does-the-macbook-work/

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/apple-macbook-air-13-2010--908597/review?artc_pg=3

^^Son,have you seen the macbook pro or just reading reviews online?The o.p is planning for a MBP(which has all those ports and slots you seem to be dying for)not the white macbook(and FYI the difference between them is about 10k,which is not a small amount in my book)Why are you even bothering yourself with apples`s"wasted pricing opportunity"?Stay happy with your windows lappy and let others decide for themselves,and from when the hell people have started trusting endgadget or slashgear reviews before buying macs?

I have done some study about features I get in Macbook pro, and ports and all are there as per my requirement. And I believe build quality of Macbook pro is definitely better. When one considers a Macbook pro, VFM aspect is the last thing on mind.

But let's not get into PC Vs Mac discussion all over again.

red dragon said:
^^Son,have you seen the macbook pro or just reading reviews online?The o.p is planning for a MBP(which has all those ports and slots you seem to be dying for)not the white macbook(and FYI the difference between them is about 10k,which is not a small amount in my book)Why are you even bothering yourself with apples`s"wasted pricing opportunity"?Stay happy with your windows lappy and let others decide for themselves,and from when the hell people have started trusting endgadget or slashgear reviews before buying macs?
I use it enough number of times in college too for online reviews sake and in one term they are horribly overrated JUNKS

Just wait it out,the macbook pro's are bound to get a refresh soon,

So buy one after that.

Honestly after using a mac,its difficult to go back to Windows(Imho)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ALPHA17 said:
I use it enough number of times in college too for online reviews sake and in one term they are horribly overrated JUNKS

I strongly disagree,i think its a matter of opinion.

ALPHA17 said:

God bless you son!We,somehow manage to stay happy with the junks(in bold caps).

@o.p anytime is a good time to buy a mac(the mbp is a great machine dude,compare it with thinpad T series or latitude,it is not that overpriced)

Have said it before, will say it again!

I was a serial laptop changer till 2008 (cycle time was typically >6 months.. and then I got myself a macbook unibody and have been happy with it ever since)

red dragon said:
God bless you son!We,somehow manage to stay happy with the junks(in bold caps).

@o.p anytime is a good time to buy a mac(the mbp is a great machine dude,compare it with thinpad T series or latitude,it is not that overpriced)
i agree that MBP is a very good option for some but it doesnt have the build quality and durability of thinkpads which are built like tanks whereas MBP is prone to dents.

RS4 said:
i agree that MBP is a very good option for some but it doesnt have the build quality and durability of thinkpads which are built like tanks whereas MBP is prone to dents.

That is true,one just needs to be careful,mine fell down from about 3 feet,Nothing happened luckily :p,Not a scratch! :S

RS4 said:
Agreed,but only the T series has that superb built quality and the most basic T410(i3+2gigs-o.s)costs around 58k,the keyboard is brilliant,touchpad is good but the screen and speakers are very poor compared to MBP.All other thinkpads (edge,x and what not)are crap.

^^screen preference is a completely personal choice, most of the people(including myself) prefer matte screen over the shiny,glossy screens.

Back