Makemytrip or IRCTC for train tickets??

Guys which site is better for booking train tickets in every aspect and more secure, easy to use and will IRCTC charges extra amount as i have heard makemytrip adds 10rs.??

MakeMyTrip will charge you 10/20 bucks over and above what IRCTC will charge you, so IRCTC is the way to go.
I personally found IRCTC easier to navigate (MMT has a congested interface and sometimes you might miss the train(s) you're interested in). Moreover, you can't book Tatkal tickets from anywhere else apart from IRCTC between 8 am - 9 am. No agent logins or third party site access allowed for Tatkal during the 1st 1 hour.

harshit143 said:
Guys which site is better for booking train tickets in every aspect and more secure, easy to use and will IRCTC charges extra amount as i have heard makemytrip adds 10rs.??

IRCTC all the way. One of the few government organizations to have an excellent, functional and generally trouble-free website.
alekhkhanna said:
MakeMyTrip will charge you 10/20 bucks over and above what IRCTC will charge you, so IRCTC is the way to go.

I personally found IRCTC easier to navigate (MMT has a congested interface and sometimes you might miss the train(s) you're interested in). Moreover, you can't book Tatkal tickets from anywhere else apart from IRCTC between 8 am - 9 am. No agent logins or third party site access allowed for Tatkal during the 1st 1 hour.

Make it 2 hours. Starting from Nov.21, the ARP for Tatkal tickets has been brought down to one day, and the time period in which agents cannot book Tatkal tickets has been increased to 2 hours, from 8 - 10am.

logistopath said:
IRCTC all the way. One of the few government organizations to have an excellent, functional and generally trouble-free website.

Yeah. Surprisingly, the refunds are pretty fast. 5-7 days max.

logistopath said:
Make it 2 hours. Starting from Nov.21, the ARP for Tatkal tickets has been brought down to one day, and the time period in which agents cannot book Tatkal tickets has been increased to 2 hours, from 8 - 10am.

Oh didn't know. I checked the other changes but somehow must have missed this. Thanks !

have been using IRCTC for d past 4 years.. Its good, clear and transparent and its the official vendor for tickets. Though they charge 10 or 20 bucks but I wont mind spending 20 extra bucks for my peace of mind!

The only issue is that most of the time the website is very slow.

Rest, no issues and complaints ever!

---

- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Try out the MMT interface once, personally I find it way more flexible than IRCTC

They charge Rs 20 more than IRCTC, but its worth it

The site is quite smooth as well, IRCTC has been unusuable outside of tatkal timings for the past few weeks. By the time the search result comes up on IRCTC, you can complete the booking on MMT

Add to that the multi day and multi class display for MMT and way faster refunds (cancelled tkt on sat, amount in bank acc. on monday) : MMT is worth the Rs 20

Unless you are booking Tatkal, in which case you dont have a choice

In IRCTC, charges are - Rs 10 for second class reservation and Rs 20 for AC reserv.

However, I had found it nearly impossible to book Tatkal ticket b/w 8-9 am in IRCTC portal.. Either the site doesnt open or works extremely slow.. :(

irctc is the core and so no matter from what 3rd party you book the ticket, gateway is via irctc. Only major downfall is irctc site runs pretty pathetic at times when we need it the most. Rest, its the best!! Even noobs and illiterates can handle it like a pro.

Well, you can book through makemytrip, thomascook or any other site. but in the end all you are doing is using a wrapper over irctc and paying extra money for that. They all pay to irctc and than charge you extra for their site.

In short there is just no point going for them, go for irctc, its good.

+1 for IRCTC, booking Tatkal tickets is a pain due to congestion coupled with a slow server, but have been successful a couple of times. Peak hours, the site is slow, but at night the speed is better.

Yes, IRCTC is the way to go for sure.

But at times, IRCTC becomes slower like hell, in that case I use Makemytrip though they charges Rs. 10/- more.

IRCTC is cheaper and is reliable but slow. But, MMT interface is far superior, it's easier to find trains and all. I would say use MMT for research and IRCTC to book.:eek:hyeah:

if on andriod do try out ngpay. While it is the again a wrapper on top of irctc, it is pretty much optimized for mobile.

Plus I dont know how, but at times when irctc refuses to open, it still works and is able to book tickets sucessfully. Ofcourse you cant book tatkal tickets from 8-10 am is a pain and they charge 10 bucks extra per ticket over irctc rate for sleeper class

Kevin Lane said:
IRCTC is cheaper and is reliable but slow. But, MMT interface is far superior, it's easier to find trains and all. I would say use MMT for research and IRCTC to book.:eek:hyeah:

I would vote for IRCTC for ticket booking, however for finding trains try erail.in, its superfast and has a very simple interface not very fancy though ;-)

Back