Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi win Nobel Peace

Malala's populaity is just media hype? Definitely not. She is a courageous girl who stood up against religious extremists who consider females less than human. Fame and media came later, but you can't use that as justifications to deny what she stood up for earlier, and still continues to do now.

Last edited:
What did she do to deserve a nobel?

She was going to school. Got shot. Somebody wrote an emotional blog about her. And boo. She became an overnight celebrity. There are others who have suffered more.

Tell me what has she done to deserve a nobel?

All she did was she got shot, and media portrayed her as some kind of a hero. How is she different form another girl who went to school and didnt get shot?

terrorists didn't want girls from her area/community to attend school. typical talibans. she or her parents didn't pay any heed to the death threats. she was selectively targeted by the terrorists. it wasn't just random firing on a school bus.

this is what i vaguely remember as i followed the incident when it happened long time back.

after she recuperated, she did a lot to inspire other girls/women. it takes a lot of courage to stand against the oppressors.

Nobel Peace Prize seems to be given away to whoever is the media's darling.
What exactly did Obama do to recieve the Nobel peace prize? Attack less number of countries compared to George W. Bush?

Okay guys, another person..

Just looked at the wiki page for Kailash Satyarthi.
All the prized he received were awarded by foriegn countries/organisation.
He hasn't received any prize from Indian Govt till now.

Should he accept any awards offered by Indian Govt or Indian Govt agencies now?

(If I remember correctly, Amartaya Sen was also in similar situation, Indian Govt failed to recognize him before Noble prize..)

I wanted Snowden to win. But that may result in drone attacks to Nobel Committee.. :)

And yea, I really don't understand what that girl did to deserve a Nobel Prize. I am sure there are at least a million small girls in India who goes through far worse odds. But yea, none of them are poster material.
So maybe that's why. Or is it she got shot in face and lived to tell that tale? Or is it coz she was shot by Taliban and this can be used to put more spot light on them?

What guts are you talking about? Why has she run away to the UK to study now? Why abandon Balochistan?
Are you drunk bro? You're talking like the bhakts do on twitter. Senseless yapping.

Why has she run away to UK? I don't know if she has, but do you only get a nobel prize for being stupid enough to die proving a point? She has become the focal point of women's right movement. A school kid that stood up to a whole Terrorist organization. She did that at an age when you were probably still pooping your pants. Now do you see when she got the nobel prize?

Have some sense when you point fingers at people who have shown great courage, when the world needed it the most. I understand the urge to be
nonconformist, but you couldn't have chosen a worst instance.

Last edited:
^^

Well. I see what you "trying" to convey. Its true. But still, Do you really believe that no one else is there in 2014 that deserves this more?

What guts are you talking about? Why has she run away to the UK to study now? Why abandon Balochistan?

She was taken for her treatment and before being "shot to the head" so did not run away; and she had apparently all ready received threats from the Taliban people. But she persisted and continued to school and stood up for women's rights. At her young age of 14 she was writing about her dire experiences in Pakistan and trying to receive an education. She was literally pushed to the ground, her nose rubbed in it and left to die. She stood back up and her agenda is strong. She is a beacon for the betterment of women-hood in South Asia. Not just Pakistan. India's situation is no better regarding women. Both these awards are a slap to the two large nations in South Asia. One for women's rights and one for no law and order regarding child labor and exploitation.

How can you expect her to go back since she will be killed a couple of days after setting foot in Pakistan. Though the Taliban has been ousted out, but insurgency still continues. And regarding anyone could have done this, or it happens to everyone: YES, that is the cause. So the numbers of these "anyones" diminishes and lessens, that is what her foray is..! Unless you are in a war: it is not "common" to be shot in the head (her age), survive, and speak about it highlighting the malign society. If you think it is common, great.

Are you drunk bro? You're talking like the bhakts do on twitter. Senseless yapping.

Why has she run away to UK? I don't know if she has, but do you only get a nobel prize for being stupid enough to die proving a point? She has become the focal point of women's right movement. A school kid that stood up to a whole Terrorist organization. She did that at an age when you were probably still pooping your pants. Now do you see when she got the nobel prize?

Have some sense when you point fingers at people who have shown great courage, when the world needed it the most. I understand the urge to be
nonconformist, but you couldn't have chosen a worst instance.

IMO this nobel is as hypocritical as the one given to Amartya Sen. (Didnt he first propound a theory, then went back on it, and then was given a nobel for the work he went back on?)

Same is the case with this one. When she was an activist and braving threats, then nothing. Now when she has abandoned the cause and is living comfortably in the UK.

"Malala now lives in Birmingham with her family and started at Edgbaston high school for girls in March 2013. She is determined to keep in touch with her Pashtun culture, believing that it teaches patience, peace and religious tolerance."

I would like to draw another more controversial analogy. Subash C. Bose. You know why he is not that well praised? (apart from the fact that he was not a congressman) The fact is that he did not take on the British might from within. He chose to run away. Same is with Dalai Lama. Had these two chosen to stay in their country. Stay defiant. Then things would have been different.

She was taken for her treatment and before being "shot to the head" so did not run away; and she had apparently all ready received threats from the Taliban people. But she persisted and continued to school and stood up for women's rights. At her young age of 14 she was writing about her dire experiences in Pakistan and trying to receive an education. She was literally pushed to the ground, her nose rubbed in it and left to die. She stood back up and her agenda is strong. She is a beacon for the betterment of women-hood in South Asia. Not just Pakistan. India's situation is no better regarding women. Both these awards are a slap to the two large nations in South Asia. One for women's rights and one for no law and order regarding child labor and exploitation.

How can you expect her to go back since she will be killed a couple of days after setting foot in Pakistan. Though the Taliban has been ousted out, but insurgency still continues. And regarding anyone could have done this, or it happens to everyone: YES, that is the cause. So the numbers of these "anyones" diminishes and lessens, that is what her foray is..! Unless you are in a war: it is not "common" to be shot in the head (her age), survive, and speak about it highlighting the malign society. If you think it is common, great.

Back