MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?

Imrahn

Adept
Thinking of making my first foray into the MacBook world.I have a few queries which needs serious help from the experts here.

1.Is it worth it considering the resale value or diminishing returns with respect to new models being pushed out every year? Or should I go for a 'normal' laptop from another company?

2.MB Pro or MB Air? Purpose is strictly snob value and nothing intensive.Only downside with MB Air is the small size :(

3.If MB Pro, which 15 incher?

4.If bought from abroad, will get local warranty here?

Plz help me with these queries.

Thanx in advance.

Regards
Imrahn

1. Macbook pro and Macbook air has maximum resale value compared to other laptops.
2. Depends on usage ... go for air if you need portability .... it has high res 1440x900 and is very good in performance ... downside is no upgradability ...personally i wouldnt go with normal pro without retina ... as its design has been market for 3-4 and at end of design cycle and expected to replace next year by retina models. I am holding off purchase for the same reason ... but it has lower resolution 1280x800 ... my nexus has 1280x720........in contrast pro offers better upgradability

3. Go for MB Pro only if you are interested in 15inch form factor and needs to be graphic intensive work or gaming... for future upgradability .. gofor retina display.

4. All macbooks has international 1 year warranty ... works in india However service is not as good as apple store abroad... I strongly recommend to buy 2 year additional apple care along with macbook esp air....

Guys I'm in a similar spot....looking to gift my sister a lappy but unable o decide between pro and air. I personally prefer pro considering the specs but also feel that air suits girls better because of the light weight and ease of carrying around. Is air a justifiable purchase just because of the weight? Is air worth it's weight? My sis is in US and she will be buying it there...so is this the right time to buy? Pls advise.

If you are okay with no Ethernet and DVD ROM drive (both can be connected externally through USB), go for MacBook Air. I bought an Air for myself few months back and couldn't have bern happier. My Core i5, 4 GB RAM Air is much more snappier than my office Core i7 Pro (likely because of SSD) and it just feels so good to carry it around. I always wondered if Air would be good for me (I am a hard-core iOS developer), but 3 months later, I have no regrets.

I'm also in the same situation. However I'm holding off my purchase till july or so, around that time apple should bring out the newer generation of macbooks.
The Air will most probably get the retina treatment, and the 13 inch pro would be a viable option then, currently I'm reading that the 13 inch pros with retina have some performance issues due to the integrated graphics being unable to do justice to the retina under load. Too bad the 15 inch retina is out of my budget.

Thinking of making my first foray into the MacBook world.I have a few queries which needs serious help from the experts here.

1.Is it worth it considering the resale value or diminishing returns with respect to new models being pushed out every year? Or should I go for a 'normal' laptop from another company?

Every product in tech has this problem and you cannot ignore this no matter which section you put your foray in.Laptops more than others,fall into the higher zone of this category.Macbooks will give you a better resale value visavis the windows laptops.
2.MB Pro or MB Air? Purpose is strictly snob value and nothing intensive.Only downside with MB Air is the small size
sad.png

I think if this is your criteria then get a 13 inch macbook pro.It is built like a tank and has fantastic ergonomics and design.
3.If MB Pro, which 15 incher?
Read above.
4.If bought from abroad, will get local warranty here?
afaik it has international warranty but i will suggest you to double check.

Thx Pat for the insight. Guess I have to go down and look them both personally before buying.

And Tenzin where did you get the news abt the new models coming in? Do you think I should wait?

In your case, I think the macbook air 13 inch will be a great option.

Well regarding the new models, all based on rumours :p But as for me, I'm waiting for the next generation models.

International warranty applies.

The Air is the best computer I have ever owned. Period. Will never go back to a HDD laptop again. Having said that my use is pretty much internet, mail, MS Office, some photo/video work, and nothing really heavy duty.

Someone mentioned optical drive and ethernet. Get an external optical for less than 2K if you need, and a USB ethernet adapter for 250/- on ebay.

Hi
Am planning to buy new mac book. My budget is max 85k. I need mac for programming. Am confused with MacBook pro and air. Which lap is better for programming. Please help

Went to the apple store the ther day. Very very impressed with pro and air. My observation is that those who are confused between the air and pro because of weight can completely ignore the weight factor. Both are more or less the same. Look for the specs that suit and forget the weight factor. Both are awesomely good.

@blkrb0t which model are you refering to and price? I have decided on Mac Book Pro for 1700$...if anything else is available with better specs for the same price i have no issues. Im not a fanboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
blkrb0t which model are you refering to and price? I have decided on Mac Book Pro for 1700$...if anything else is available with better specs for the same price i have no issues. Im not a fanboy.

Which MacBook Pro have you settled in for? 13-inch? And what are the specs, I believe they can be customised. Once you give me an idea, I'll pitch in an equally viable offering from the Zenbook range.

As of current, these are hot: http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/

Ok.. Girls dig Macbook Air cuz its fashionable and practical.
For Programming, i suggest the base 13" macbook pro...
I am using a 13" macbook pro 2010 model. My torrents, web browsin, audio video itunes management and lil bit of FCP and Logic pro.. The mac didnt crash once nor i had to reinstall the OS. No malware issues till date.. My parents (Especially my mom) are now net savvy due to this machine... If you are a light or medium pc user, you will dig macbooks. :)

Which MacBook Pro have you settled in for? 13-inch? And what are the specs, I believe they can be customised. Once you give me an idea, I'll pitch in an equally viable offering from the Zenbook range.

As of current, these are hot: Lenovo X1 Carbon - Business-Class ThinkPad X1 Carbon Fiber Laptop | Lenovo (US)

The one I have chosen is 13 iunch model with retina display with the following specs:

• 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz memory
  • 128GB flash storage[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Built-in battery (7 hours)[SUP]2[/SUP]

And this is gng to be a gift to my sister for her wedding. Usage would be browsing, watching hd movies etc. Nothing intensive no gaming.

My requirement would be a lappy with very good display like the retina. She actually wanted to buy Macbook pro because of the display. SO I want a lappy with display at least as good as the mac book if not better.

@shady2pac If display is the main criteria, then ASUS Zenbook is the better choice as it is available with 1080p IPS panel, even for the 11-incher, and the new models even support touch. Touch-screen laptops are great, users who've used it swear by it. rMBP screens have ghosting issues, the ones that use LG screens, though the Samsung manufactured ones seem to fare better.

What do you expect the usage pattern of your sister to be?

@blkrb0t Usage would be mostly browsing, watching movies sitcoms etc. no gaming nothing intensive. She might be using at least a couple of hours daily. How do you rate the zen book display with respect to retina? As good as retina?

One que here (sorry to interrupt), To the owners / Experts....

Non Retina - 13" Inch Macbook pro - Core i5 dual core 2.5ghz - which comes with 4 GB RAM (8GB Max) - Is it user replaceable / upgradable RAM option like Mac Mini ?

Back