Budget 0-20k Major upgrade advice required

n2avin

Recruit
My desktop setup is dying and is plagued by frequent breakdowns. I made some upgrades (mobo and psu) around 18 months back and want a completely new setup now. I will be using the PSU, HDD and optical disk drive from the earlier setup.

Need suggestions on whether to go for an AMD setup or intel. Anything which gives better longterm value, superior processing is not a criteria here as the most cpu/gpu intensive work will be watching hd movies. Will celeron dual cores work? will they be future proof?

Looking to spend a max of 20k for the upgrades. Planning to buy the replacement stuff by next week. Please give your suggestions.

1. What is your budget?
    • 20K max
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD Athlon II 3600+
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
    • GPU - onboard
    • RAM – old DDR2 module 2gb x 1
    • Monitor – viewsonic 19 inch
    • SMPS - Corsair VX450
    • Cabinet – zebronics
    • HDD – Seagate 500 gb
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • HDD - Seagate 500 gb
    • SMPS - Corsair VX450
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H (only if it fits in with the new proccy)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU – preferably Intel
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU – there will be no gaming – so not required I guess
    • Cabinet
    • monitor 20 inch or above
  5. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • preferably online purchase
  6. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Need something which I will not have to replace over the next 5 years at least
    • Since the pc will be on 24/7the setup should not overheat, intel would be better than AMD in this aspect, I guess?
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming will be done
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
  • Desktop - 1440x900
  1. Are you looking to overclock?
  • No
  1. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 32 or 64 bit
Thanks for any help provided.

Back